Notices

Pot Users

Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pot Users

Mainly I am here to gain support and learn to cope with my AH but on a side note I've stopped using weed for a month and I was chronic smoker for 3 years (all day every day)

So it makes me feel silly evening mentioning this, because many people don't think pot is a problem when compared to the harder drugs like heroin or coke or meth.

But neverthless it is still a drug.

I would like to know if anybody out there has a problem with weed, particularily if you stopped using it.

Because I miss it something terrible, and would like to know when that goes away

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amy

I was a daily smoker for about 25-30 years. It probably took me a month or two to really get used to not smoking....but things got better the more time I stayed sober

Pot is a bit of a problem where I live in Australia - so there's a couple of free workbooks online that might help you too

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting
http://www.gsahs.nsw.gov.au/UserFile...%20changes.pdf

you'll find support here too

D
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had a much harder time quitting pot than any other drug. I've been alcohol-free for nearly 16 months, piece of cake.

Pot is a different beast, though (for me at least). I can never let my guard down, not for a second.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amy27 View Post
Mainly I am here to gain support and learn to cope with my AH but on a side note I've stopped using weed for a month and I was chronic smoker for 3 years (all day every day)

So it makes me feel silly evening mentioning this, because many people don't think pot is a problem when compared to the harder drugs like heroin or coke or meth.

But neverthless it is still a drug.

I would like to know if anybody out there has a problem with weed, particularily if you stopped using it.

Because I miss it something terrible, and would like to know when that goes away

I missed the hell out of it for years (possibly longer than anything else since it seems so "harmless").

The feeling of loss passes, not on your schedule, but it will eventually. The trick to staying clean in the meantime is being honest with what it does to you.

For me I know it makes me thirsty and stupid and a beer seems like a great idea, then pretty much anything seems like a good idea from there.

If I'm really honest I know that for me just smoking grass really doesn't do the trick for me for long and I'm looking to up the ante.

Keep in the front of your mind your own truth about where it takes you....play the tape all the way to the end when you start romancing the idea.

It also doesn't hurt to get rid of all your bongs and roach collection, don't hang around people who smoke until you are a little stronger in your resolve, and if you have a little victory garden going in the back yard, you may want to get rid of that as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never smoked pot for years every day but i use to smoke it for a few days a week just to sleep, but I do miss it, especially now since i'm having withdrawals from codeine. I just got rid of all my pot paraphernalia about 6 months ago. That definitely helped me, especially since I would only use a vaporizer. I agree with TSDD, the feeling of loss does pass, it just takes some time. I found playing PS3 got me through the rough patches.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i think there are many reasons why pot is hard to quit, but some of my main things i found were 1 oral fixation, you know i just like to smoke, and for a long time it was keeping me off cigarettes. 2 it definitely takes anxiety away and makes you feel like a minny vacation in the middle of your day. 3 helped me with my depression..... some things that helped me...1 look into some self help forums or books to find out more about unconscious fixations the more you know about why you love it soo the easier it will be for you to figure out how to get over it. 2 go to your local natural foods store and find something to help with the anxiety, i like bach flower rescue remedy or gaba calm. 3 discover your distraction, find or create something to not only get your mind off of smoking but to challenge your brain in a rewarding way so your inspired to continue your sobriety. it is not silly all drugs are hard to fight, because youre really fighting yourself. good luck and god bless.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I just miss the buzz. I can't do it cause then I drink.

Give time time, you'll feel better about it. You will stay looking younger, too!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It definitely makes me want to drink as well. The last time I smoked with a friend, I was telling her how I miss acting wild, being around wild people, not giving a crap about life, living by the moment, etc. Basically, I was telling her I miss partying, and of course partying includes drinking.

If there had been some beers there, there is a good chance I would have drank. Thankfully there weren’t, and thankfully I deleted that person’s contact information from my phone/Facebook.

If pot didn’t make me want to drink, I would probably still smoke. The fact is, it makes me want to drink, so I know I can’t smoke.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pot was my drug of choice along with sugary food to numb me of the emotional pain I have due to the many years of abuse, sexual, emotional and verbal. Pot took away the pain of my neck and shoulder. Before I went to pain managment I was smoking pot again, after I had been clean for many years. I quit over a year ago again because with the pain managment they test your urin and if you have pot in your system they cut you off. for a long time I would dream of spoking pot with friends and how good it felt, but that was in dreams. When I woke up I would tell myself how after a while of smoking pot I felt like a complete looser that need my pot in order to survive. I would just smoke and eat more food, not motivated to do anything. I don't know if this helps you at all, but I don't think the desire ever goes away, it is just telling yourself that you know you are better not picking up that joint. I still fear that if someone had a joint that I would want to smoke it and how hard it is to say no. Yet, think how proud of yourself you will feel if you can stay off pot. Good luck.

I am going through harder withdrawals with the oxycodone then I ever did with the pot. bad headaches, can't keep food down. With the pot, it was feeling a little down for a couple of days, and is more of a mental desire to smoke it, but knowing you can't. Maybe an NA meeting would help both of us?

chrisy
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did the quarter of a century smoking pot thing. It was difficult to stop. I was lighting up every 10 minutes every day for decades. Somehow I came to my senses and saw a counsellor. I worked out a plan to stop self-destructing and stuck to it. One week off it quickly became that magic 10 days. Two weeks came around and I was half way to a month.

I can't remember exactly when I noticed I wasn't 'hanging out' for it anymore. It must have been after three months for me. It gets easier over time, that's for sure. I would have caved in ages ago if it weren't the case.

Pot for me was a lifelong commitment. It was a human rights issue for me. It was political. Now I'm not so sure...

My phone beeped the other day. It was a reminder I had set a long time ago. I woke up and looked at the screen: !000 Days off pot! I had lost count ages ago. Better that than 1000 days OF pot. Couldn't think of anything worse right now.

Give yourself a bit more time and I'm sure you'll notice it get easier. It will just fade into the past...
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I smoked pot all day everyday for at least four years. I am 62 days clean and I miss the buzz but I don't feel like a loser anymore a d that is a big improvement.. Way to go!!!