Old 05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Thanks Amy!

TOD
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Chickory: Here's the picture I promised of me when I was younger. That was my dog, "Boots". He followed me every where I went. The chicken I'm holding was one of those Easter dyed chicks my parents got for me. As you can see from the worn out mop hanging on the wall. My mom was/is a clean person.

My older sister gave mom a vinyl covered tablet for Christmas. She told her to start writing about her life stories in it. She was reading some of the stories to me last night. Things she had written I'd never known before. One of them was about "Boots".

TB: See I didn't lie! I had those fat cheeks even back then. LOL

Love ya
TOD
Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((TOD))) - awwww, what a precious picture!! I love the "life stories" thing. Though my mom is gone, aunt Phyllis is my family historian and I could listen to her forever

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Mom and dad are always telling stories about their pasts. We've been telling them they need to make a recording on video or some other way to get these documented for future generations. Just like I told her last night. My grandkids' kids will have these stories to listen to or read some day in the future. It's unimagineable to some of our younger generation today what these folks are talking about in their past and what they had to endure. I know I'm amazed at some of the things they talk about and what they lived thru to make it.

I didn't know that mom's house burnt down when she was 3 years old. She said, Papa had picked her up and set her in a rocking chair while running around. She wouldn't leave that chair so he picked chair and her up to take her outside. Because all their shoes had burned up in the fire. She rode on her uncles back 1/2 a mile down the road to their Aunts house to stay with her. It was during the winter and there was snow on the ground.

Your Aunt Phyllis should start writing stories down. Because when THEY are gone. So are the stories. I told mom I have a brand new small video camera she could use to start recording if she wanted to. I've had it for several years now and it's never been used. A high dollar item sitting and collecting dust on the bag it's in. Hmmmmmmm

I forgot to mention. The picture frame is what my older sister made for me for Christmas. She went to the dollar store and bought those little stick on animals. Then she took the picture from mom's and enlarged it. I thought it was a beautiful gift and ideal.

My momma made that dress I'm wearing too.

Love ya
TOD
Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((TOD))) - Totally cool. I have (I think..may be in storage) a picture of me and g'ma (mom's mom) in matching dresses that she made for us. Also have a picture of mom and I in matching shirts.

I remember uncle Bob had a journal/album thing (about 90-ish years old) but will have to ask aunt Phyllis. I did find a lot of letters that mom and I got when I was growing up. Her family had "round robin" letters..each person that got it would add to it and pass it on. The letters and cards have a lot of history in them.

When dad and I went to AR, I took the letter mom's cousin had sent us. It was from mom, telling about her surprise retirement party from the church. I have yet to read the whole thing..get about halfway through and fall apart, but so did aunt Phyllis so I don't feel bad. I am really blessed that I still have so much left, considering I walked away from everything/one I had for crack

Elvis is all snuggled up on me, again. Seems to be okay and he glares at me when I change positions so I think that's a good sign. Thinking I have arthritis - left ankle and knee have been hurting, haven't done anything to either, the pain wakes me up when I do get some sleep...dammit.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TOD: Oh do get those stories on a recorder! I have about three cassette tapes of my grandfather telling life stories - they are amazing. He immigrated from Ireland when he was 17 in 1917. Living history - I spent a good deal of time transcribing them when I was younger but hearing his voice is priceless.

From the time I was a very little girl I use to sit at the kitchen table with him...sipping tea and hanging on his every word. I think everyone else tired of listening but I never did. When I was in my twenties I got smart and recorded him. At the time I wasn't really thinking of why.....but I just knew deep down that those stories needed to be kept. One of the smartest things I ever did in my life.

Love your picture.....you were so cute!! I particularly like your shoes....and the cheeks!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

(((TOD))) Awwww, what a precious looking chicken, is so adorable. And you look cute too. I thought the arm services don't take people with flat feet? (scratching head)

Just kidding....lol. Your adorable, fact checks and all. How old was you there.

Lova ya
TB
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((tb))) how do you find pictures of every thing you want to? joking about not having a phone to call ue office, with this picture? you are killin me!!!lol i love your sense of humor, tb. dont ever change.

((((lenina and FuzzyB))) I joined a fip group tonight, waiting for approval. am doing some reading on it. There is not much they can do to treat, except for palliative treatments. making him more comfortable. there are possible meds that can help that, i read on Marvistavet, a great resource i have used for years. here is a little bit on drawing of fluids.

