Notices

I only stopped using due to illness........

Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I only stopped using due to illness........

I was wondering if anyone else stopped using due to illness?.

Cocaine has had a negative effect on my stomach and I now have dyspepsia (GERD), which means that if I have another line it will cause a pain in my stomach which will last for several days and no drug is worth the pain I went through.

I am glad (most of the time) that I am no longer using but there is still some anger lingering because I did not choose to stop - my body made the decision for me. If my stomach was in perfect working order then I would still be using as I had no reason to stop.

I would probably feel a lot better inside if I made the decision to stop using as it would have been due to pure will power and to prove to myself that I could quit on my terms.

My counsellor has told me that I need to address this (we are working on it) but I was wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation?.

I was using for about 4.5 years and am now just over 8 months clean.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess the question of the day is using an option when your life is at stake?
My oxy usage (prescribed) nearly killed me 2 years ago when I developed a gastric illius after surgery. I was literally at deaths door when my stomach nearly ruptured and I would have bled out. Thank God the ER realized what was happening.
So, I ask you in a serious tone. Will it be your life or a quick high for you? It's your choice.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quitting due to illness is as good as any other reason (if not better). The trick is to find reasons to STAY sober.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love IvanKatz's question, Personally I believe illness (physical, mental, emotional, or psychological brings addicts to the point of commitment to be clean. My choice was life and to live again. The brain keeps healing and as it does we are fed little white lies that maybe will can use again and the same illness won't happen. This is insanity.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Sounds to me like your body was kind enough to you to let your mind know it was time to quit. You still took the step to stop. I have been clean for 17 months now but I will say that phentermine (the last drug I abused) gave me horrible pancreatic attacks. So bad in fact I had to be hospitalized. Did that pain help me quit? Yes! Do I feel as if I shortcutted some how? NO!

My mind still made the decision to quit....however I know now that my mind was so clouded while using that perhaps that is the avenue my HP used to get me to stop.

Either way, today I am grateful to be clean.

PS many alcoholics quit due to cirriosis of the liver.

Lily
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i stopped because i didnt want the illnesses of addiction and alcoholism to kill me.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback guys

I guess you are all correct - I don't want to use anymore but I am still struggling to move into the next chapter of my life. Maybe in time I will feel different once I have accpeted that drugs are no longer part of my life.