Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Had over 30 days clean, then got a neck injury....AHHHHH

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yup, was actually over 30 days clean, and then I got a major neck injury that pinches my nerves that go over left shoulder and down left arm. The injury also affected the thoracic part of my spine and SI joints. I have tremendous pain in my SI joints and the left shoulder and arm.

For a few weeks, I iced to keep the pain at bay. I went to a massage therapist and my chiro several times...with no lasting relief. Then I got my doctor to prescribe physical therapy. They also sent me to a spine doctor clinic where - I didn't know this - was actually a pain management clinic.

They gave me Trazodone for pain, and Flexiril for a muscle relaxant, plus ibuproen.

I tried so hard no to take the Trazodone...(a partial opiate)....but the pain got so bad (can only walk from bed to couch), I needed something to relieve it so I could (1) take a shower, and (2) Go to physical therapy, and (3) get food (as I live alone).

I'm so mad about this injury...I feel like I'm back to square one. I'm not abusing the medication at all. I just hate the fact I have to take it.

It is as though it is some sort of cosmic joke...getting clean, and then getting injured and having to take a high-risk drug to get better.

So disappointed.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trying

I know next to nothing about opiates but if you're not abusing it, maybe you need to cut yourself some slack here?

Can you speak to your Dr about your concerns tho?

D
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingOnceAgain View Post
Yup, was actually over 30 days clean, and then I got a major neck injury that pinches my nerves that go over left shoulder and down left arm. The injury also affected the thoracic part of my spine and SI joints. I have tremendous pain in my SI joints and the left shoulder and arm.

For a few weeks, I iced to keep the pain at bay. I went to a massage therapist and my chiro several times...with no lasting relief. Then I got my doctor to prescribe physical therapy. They also sent me to a spine doctor clinic where - I didn't know this - was actually a pain management clinic.

They gave me Trazodone for pain, and Flexiril for a muscle relaxant, plus ibuproen.

I tried so hard no to take the Trazodone...(a partial opiate)....but the pain got so bad (can only walk from bed to couch), I needed something to relieve it so I could (1) take a shower, and (2) Go to physical therapy, and (3) get food (as I live alone).

I'm so mad about this injury...I feel like I'm back to square one. I'm not abusing the medication at all. I just hate the fact I have to take it.

It is as though it is some sort of cosmic joke...getting clean, and then getting injured and having to take a high-risk drug to get better.

So disappointed.
I'm sorry, I just cannot view this as a relapse. I am nearly 7 weeks off of being dependent on hydrocodone, but if I had a serious injury or surgery I would take pain medication in a minute if I had to.

You can't avoid life and I am NOT a subscriber that just because we have abused something means we can never ever do anything but suffer when we are legitimately.

IMO, you should NOT start at day 1--you are hurt. If you feel guilty about the Trazadone have a friend or family member give it to you as prescribed and as soon as you feel better flush the rest.

This is what I DON'T like is when folks feel guilty for the rest of their lives when real life issues arise. There IS a time and a place for pain medication.

Don't beat yourself up. You have done nothing wrong. Hope this helps you feel a little better.
lee
Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Leemer. Dee: no I didn't tell my doctor about my addiction. I told her instead that I didn't want narcotics like Vicoden's, Percocets, or oxycotin.

I wrote the medication she prescribed....it isn't Trazadone, it isTramadol.

Thanks Leemer for reminding me that life goes on, and that I need this drug for my injury. I am keeping a close eye on it all, but life still happens.

Thank you, your words made me feel so much better. I can't thank you enough.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LDT

I've had that same injury and I KNOW how painful it is.....excruciating really. I lost feeling in my arm and hand....had a miriad of tests. I was also on pain meds and muscle relaxers, as there was absolutley no way to make it through the day without them. Don't beat yourself up about this. You certainly didn't intend to get injured, and it doesn't sound like you are abusing the meds. Just be careful and focus on your healing. I would suggest doing everything your doctor tells you to do. I wish you well.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah, I don't think we need to suffer because we have an addictive past - but I do encourage folks to be honest and open with their doctors - there's a lot of pain treatment options around

D
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Trying))) - I once abused the heck out of opiates, am a recovering crack addict. My doctor and dentist are aware. There have been times, though, that OTC meds just don't do good enough (I had a ruptured disk in my back, years ago, and it flares up occasionally, have had major dental work done).

When I first met my dr., I told him (now it's a her, but same thing)..I will NOT come to you unless I have tried OTC meds, rest, ice, heat, PT exercises, etc., and they don't work. I want a limited prescription (usually 2-3 days) and no refills. Because I very rarely ask for anything, I have earned their trust.

I have no desire to get high, but I'm also cautious about having anything that I can take to "numb out". I just work extra hard on recovery, come here and make myself accountable, and so far? It's worked.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-11-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand what you are going through. I myself have a shoulder injury and my left shoulder blade doesn't lay flat like it should. I was giving pain meds as well. I had someone else hold them for me. It was what I had to do to not take 5 or 6 at a time. In the last few weeks I just had to stop taking them. I wasn't abusing them but my body just wanted more. I just rather be in pain then take them.

Hang in there. I know its hard.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Trying))) - I once abused the heck out of opiates, am a recovering crack addict. My doctor and dentist are aware. There have been times, though, that OTC meds just don't do good enough (I had a ruptured disk in my back, years ago, and it flares up occasionally, have had major dental work done).

When I first met my dr., I told him (now it's a her, but same thing)..I will NOT come to you unless I have tried OTC meds, rest, ice, heat, PT exercises, etc., and they don't work. I want a limited prescription (usually 2-3 days) and no refills. Because I very rarely ask for anything, I have earned their trust.

I have no desire to get high, but I'm also cautious about having anything that I can take to "numb out". I just work extra hard on recovery, come here and make myself accountable, and so far? It's worked.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
You are so strong to tell your doctor. I'm glad you have the trusting relationship with him.

I'm so afraid. I stopped taking the Tramadol because it really didn't touch the pain (after doing mega strong opiates for years), and when it came out of my system, I went into a MAJOR depression. Same thing with the Flexeril. So, I put those medicines in a box to properly dispense of them. I'm just going to stick to the ibupropren, ice therapy, PT, and OTC capsican cream (which works wonderfully on the nerve pain, but you need to be careful with it). The OTC cream works better than anything.

I don't have the desire to numb out or get high. I just want to feel better.

Maybe you can answer a question: why doesn't the Tramadol work? It is a partial opiod, and even though I used MEGA doses of oxy's for years, I thought I'd get more relief. Same with the muscle relaxant, Flexeril. They just don't work like they should....guess this is what I get for abusing pain meds all these years, when I finally need them, they don't work.

Thank you for your response, hugs and prayers back at ya!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have heard Tramadol is not very effective either and flexuril makes me fee surreal and crazy. You are probably right about the strength of Tramadol....I have never tried it but I have heard it does nothing, but i was used to major pain pills and so was my friend who tried it...good for you for getting rid of it if it wasn't helping. But do NOT consider that a relapse. You did not relapse, IMO.