Notices

Help- in a panic

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help- in a panic

I have been off vicodin for 11 days. I have experienced very few withdrawals- probably bc I've been taking tramadol. Well, last night the withdrawals hit me. Couldn't sleep, restless legs, racing thoughts, bathroom problems...

I'm in a panic because tomorrow I travel cross country to my sister's wedding!! I can't be sick. WHY the hell did it start now?

My doctor will give me a refill to last me through the wedding/trip. I'm not a good traveler anyhow but I will be a NIGHTMARE if I'm in withdrawal. Before you judge, please know that I am committed to staying clean, but i don't want to ruin the trip. I was going to be honest with my doctor, and only take a couple per day (enough to make me feel like i'm not in w/d) and give them to someone to hold.

HELP!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tapering may help cold turkey is to much for some addicts I had a brother who went cold turkey on benzos it did not work he took his on life so be careful how much you take. Blessings.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@keltie Sorry about the timing. Do you think it's possible that you're stressing your body into some kind of withdrawal-type feeling over the trip?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it might be mental, like Stopdropburn said, since you are on the tram, you should not be going into major withdrawals. I say relax, calm your thoughts, think about the work you have done to get this far. When do you leave? I think you said she gets married on the 12th. If you haven't already made up your mind to get more, please try to refrain!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We leave tomorrow. Have to get up at 3am. I'm at dr office right now. Sponsor says if I'm honest w/ him that it'll be ok. Not sure what to expect but I'll be honest.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doctor gave me 6 shots for muscle spasms and prescribed 2 norco's per day for the duration of my trip.

I was honest with him about everything.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The trams are an opiate...I thought I would try them too but didn't want to keep in that hold. You CAN do this after the wedding. Enjoy yourself and your sister. Come home and do the full thing. No pills for pills. You can do this. KEEP YOUR TAPER! It can happen and might even be better in the long run.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know you can do this Keltie!! Bravo to you for being open and honest with your doctor. Proud of you!!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope all goes with your trip. I am six days clean from Norco 10/325. I went cold Turkey it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. There is really never a great time to quit there will always be something that's coming up. But I do understand I did not want to do anything without my pills. I had to work the whole time I was going through withdrawal. Not pleasant but I made it and felling so much better. Good luck you can do it.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well now that you have them, you can relax and enjoy the wedding. Try to not think about anything other than your family, and make sure you only take them as prescribed. Keep in touch!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Enjoy the wedding. Relax and return with your commitment and taper.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waw545 View Post
Tapering may help cold turkey is to much for some addicts I had a brother who went cold turkey on benzos it did not work he took his on life so be careful how much you take. Blessings.
Yes, it is VERY dangerous (Benzo's especially). I was prescribed some after my divorce and one day decided I didn't need them anymore, flushed them and 3-4 days later I was hallucinating and had a grand mal seizure and almost aspirated and choked to death (would have if my then friend didn't turn me over). Of coarse I don't remember the seizure, just all the odd feelings, I remember my eyes twitch and that is all until the next morning and he's hovering over me screaming "why didn't you tell me you're epileptic, you were foaming at the mouth last night" and I had chewed up the inside of my mouth while I was at it.

I have however done opiate withdrawal cold turkey more times than I can count and felt like I was dying a few times, but from what I understand (and this may be wrong), opiate detox isn't dangerous, whereas almost all others are (benzo's, alcohol, etc.) As dumb as it sounds, I prefer to suffer so I remember just how bad it is... This is just the way I do things, I do not recommend it, always talk to a Doctor. As stated above, kicking Xanax cold turkey almost killed me. I wasn't addicted to it, I was only taking 1mg a day (or whatever the peach colored one is)... 1.5 MAX on some days and YEP--could have died.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK well I'm back and am feeling very weak and shaky about my commitment to quit. I'm really trying to be strong but truthfully am not 100% SURE I want to be done with it. I've decided to trust those close to me who tell me to keep on the path and keep going with the taper. Maybe I don't feel it but all the support I get here plus my sponsor and a very close friend who is going thru this the same time as me will strengthen me. Supposed to meet with sponsor tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeRedux View Post
Yes, it is VERY dangerous (Benzo's especially). I was prescribed some after my divorce and one day decided I didn't need them anymore, flushed them and 3-4 days later I was hallucinating and had a grand mal seizure and almost aspirated and choked to death (would have if my then friend didn't turn me over). Of coarse I don't remember the seizure, just all the odd feelings, I remember my eyes twitch and that is all until the next morning and he's hovering over me screaming "why didn't you tell me you're epileptic, you were foaming at the mouth last night" and I had chewed up the inside of my mouth while I was at it.

I have however done opiate withdrawal cold turkey more times than I can count and felt like I was dying a few times, but from what I understand (and this may be wrong), opiate detox isn't dangerous, whereas almost all others are (benzo's, alcohol, etc.) As dumb as it sounds, I prefer to suffer so I remember just how bad it is... This is just the way I do things, I do not recommend it, always talk to a Doctor. As stated above, kicking Xanax cold turkey almost killed me. I wasn't addicted to it, I was only taking 1mg a day (or whatever the peach colored one is)... 1.5 MAX on some days and YEP--could have died.
I'd say you were very likely addicted to it, though you may not have thought so or were abusing it....Xanax is a nasty beast. I am tapering now because of Panic Disorder which I am overcoming.....tapered one time to a mere .5mg a day and thought I could just stop from there.....three days later, no hallucinations or seizures, but was losing my mind. Am on a super slow taper now and am down to 1.5 mg a day and at this rate will take a year...but I have taken Xanax for 7 years so a year is FINE by me....scary, isn't it? The scary thing is it takes a LONG time for symptoms to go away too, that is what I am hoping to avoid by the slow taper.

Keltie,
keep with it...you can do it! This was the risk you took when you went to the wedding but you have not slid all the way back. Have faith. I have faith in you!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keltie,

Sooooo glad to hear from you! Thanks for the update. You can do this! Go back and read some of your pre-wedding-trip posts. I know you want to quit and I know you can do it!!

~Pandie
Old 05-15-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The only bad thing about staying clean is you have to actually STOP using drugs to do it. You've got a long row to hoe if you plan to stay clean and keep using drugs at the same time, I found it didn't pan out so well for me every time I tried.