Removing the effusion
Suctioning of the effusion will ease the difficulty breathing of a cat with fluid in its chest but even removing the effusion from the belly helps remove a large source of inflammation. Some cats experience a temporary improvement with the fluid removed.
I feel so sad for your darling babyboy. I know you love him so. My heart is with you both.
as it is also with you (((tpa))) and your girl. she might be making sounds , like my cats did, when on some meds that made them feel loopy. they got verbal, too. she is bound to feel some discomfort, even with pain meds, when it gets near time for her next dose. hard to have surgery like that and not have some discomfort. you are doing an awesome job of caring for your darling.
all of you are. such loving people.
and (((tod))), were you born with a chicken in your arms????lol. what a precious picture, such a pretty girl. your mom was quite a seamstress, wasn't she!
(((amy))), as long as (((Elvis))) isn't eating the litter, or straining to pee or pooh, I would not worry too much. just keep an eye on him. is it a new litter? If he is eating or licking the litter, he could be anemic. but he sure seems to be active, running and jumping. maybe he is constipated? or uti, if he is trying to pee often. hopefully , he is just trying to freak you out, so you will give him more lovely treats.lol.

love you guys.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Chicory))) - No, he's not eating the litter, he just lays in it? I've given him a bit of water, he's been sprawled on my lap. Gums are the same color, so though I know he has anemia, I don't see that it's gotten worse. He doesn't flinch or anything, no matter where I pet him, so I'm just keeping an eye on him, keep giving him a bit of water. He looks content, I just have a feeling he's getting worse

Sure wish we could keep our furbabies with us forever. I haven't felt so good today, either, a little light-headed but BP and pulse are fine, maybe just not sleeping much, school starting on Monday, whatever. Going to try to get to sleep in just a bit.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I read alot on litter box lounging. lol. seems there are cats who like the familarity of it, like the comfort of it, and just like small, snug areas. it is quite common.
just enjoy each day sweetie. we dont know what tomorrow will bring, so we should live in today, love in today, and just be as happy as we can. no one is guaranteed tomorrow, but right now, we can snuggle, and cuddle all we want with our furkids.
get some good sleep hon. bet you are in a furnest of furkids!lol
love ya.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Chickory: Believe it or not? I use to be afraid of chickens. LOL Mom use to say I'd rather ride an elephant than ever get near a chicken. When I was a little older than what I am in that picture. I had a hen attack me because I was playing with her babies. The latch on the small wire cage wasn't latched and the babies were on the outside of the cage eating and scratching in the grass. After that attack I wouldn't go near a chicken.

When I moved back to AR from WI in 1999. C had bought some baby chicks. After dealing wtih them for a month she said for me to come get them. I first told her, Hell NO! But then I gave in. We already had mallard ducks so why not add some chickens to the yard as well. But of course I went to the feed store and saw my first baby cotton ball in the cage with all the other babies. I bought six of them. They slept under a blanket on top of my blanket in the bed with me for a month. I used my body heat coming up thru the lower blanket to keep them warm and to make them feel like they were under a momma hen with the blanket on top of them.

I covered the floor and furniture in the living room with sheets. They lived in the house until they got big enough to go outside. My older sister saw the sheets on the clothes line every day and asked if I was washing my bed sheets every day! LOL When the hens got old enough to lay their first egg. They'd come to the door and want back inside to their box with hay in it that they slept in each night. They would just about destroy that hay scratching and pecking at the hay until they finally laid their egg. Then they'd start cackling and I'd come in to get them. After loving on her and telling her what a good girl she was. I'd take her back outside. So that became the daily routine. Put them out, let the hens back in to lay their egg and then back outside.

Love ya
TOD
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

For those that are interested in DOGS! On Modern Marvels right now they are featuring the history of dogs.

TOD
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

To all my friends here. I wanted to share this wonderful link. Hope ya'll can use it at some time.

All My Faves | My Homepage

Love ya
TOD
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another night with little sleep, but at least Elvis is now drinking the water instead of me shoving it down his throat and he slept either on me or the foot of the bed. Brat and bf are moving this weekend...I didn't say anything but couldn't figure why they would wait a month, with a full apt. of stuff. I'm happy for them.

