Notices

Addict and drinking

Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addict and drinking

I know there are probably 1000 threads on this but I need some real world experience other than my own.

I have been alcohol and drug free for 8 years. Was a heroin addict, but did everything. Now, I have friends who were hardcore addicts like myself that only drink (whether they have a problem with drinking, I do not know). Some are on suboxone, some are not. They just drink, and maybe smoke pot, but no opiates, coke, etc.

I am 30 years old and I will admit it, I am tired of not being able to go out and drink. Do I think it will lead to heroin? I do not know, and I know most will say, why try and find out. I feel like, being in the place that I am at and have been for the past 8 years, I am in no way craving the feeling of being on opiates, coke, etc but I do want to be able to have drinks!

I realize what AA and NA say, but I also know that a lot of people do not follow that model and it is not the only model. So, do any of you know any heroin/opiate addicts who JUST drink or smoke weed? I am aware that many of you probably tried and failed, but I would like to hear from those that either are able to drink, and not go into their DOC, or know people like that.

I realize the NA and AA nazi's will pound the table saying you will go back, etc etc. But I honestly know people that are able to do this, and not go back. Do you??
Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi 8years,

Congrats on your 8 years!! As far as drinking/smoking as an addict, I think it depends on the person. That is one thing that bothers me about most AA/NA meetings, they think EVERYTHING is off-limits, but don't dare touch tobacco, lol!! Every meeting I've tried, all the people are smoking like a chimney, isn't nicotine addictive??

I have some chronic pain issues and every now and then I need to take narcotics. As long as I'm using them for PHYSICAL pain and not to get high or escape, I think that is fine, but I've yet to find a sponsor who agrees with this . I see a therapist and while she'd love for me never to need the meds again, she even says it doesn't have to be all or nothing in most cases.

Alcohol is not my DOC and I'm thankful. If I could buy narcotics without an Rx from my doctor, it would be so much harder to only take the pills when I really need them. If I had to pass aisles of them at the grocery store, it would be extremely difficult.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. If you are using your pain medication as prescribed you are fine. People in AA and NA are not doctors and have no business telling anyone how to take there meds. I have know people who can just drink or people who can just smoke but I'm not one of them. I know for me if I go back down that road I will be using again in no time. I think you know the answer to your question.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by william0850 View Post
Hello. If you are using your pain medication as prescribed you are fine. People in AA and NA are not doctors and have no business telling anyone how to take there meds. I have know people who can just drink or people who can just smoke but I'm not one of them. I know for me if I go back down that road I will be using again in no time. I think you know the answer to your question.
Thanks, but I do not know as I haven't tried yet. I just know after 8 years, and knowing plenty of former heroin addicts that drink, makes me wonder. Maybe I cannot? Maybe I can. I just wanted some storied from those who actually have, or know people that used to be hardcore addicts and now can just drink or smoke pot. I know I have been told that you cannot do this you cannot do that for 8 years in AA, but they also say no relationships for a year, which I didn't listen to, and am fine, still with the same person.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

The drugs I did or what I drank wasn't the problem - I was.
I could get addicted to anything if it helped me escape.

I'm not in any programme - I've just given up trying to escape my life and run away from myself - I like it like that, in fact I love being sober

I guess my question to you would be what do you think you're missing after 8 years?

Is alcohol really the right way to scratch whatever this itch is, 8yearsclean?
D
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would be asking myself, why do I want to drink?

If I wanted to try to drink socially, I truly believe the reason would be to feel more comfortable or to fit in (because everyone else is doing it and I don't want to feel left out).

For me, drinking changes the way I feel. That is the purpose of drinking....for me, the goal is to give the part of my brain that secretes the "feel good" stuff an artificial boost. It's certainly not because I like the taste and it has absolutely no nutritional value. It never quenches my thirst or makes me feel good the next day. I dunno.

Maybe you can examine that question about you. Why do you want to drink?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks and i am awsre of the "why do you want to drink" but all i am really asking is uf you kniw adducts who drink or smoke pot that have not gone back to their doc or gotten out of control with the drinking. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind?
I wish you the best.

D
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My ex-girlfriend is a pill addict. When she couldn't get pills, she would drink Vodka. And the booze triggered the same sensors in her brain that the pills did. She would lie about the booze, just like she did pills. It was (is) a vicious cycle for her. My advice is not to even try it. What good could come out of it?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovered

nm

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It doesn't even matter whether you could successfully do it or not, it's just not worth the risk. Being sober for 8 years, you must have had a deep understanding of this. If you think the desire to drink, and the expected pleasure you'd get out of it is worth the potential risks, then you've got to get honest with yourself about what's going on here.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi 8years,
As long time bartender and drug addict I have seen many addicts attempt to drink and it has worked for a FEW of them. Problem is that whether you are an alchoholic/addict does not matter. The first thing that goes out the window after a couple of cocktails is decision making skills. My experiance has shown me that sooner or later your going to seek the substance that your brain likes the most, and heroin may as well be served at circle K; it is every where these days.

