Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Withdrawing from a small amount of hydrocodone?

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

Around September I was diagnosed with kidney stones that are still coming out and also had a few dental issues. To make a long story short, I had to take a lot of medication!

Now I want to stop cold turkey for 2 reasons that are related:
1) I don't need to take it every day as I was anymore, just as needed
2) I need my tolerance to go down so I don't have to take more pills when I do need them.

Now, I was taking a fairly small amount. 5mg-15mg a day, just depending on the day or what I had to do. Very very rarely would I exceed the amount, maybe 2 or 3 times.(usually when a stone was coming out, I would take 15 mg at the same time)

In order to make sure that this is going to work I talked to my mom about this and am now having her regulate my medication. As for everyone else...I have the flu!

When I have taken none I usually don't get diarrhea or anything. I get headaches and mild anxiety. The worst is the restlessness and the insomnia.

So I guess I have a few questions.

Is there any good natural supplements I can use? I took 1/2 a .5 mg xanax just before writing this and I actually feel great. The last vicodin I took was 7.5 MG about 8 hours ago. However I don't want to substitute an addiction for another addiction, so I want to go to a health store tomorrow and only use the xanax later tonight to sleep and again in the morning. I hear kava is good?

Also how long is the worst part? I hear after 72 hours.

Also one more question, does losing tolerance happen quickly or does it take months?

Thank you all
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honestly you should have a mild to almost no withdrawl with that amount of use. Just keep yourself hydrated and it should pass in a day or two.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by likehappiness View Post
Honestly you should have a mild to almost no withdrawl with that amount of use. Just keep yourself hydrated and it should pass in a day or two.
Thank you

I do have a lot of anxiety and restlessness when i've stopped taking it but I haven't gone more than a day without it. Hopefully you're right and it will pass after 72 hours.

Do you happen to know about my question about tolerance lowering?