Notices

Step 2

Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 2

"Came to believe that a power greater th ourselves could restore us to sanity"

I had a hard time with this. All arguments about the nature of alcoholism medically and psychologically put aside, wasn't I the one who continued to drink after the bad effects? I felt this was a bit of a cop-out.

I am spiritual, and scientific. It took me to realize that believing that "God" was a part of every thing, including myself, for me to swallow this step. Praying that God would help me do a good job at work each day is praying to both a universal power and that ity-bitty piece of God that resides in me. It was not too egotistical of me. It was the same with praying for sobriety.

My scientific side had a harder time. That is when I realized that even science, which is a power much greater than me, supported the idea that I cannot drink. So even my concerns about being spiritually inept and/or egotistical could be put aside. Science has declared me an alcoholic. Therefore this power bids me not to drink.

I hope my thoughts on this are not offensive to anyone. It is good for me to write it out in a forum.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I had a basic agreement towards step 2 before I just made a simple decision for step 3 and immediately wrote step 4. I also immediately shared step 5 with my sponsor and moved through the steps.

Step 2 came to life and I did come to believe in a power greater than me after I worked steps 5-7 (5-12 really) with my sponsor.

The next day, for me, step 2 was real.

I can't explain it further, so I believe I had a spiritual awakening as a result of working the 12 steps (yes, we got through 12 steps in 2 days; it was vital for me to have them done quickly). My experiences.

Thanks for sharing, Catfry!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
one of many

I knew deep down that there was a god. It was the beauty in nature that first clued me in, but the power of the fellowship and witnessing selfless motives really blew my mind away. In a world full of cruelty and hate I had almost given up all hope of ever finding any good in humanity. Then after going to meetings I encountered the good of humanity. In those moments I was changed forever. Faith and hope were no longer theories or something to be read about in old books, they were something more real and alive. They came to life before my eyes and I knew it was a miracle that people could rise from such despair and find life again. If God did not exist, it would not be possible to find hope and life again, but he does exist and gives life to those who seek him in fellowship. The power that saved them is the same power that can save me, the lord God almighty.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I had a basic agreement towards step 2 before I just made a simple decision for step 3 and immediately wrote step 4. I also immediately shared step 5 with my sponsor and moved through the steps.

Step 2 came to life and I did come to believe in a power greater than me after I worked steps 5-7 (5-12 really) with my sponsor.

The next day, for me, step 2 was real.

I can't explain it further, so I believe I had a spiritual awakening as a result of working the 12 steps (yes, we got through 12 steps in 2 days; it was vital for me to have them done quickly). My experiences.

Thanks for sharing, Catfry!
You nailed it Sugarbear. I think of it as Step 2, realized ! It happened for me in the 9th. Step. It was a psychic change, wherein the urge to drink was removed. It is by design that Bill W. put the 12 Promises in the 9th Step section because that is when the real magic starts as we have our spiritual awakening. I can say without reservation it was the most monumental moment of my entire life.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Those "9th step promises" are only a few of the many in that textbook!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Those "9th step promises" are only a few of the many in that textbook!
I love the 7 promises of the 3rd. & 5th Step also. You are right and there are many more I am sure you have experienced.