Good luck,

HD
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I can tell you from my experience that it didn't work. Alcohol changed the way I felt, but it wasn't enough. Eventually I went back to my DOC. I can say I don't know anyone who can drink and not eventually go back to their DOC.

I have 9 years clean and sober. I couldn't imagine doing something to take that away.

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, perhaps I could give you a different example. Alcohol was my least favorite substance from when I was a kid. But gradually, as I got older (I'm now 41), I gave up all of the other substances either to them causing anxiety, etc. When alcohol was the only thing left, I said to myself, "Well, you are NOT giving this up. There is NOTHING ELSE YOU DO, DAMN IT." Now here I am in an alcohol forum admitting I am an alcoholic. It is a drug, it changes the way you think, and even if you never EVER touch anything again (I have not had a cigarette in 15 years and have not smoked marijuana in 10 years and have not done other illegal drugs in about 7 years) the alcohol will eventually become THE one problem because it is THE one problem you have left. And then you will feel dumb, like me, and say to yourself, "But I never even LIKED it that much." Trust me, it is not worth it....you are truly seeking to get in a different frame of mine, and that is what you really need to explore.....and you really do seem like you are kind of asking permission for being "so good" these past 8 years....please think carefully like this and be grateful to have 8 amazing years of sobriety under your belt at 30. That is amazing. You quit everything at 22 when most of us had decades of heartache ahead of us....you can be spared that.......be very very careful. You DO already know the answer to this....you DO.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
But I honestly know people that are able to do this, and not go back. Do you??
No, I do not know any who have successfully done this. Those that have not gone back to their DOC have developed an addiction to alcohol. One that did go back to his DOC died.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am also dealing with quitting drinking, since I alcohol is not my DOC. What I have came to realize is alcohol doesn't do anything positive for me. When I do it, I drink to much, it is expensive, I spend the next day regretting it....So what best to do, abstain from it!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the advice and havent drank, but it is still out there and im thinking of it. Who knows. I have just been bored with life. I used to have fun when i drank, it was the drugs that made me miserable. I realize all of the AA talk that it will lead back ...i know. I also know not everyone is a 12 stepper and everyone is different. My main concern IS going back, but i think since it has been punded in my head, that is why i fear that. As i said, i have multiple friends who are x junkies that drink, smoke a little weed and go about their lives without even thinking about going back the heroin nightmare. As i said, 8 years is great, and i honestly have no plans to drink today, it has just been on ky mind
Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by 8yearsclean
I also know not everyone is a 12 stepper and everyone is different.
For the record, I am not a 12 stepper. I have no desire to be in an altered state. Life itself can provide the most mind blowing highs...I just have to look.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
HAC

Hi 8 years. I am also in the same position as you but havebeen sober for 4 years. I was a heroin addict and a meth addict. Haven't used heroin for 10 years and the 4 years sober now was from meth. Heroin took me down hard so I thought meth would be different haha anyway I have Also been thinking about drinking again. I am getting married in 2 weeks my fiancé wasn't into drugs just pot and alcohol. I refuse to go back to drugs and wouldn't jeopardize what we have no way I gave absolutely no craving fir drugs whatsoever!! I am a truck driver and work around the clock been so tired at times could barely stay awake and not once have I thought oh I wish I had a line or a shot whatever to wake me up! So I too wonder is drinking possible? Now to answer your question YES I know many people who do drink after drug use and are fine. It drives me crazy actually cause I wonder about myself! Two friends of mine were clean and sober for 5 years and started drinking again both are functional and doing good and have been for quite a few years now. My other friend Ive k own for 8 years she went back out and never went back to meth and she's been drinking for about 7 years now and she's successful in my ways. My brother was heavily into meth we used to get high together everyday he quit when I quit so four years now but didn't quit drinking and he's fine never went back to meth nor does he want too! there were times I got out of hand with alcohol depending on the environment I was in but it was always easy to walk away from it! Drugs not so much. just wanted to post my story and pretty much answer your question of examples of people that can. For me I think I can but I'm so nervous on the what if I can't part that stops me (for now) I just have too many examples of people that are and are fine it's kind of hard not to think about it. oh and when I was 22 I had 2 years sober and I drank again and never had that feeling of wanting to do drugs but what was the downfall for me was hanging out with the people I shouldn't that introduced me back into the drug world so it's a crap shoot for me! Good luck with your decision let me know what you decide cause I need to decide myself!!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not again

I wonder what anybody hopes to accomplish by answering this question.

I've never had a problem with alcohol, lost everything to crack. i could certainly enjoy a joint and some tunes but I lost everything to crack. Another thread mentioned LSD which was always fun in the woods or at a show, but I lost everything to crack.

I am slowly regaining my life, my family and my sanity. I often wonder if I could smoke a joint or drink a beer or do a dose, but I can't predict where it will lead, either now or in the future and I am not willing to lose everything to crack again.

Larry