Notices

Pain?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain?

I started taking pain meds for my back about 3 years ago. Got addicted and my addiction took over my life.
I've now been clean for almost 40 days. One issue-when I walk a lot I get very bad pain in my back. I'm going to have family in town this weekend and we are going somewhere Saturday which requires a lot of walking. I'm usually in tears after walking all day.
Would it be considered a relapse if I got a couple pain meds for when I have stuff like this?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you can't take it you can't take it. There is a reason for the drugs and they are effective at getting rid of the pain. It's not a relapse..
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sry btw...I am not myself at the moment. Very aggravated and hateful.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive tried many other non-narcotic pain relievers and nothing else touches the pain.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally feel your pain, i am a teacher and daiily my back throbs. There are some points in the day that I feel that no matter how much I do not want to take the meds, I will have to take them. Then I get home from work, take a nice shower and rest as much as I can with a toddler. By the evening I have usually thought about it. i am going to try and not take them again EVER unless I have no other option (surgery etc). I will lay in bed all day if I have too, do yoga, take ibuprofen, anything but allow myself to take just one..One will lead to many, been down that road way too many times.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've come to the same conclusion. I will get thru it, I have done it before! Maybe one day i can get to a point and only take them as needed for very bad pain but im not there yet and I know that.

Thanks all!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Missy....I am in your shoes. I was off the pills for about 50 days and pulled my back....thought it would not hurt to take a few...I took about 6 pills in 5 days and ended up constipated and now have terrible nausea and can't keep any food down. I am not sure if it is the w/d returning or not but I am not in good shape.....I regret taking the pills again. Hope you work this out as I am in the same boat when it comes to doing a bunch of walking.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm back and forth on it. I walked a lot Friday and my pain level was extreme all weekend from it any time I'd do any walking. I'm going to talk to my dr because being miserable when I have family visiting is not an option for me again. I want to enjoy myself. If I walk for an hour or more I'm miserable. Taking breaks doesn't help. There's stuff I want to do that includes walking! I'm pretty upset and conflicted about it.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In NA they say "One is too many and a thousand is never enough". Every time I've ever took opiates for legitimate pain while clean, I've relapsed.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am agreeing only with those that say DON'T DO IT! FIND ANOTHER WAY! I quit for 15 years and the first time I had an opportunity due to severe pain the first thought that entered my head was "This could be fun for a few days." One pill and the feeling washed over me and I was gone for 3 years. It was a horror. I am now 19 days clean for the first time in 3 years. 3 years of my life gone for one pill and another and another ......
I guarantee that if you do it the pain will only get worse as the need drives the pain. If it were me the fact that the pain is an opening for the drug would make the pain worse as it makes it more essential. "I can't stand it anymore. I have to do something."

I don't disagree with going to the Dr. but think about it. The Dr. has only one alternative most of the time - pills. If he/she knows that you can't take narcotics then it will be gabapentin - ick. Otherwise it will be an unsatisfactory low level pain medication like Tramadol. I can get high on Tramadol but it isn't any fun and it makes me want to get a "good" high.

Meds from the Dr. make it a sanctioned high and make it easier. "The Dr. told me to do it." Excuses are excuses and lead down the road to hell. If you need a map to show you the way to hell I can draw you one in my sleep - if I could sleep.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't do it. 1 pill can take you down. Speaking only for me but the pain caused to myself and others from the addiction has been worse than any physical pain I've ever endured.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Give me an AMEN on that one lostgirl.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have taken suboxon/subutex 8mg x 3 a day for about 8 yrs now when i first started the pharmacy told me they are not addictive thats the first ? my mom asked him so i took them. now i find i can not get off them without going threw a great deal of pain have tried to lower the dose still alot of pain. so i called the comp. that makes them they told me at this point i might have to take them for the rest of my life! couldnt believe it. they are so much money im almost going into forclosure.if they are going to give you a drug thats so much money they should have a drug to get you off the stuff. if you think about it the street drugs are way cheeper you go for help and its expensive.dont get it! thinking of calling the comp. back,rickitte&benckiser 866-512-2216 if anyone else has this prob. alot of calls might help get this comp. thinking (lawsuits). maybe it will get them thinking a bit about what they are doing to some of us thx
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Consider being 100% honest with a doctor ( withholding nothing) and take any medication under their direction
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

When taking prescription pain meds became a non-option I was actually amazed at how much pain I could tolerate. People w/ out addiciton issues wouldn't immediately think of taking prescription meds for aches and pains.. ya know?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

cmfjhelp,

You mention that when you try to get off the subs you have a lot of pain. How long did you stick it out? Symptoms of withdrawl include a certain amount of joint pain and certainly was a part of mine. Pain is exaggerated by the need for the drug as you try to pull away. Your nerve endings are screaming for attention and will persist for a while before they settle down.

