My Story Soberforlife1

Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story Soberforlife1

In this blog, having been around recovery since the age of 10, I will try to share my experience, strength and hope with our readers. We will reference the Big Book of Alcolics Anonymous(AA), the Holy Bible and the precepts of the Oxford group.

I was in pain and nothing went my way. No matter what I did, it would always turn out bad. I was working with the U.S. Coast Guard and being investigated on drug charges because I destroyed drugs I found with one of our cooks that was pretty hot. I was interogated for 5 hours by Coast Guard Intelligence (CGI) and went to the local Margaritaville to have a beer and wind down. I lost my best friend and my wife due to drinking and had a violent scrmish at a local bar.

The beer began to speak after a couple drinks and told me "I will not help you anymore."
In was finally convinced I was an alcoholic. After 3 treatment centers and periods of intermintant sobriety, I left the drink unfinished, went home and cried myself to sleep.

I came back to AA with my tail between my legs. I was careful though, I've seen many come in and out. I wanted the kind of sobriety that would last. I wanted sobriety from those who "Got it". I asked a man. who seemed to have his act together, to be my sponsor and he told me to read the appendix of the "Big Book" entitled "Spiritual experience".

Many things started going throough my head like, "Why are we starting at the back of the book?"
I was going to daily meetings and I would share that I needed help! I never heard from my sponsor and a man pulled me aside and asked me a few questions. "Are you an alcoholic?", "Can you believe in a power greater than yourself, that can restore you to sanity?", "Are you willing to go to any lengths to achieve sobriety?"and "Are you willing to turn your will and your life over to that power?"

I answered "Yes!" to all of these questions. He took out some paper asnd had me write out my "Resentments" as they came to mind. He then had me write out my "Fears", once i finished that, I read the lists to him. After I was done reading he asked me how I felt?

I felt a little better and had the personal experience that it worked and that was the only evidence I needed to continue. These steps WORKED!! He congradulated me and shared with me that I have done more than 80% of AA members. He told me to write like this everyday and to call him with my inventory. He shared his experience strength and hope with me and I had a tool to treat alcoholism. I was doing what 80% of AA wasn't doing which was "Working the steps". As I continued, I felt better and better, each time I read to him. I just celebrated 15 years of sobriety utilizing these steps and desire to share them with you. I will attempt to share our experiences in future posts, so stay with us as we share our "Experience, strength and Hope"(ESP)

Last edited by Dee74; 06-21-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: amended title to fit forum guidelines