I don't know what's going on with my left knee/ankle but I'm thinking arthritis? Tess had asked me if you could get arthritis "just on one side" and I didn't know - asked aunt Phyllis and she didn't know (she has severe arthritis all over). I usually sleep on my side, but my knee starts aching, then could barely walk when I woke up this morning because of my ankle. I haven't done anything, tripped, fell...nothing, no swelling just OUCH! Will take some ibuprofen and do the one store I have left for this month and will also go by and get my book I need for class on Monday.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My boss just called, we have been given our 30 day notice, so basically I have no job, other than the few stores I can do in June.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((amy)))darn , this is not great timing, but maybe it is your HP's timing. which would mean, as it should be. I am sorry for the extra worries that this brings, but it will work out. just crap tho, for the worries. hugs and prayers, honey.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks ((Chicory)). I just want to cry, but that's not going to do any good. My boss's wife (she's my other boss ) was asked if she wanted a job, a while ago..he's going to get the info for me. She is going back to get her continuing education credits to reinstate her dental hygienist license, but yeah - this has been their sole income for about 25 years?

He kept saying "when a door closes, a window opens" and I just keep telling myself that, over and over along with "HP didn't bring me this far to drop me on my head". Sm is talking about how fast the brat types, she could easily get a job with a temp agency and dad was asking me about it. I've called my classmate buddy, who has worked temp jobs for years and left a message. Told dad and sm it's not just about "typing fast", it's knowing Word, Excel, Power Point. At least I do have some experience with that stuff

Sm did make me feel better, I guess my stepsister is saying Brit's wedding is an inconvenient for her and the brat said "I don't care, MY family will be there...my "daddy B" and Amy". I know I complain about her, but I was there the day she was born, I will be there the day she gets married, and hopefully, the day she has her baby.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-31-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

(((Amy))) When it rains it pours. So many unfortunate things are happening at once to all of us. Sorry to hear this terrible news. May you gain a little comfort knowing others care. Stay close to your recovery friends and think positive thoughts at the end it will all work out. I wish I was nearby to come and just hold your hand. Bless you, my Friend. My Prayers and thoughts are with you.

Big hugs to you.
TB
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((((Amy)))) Aww man! do check out the temp agencies. Hubs used to get jobs that way. Out here, we have Apple One and Man Power. The jobs usually lasted a few weeks but one did lead to a permanent position for a while. Plus, it's a good way to network, meet people in town and get personal referrals. Worth checking out, I think.

((((TOD)))) Very cute pic and how clever the frame! What a treasure! Do see about sitting down with your Mom, a pot of coffee and the tape recorder! You might prepare some questions in advance to keep the conversation flowing. Hubs and I did this with my great aunt, the one who influenced me in so many ways! she was such a character! So funny! We had some picture albums and she told us stories about the day they were taking, what the back story was. good stuff! I'd had no idea she played basketball in college! Who woulda thought? I didn't even know they had basketball back then!

(((chicory))) my darling girl! Thanks for the info. We had to drag the FuzzyBout from undert he bed this morning to give him his meds. He's so weak. the meds do make him hungry and we've had Fancy Feast at the ready. Also, we've have his favorite drinking vessel, Hubs bedside water glass, out and full. Why do cats just love to drink out of a glass rather than their nice, fresh bowl? Anyway, he's plenty weak, best I can see, his gums are very pale.

((((TPA)))) How did Hazel do throughout the night? Did she enjoy having the carpet slumber party with you? I bet she was greatly comforted with you at her side. Our poor babies. Will the vet tech maybe make a house call to medicate? My friend tells me we have such a service here in town but it's pricey.

(((TB))). I've been looking for a good video for you.

((((JayBird))). How are you doing? caught up under the relentless boot of grinding Capitalism? LOL Yeah, I like to eat and sleep indoors too.

(((Cangel))). Yeah, I don't know what you've seen but in my case with M or A's I've seen a degradation of the product and job loss. Seems the lowest common denominator reigns. Just my impression. I make an effort in my town to use local merchants as I can. Dry cleaners, restaurants, goods and services. Its getting harder and harder, I'm afraid. I was counting the empty store fronts on our main streets as I was walking and it saddens me.
I think now is probably Not the time to be reading Emile Zola! LOL I think I'll put it back on the shelf for a bit.

Much love too all!

Lenina