One way to look at this is that you will have to take these or something else if that is what you you want to do. If you do not then you may hve to grit your teeth and get through this tough stage. Switching to another ddrug simply delays what may need to be done.

I can know only for me but what I know is that there would be no drug on the face of the planet that would ease the process. Delay, delay delay. The pain only lasts a few days but if it remains then you have to find a different way to manage it. Using is using, prescription, scrounge or purchased on the street for me and there is no in between.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

cmfjhelp

i did not try that long as i ran out of money for 3 days without lowering my dose that is 8mg x 3 a day. so im sure thats why it was so painful.i am trying to cut the pills in half and try 2 and a half for a while see how it goes when ever ive tried to do this i wake-up at night and flip around like a fish out of water pain and me dont mix well at all cant take it.would never wish this on anyone,somehow i guess i will keep trying with some help of this page.i thank-you for reading my post and yes im very honest with my dr. its the only way he can help me pls.write me again it does help to talk to someone who is going threw the same thing others dont get it when they have never walked in your shoes before.once i was in a recovery center my husband found me in bed out of it as i took to much xanax i was there for 3 days they gave me something and other meds. but i remember one pill that made me feel alot better and only got that one dose as i was in there i didnt take the subutex for the 3 days and had no withdraw symptoms i wish i knew what it was? i think the pharmacy company does have meds to help get off this stuff but they make alot of money from subutex/suboxone dr. do to per script they write.just like im sure they have a cure for cancer if they cure us they make a lose (cash). no sick people,not much money for meds.well back to the real prob. i need to keep trying and trying and one day hope to write you I DID IT IM CLEAN!!!! thx for everyones help.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

cmfjhelp

Expect that whenever you finally "cut the chord" you will have some pain as I mentioned before. Tapering may work for you but be careful as you are still feeding the beast one way or the other. Yes there are drugs to help but they only continue to mask the symptoms you were trying to bury in the first place.

"Flopping around like a fish out of water" is also probably an unavoidable symptom of withdrawl. Opiates cause the brain's natural development of serotonin to shut down as it doesn't need to work while opiates are present. The same is true of alcohol. When the opiates are removed we no longer have a mechanism to go to sleep. It takes quite some time to get this started again. I am now 29 days clean of oxy and still struggle to get sleep. I trash the bed for tossing and turning and basically thrashing about. There is, therefore, a significant desire to try to find something to help as the length of the night with no sleep is immense. I am managing to deal with the desire to find medicinal help for this and the sleep deprivation just as you will. I am getting through work and life and eventually become so fatigued that I fall asleep. My brain has struggled to find a way to make serotonin but is doing a great job with adrenalin which seems to keep me going. I am now getting about 1/2 normal sleep but I am not taking any drugs at all and it feels great. I know that there is NOTHING that I can take that affects me in ANY way. There are sleeping pills, of course, but if I knew that there was a pill to put me to sleep I would never get away from it. I would end up like Michael Jackson trying to find an anesthesiologist to run an IV. I would rather not sleep than go back to any more drugs.

I can "hear" your struggle in your words. Stay with it. There really is no easy way out. Help from fellow fools is helpful as you can see.

By the way, there is no medical conspiracy to hide a cure for cancer.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oxyfriend

thx for checking-up on me,means alot! still going to try and taper down that seems to be the answer.ive read on this page someone took requip for the restless leg symptoms i wounder if that might also work to help my (fish out of water jumping around in bed prob.)my legs hurt so bad along with my hole body,even my eyelashes hurt,the pounding in my head i can go on and on but it seems everyone has been through this they no how bad it is.i dont mind the subutex even if i have to take it the rest of my life at a lower dose as long as i can afford it. ive heard it gets alot cheeper as you taper down the dose i just dont like the idea that i have to take a pill to get out of bed and this is one pill you need till your off. its differant with the thyroid pill if you miss it oh well,as i read what ppl write it scares me to death of what im facing.i also think about what ive read of that rapid withdraw were you go into a detox hosp. and clean your system that way,as you have read im a big baby with pain some can take it i just cant.i no i seem to jump around when i write but its even hard to think i dont no how anyone of you can work and do this guess im lucky im on disability for deppresion and my spelling stinks at this time.i just wanted to thank-you for your help,im not really saying anything but junk but as i have ? i will keep looking on this page for the help i need.i feel sorry for all of us going through the same thing.i just wish i would have found out how bad this pill really is,even tho it was a helpfull pill at the time i remember crawling into the dr. office that 1st.visit got my script filled and felt sooo much better within 15 min.that was great till now,thx talk soon and i hope your feeling alot better than me,i can tell your doing better that gives me some hope! your friend cmfjhelp.dont no maybe sometime we can talk your way younger than me im 52 maybe thats why its harder for me the age im at,younger ones seem to handle the pain better,who knows?