Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

So.. what do you guys do to take your mind off opiates??

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have no money and stealing isn't an option for me... Burned way too many bridges... I want to quit so bad but I CANNOT stop thinking about this ****....

What do you guys do to get your mind off this crap???
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

can you talk to somebody? If you can not, which many times attempting to quit I could not, this site will help. Get out of the house, find something to do, talk to a friend, make sure all of your sources are cut off. You have to have the will to quit if you really are willing to quit. I truly believe that idle hands are the devils hands...you have to stay busy! Try to do everything you can to stay away...we are here for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your words ring too true man... Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

I thought doing this stuff was so fun at first.. but then the technicality of addiction kicked in and you cannot get this stuff off your mind once you have the monkey on your back.

Thank god im not sick physically this time.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Boredom is a sure fire way to keep your addict brain in overdrive! Find something interesting to do and DO IT!
Exercise is a SUPERB way to calm your mind down too! I cannot do the gym thing anymore so I took up bicycle riding. After a good 6-8 mile ride, I feel like I just took a xanax.
In the last few months, my mind is clearer and I've had to buy new smaller pants. The exercise thing sucks but becomes habit after a while.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

exercise!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anything to stay busy. Honestly, that is the burden of the addict and non-addict... filling your time between things you have to do. Take on extra work, go to the zoo, buy a jigsaw puzzle, take up the bassoon, whatever works for you. Even in my sober days I found myself somewhat depressed and anxious when I didn't have enough to do. Talking with friends, just to pass the time and share their company can also be a great boost. Best of luck, it ain't easy but you can do it.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know this isn't a 12 step forumn, but I think the guidance in the 7th chapter of the Big Book ring true:

"PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail." (BB page 89)

Not sure if you are a member of AA or CA, or DAA. They all use the Big Book. WOrking with fellow sufferers has helped me immensely.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keeping the attic clean

I started reading books, taking walks, and nice hot baths.

Right now any amount of stress kicks me in overdrive. My emotions are all over the place. I keep thinking I need to keep it together and try to find some strength.

You got to have some friends to pour your soul out to. Someone you can be honest with that will not judge you and that is a positive person. You need to be around people that can help you through the tough times.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it is important to be able to talk to people about what you are going though--while you are going through it.

Keeping it a secret makes it worse. For this reason, I found it hard to go to 12-step meetings when in the midst of a struggle. But I did start calling friends and telling them that I was having a hard weekend. Sometimes I would ask if we could meet for dinner. They might not have understood what I was going through, but I could not have gotten through those rough days without their help.

My sponsors said this was not how to do recovery--that we should not depend on other people to stay clean, but I think you do have to get help from other people when you are in the midst of the struggle.

You say that you burned bridges....is there ANYONE you can call?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Asap

You gotta be strong... The last thing to go away Is the devil in ur ear saying .... "just take one more... We're quit tommarow." be strong... Change friends and change number and lose numbers.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The very second I think about opiates is the second I SHUT my eyes and think about breathing. NOTHING else. Just for 10 seconds.
Then I quickly find something to do. No matter what it is. Picking up a little bit around my room, or working out.

For me, it's like attacking the sensation, then quickly do something productive that benefits me. Like cleaning, running errands, working out or even cooking something good to eat.

The absolute worst you can do is be around people who have it or are on it. The second worst is sitting there and doing nothing but thinking about it. Eventually that little voice will win. So attack it. Shut your eyes, breath and shut it off. Count to ten, open your eyes, and DO SOMETHING!
It dosent have to be much! Something... anything... cause if you have time to sit and think about it, then you have time to do something.