Notices

Getting off Benzos

Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting off Benzos

Hello All,

Some of you may know me from my struggles with opiates. I am clean and feeling good (although only into it by about 10 days). At any rate, I a prescribed Klonopin (1.5mg per day) and Buspar (10mg per day) for general anxiety. I have been on the Klonopin for over a year but have never gotten a buzz from them, taken more than was prescribed (except a bit more during WD) or generally found them to do anything but keep my anxiety under control.

However, in keeping with getting off of hydros, I'd also like to get off of Klonopin. I know the dose is pretty light, but I have been on them a while. I have read around here that kicking benzos can be pretty rough. But, there seems to be a lot more info about opiate withdrawal than benzo withdrawal. Hell, maybe I'll get lucky and not have much of any.

My question to this knowledgeable group is, what should I expect? Anxiety that the benzos were suppressing and lots of it? I realize that my natural state (from observing other family members) is an anxious one. Buspar has helped with that in the past. But, I'd just like to be free of addictive drugs all together with. So, thoughts?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would simply assume that since they are specifically for anxiety which you have a tendency toward naturally that you are going to see an increase in symptoms in that area. I wouldn't be surprised at some jittery extremities or in general. Joint aches and pains also seem to be common. I hate to go back to insomnia all the time but you did see a minor amount of that before and I have seen people take antianxiety meds to sleep during withdrawl. Either way I guess you have to see and maybe you can report back if no one with more knowledge chimes in.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Louisdg wishing you the best. I have zero knowledge to offer you other than encouragement.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sent you a PM that might be of assistance.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm new here. Sorry can't help with the benzos. I'm an alcoholic. 2 years sober. I'll send you a friend request. I love this site. Peace.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Buspar is not a drug of abuse/addiction iirc.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aNewEternity View Post
Buspar is not a drug of abuse/addiction iirc.
misinformation like this has the power to kill.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not concerned about the BuSpar. I have gone on and off it many times with no ill effects. I am not sure how one could use it recreationally or abuse it. I have spoken with both my doctor and therapist about it and heard nothing but good things about its low side-effects, etc. In short, it has been good for me. However, if someone has information or personal experience to the contrary, I am all ears.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
misinformation like this has the power to kill.
In human and animal studies, Buspirone has shown no potential for abuse or diversion and there is no evidence that it causes tolerance, or either physical or psychological dependence.

Buspirone Official FDA information, side effects and uses.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

While I take the occasion .5 mg of xanax for anxiety, I have found something that has worked wonders for me. It's not a oil either....
Just watch this and let it sink in:
No fear in the now. [VIDEO]
Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi louisdq,

I'm a recovering benzo addict (klonopin specifically) and have been off them for a year and a half now.. When I got clean, my worst physical symptom was joint pain (knees, elbows and neck), which lasted for about 2 weeks. This was the worst because absolutely nothing would take the pain away, but it didn't last for too long. I also had sweaty hands and some panic during the first month. But since you've only been taking them for a year, the symptoms might not be too bad. You may have some initial anxiety but it definitely goes away once your body gets used to not having the klonopin in your system. Good luck and stay with it!! Just remember every negative side effect is temporary...
Old 06-09-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As a survivor from a brutal cold-turkey detox from a prescribed dosage of 20 milligrams of Klonopin, I pray you are under a tapering schedule supervised by a doctor well versed in benzo addiction and withdrawal.

I do want to assure you that withdrawal from 1.5 milligrams taken for a year or less presents a great chance that your detox will not be severe.

Then again, I see many people struggling mightily to get off relatively small dosages. Do read the benzo recovery boards, but please don'tread of symptoms and run into a self-fulfilling prophecy situation.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
As a survivor from a brutal cold-turkey detox from a prescribed dosage of 20 milligrams of Klonopin, I pray you are under a tapering schedule supervised by a doctor well versed in benzo addiction and withdrawal.

I do want to assure you that withdrawal from 1.5 milligrams taken for a year or less presents a great chance that your detox will not be severe.

Then again, I see many people struggling mightily to get off relatively small dosages. Do read the benzo recovery boards, but please don'tread of symptoms and run into a self-fulfilling prophecy situation.
Yes!!!!!!!
I am on a very slow taper from Xanax and this is NOT a race...