Notices

Dropped a dime on the dealers

Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

Dropped a dime on the dealers

I never did this before but I called the police and gave them all the info I could on a drug ring I've known about. I haven't dealt with them in years but they still call my number. I guess because I was such a good customer. Well, enough is enough.

Shockingly, I found the police weren't all that interested. They kept asking for a location and I was like, "There is no location. They operate with cell phones and cars." The lady from the tip line was so unhelpful she kept saying, "Without a location we can't do anything." So I hung up and started calling local precints. Eventually found an officer who was willing to take down the number. They key to getting these guys is the number. It's no wonder crack and dope is so prevalent, these so-called "good guys" don't seem to be able to use valuable information to their own end. I mean, how hard could it be, really? You subpoena phone records, you wiretap the calls, you bust the guys on a delivery and work up the ladder to their source. I mean I'm not a cop, but even I know that.

I had so many bad experiences with these dealers, so many problems...and they have the audacity to keep calling me in my sobriety? OK I get that they're businessmen, yeah I get that, but when someone leaves the drug scene they do it with hard, slow work. Deliberate actions. Methodical and slow. It takes time to build up a skin. And all it takes is one phone call at my weakest moment and I could theoretically relapse. I don't need these calls.

I'm not at all surprised they kept their operation going all these years. If the cops I spoke with are any indication of who they're up against it's my feeling they will continue to operate. I felt almost as if I was annoying them, bothering them, keeping them from their very important work.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there is a high probability that the information you gave was information they already had. they are very well knowledged in what is necessary to arrest people and make it stick.

so, have you blocked the numbers on your phone?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

To my knowledge you can't block cell to cell numbers. Only landlines can do that. It's a business line and have no intention of changing numbers.

Your ever-esteemed faith in the police is duly noted. I, on the other hand, feel they are robots. Made to sound and look human.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hia

On Samsung phones you can block numbers. Hmm...that made me sound like Yoda. Block numbers you can. ha!

It's the only company to my knowledge that does. I know, cos I wanted to block my mom's number, and did!

xx
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its harder than you think. they need solid evidence not just a phone number....
Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have tried doing this as well. It was before my addiction and I was angry that close friends started using. I lived with my mother as an active addict. Sorry if my post sounded negative
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can block up to 5 different numbers on my cellphone? ...go into your account online and it should show you.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i'm not sure how much u know about the law and legal aspects of phone tapping and such, but i am a lawyer know a little bit. granted i am not a criminal defense lawyer, but i can say with 100% certainty, the reason cops need a location is because they need to stake the place out and see certain activities going on. once they see these activities going on that they deem questionable, they then will be able to get ability to tap phones. this is why u need to give location and why landlines are best. if ppl are operating in cars and cellphones, how can u get the proof u need to be able to tap the phone.

also, the police cant do much with a cell phone number. i guess they can call the phone and make one hand to hand deal, but that doesnt amount to much punishment. we dont live in a police state. i assume u are in united states, and in this country the police need proof of wrongdoing before they have ability to tape phones and do searches.

i'm not saying cops/police are without fault, but i have spent time in 3rd world countries and let me just say ppl in usa take cops for granted and give them so much flack.

when was the last time u had ppl walk into your home, beat u up, kick u out and claim ur property as theirs? thank ur local police for making things like that not possible. (i actually worked on cases in nigera where this very thing happens and the police there do nothing)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can you not change your number?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not again

Great to see Melissa....

Continueing Anvil's suggestion, then get a guy to re-recored your vioce mail greeting, you know..."you've reached (insert phone number) please leave a message"...no name, the people calling will know they dialed correctly and the "others" will think you've changed your number.

Be well,
Larry
Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its not the police departments job to maintain your sobriety. If these dealers go away there is always ten more to take there place. You got yourself into this mess. You need to take the necessary steps to break contact with them. Even though you don't want to change your number that's what you need to do to maintain your sobriety . Alcoholics can't have all the liquor stores removed from there neighborhoods and addicts can't have every drug dealer removed. So this is up to you not the police. Dealing with all this frustration could cost you your sobriety. Just change your number and move on with your new life.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have one of the cheapest cell phones there is and it is a Straight Talk phone it has a reject call option.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

I am going to file all these responses under "missed the point."
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

William, I have followed Melissa's journey for a long time and she has really impressed me. When she decided she was done, that was it. This is not about maintaining her sobriety.

I too would want the police to do something. Who can give better tips than an ex-addict?

Melissa, I am so glad to see you posting again and to see that you are still clean.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelissaNoDrugs View Post
heres the point: the problem is you. you are powerless over the police and the dealers and gettign upset because they didnt do what you thought should be done is showing your life is unmamageable.
gripe,moan, and complain about all of the "theys" and get high. get in the solution and take the suggestions here and run with em and stay clean.
if you honestly want to stay clean, you will do whatever ya gotta do, even if it means smashing yer phone. its only a phone.

when i stopped living in the problem and began living in the solution, the problem went away.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by MelissaNoDrugs View Post
The point is you are unhappy with the response you received from the police when you called them. That issue has been addressed here, so pull at least a couple of the responses out of the "missed the point" file and put them in the "addressed, but I didn't like what they said" file.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not again

Miss the piont? I was avoiding it. Too many cans of worms in my life. Personally I think one of the remanants of those old behaviors is a disdain for law enforcement. And it certainly seems everyone, victim or perp, believes the actions of the police were inappropriate. But all I know is I have never, ever had a problem with the police when i didn't deserve it.They haven't knocked on my door since I stopped smoking crack. They don't stop me on the street, but then again I don't go in those neighborhoods.
But i believe the piont was why don't they react to the information. I don't know, maybe they get a lot of phone calls from pissed off addicts that feel they got ripped off. Maybe they just don't operate the way we see it in the movies.
I wish they would make crack go away, but i know I can't be a part of that particular solution. All I can do is ensure it doesn't come back in my life. For me that included moving, changing my phone number and making new friends. It strikes me as odd that the only time I hear about drugs is when i am involved with recovery ie; meetings etc.
It is a confusing life I have created, but with a little effort it keeps getting more managable. I hope yours does too.

Be Well,
Larry