Notices

Addiction the struggle within

Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction the struggle within

Even though I have not picked up & used in 2 yrs. I struggle working the steps on step 4 for 6 months made the list now trying to write the resentment. I know what I need to do, I know this will better me in the end. It feels as though there's to much going on, overwhelmed & making somethings that should be simple into chaos within my own head. Never seems enough time to get things done.

What are the struggles in your head? I feel as though there's 3 voices The addiction calling,the clean me & the procrastinator...... Hope this makes sense to someone else out there.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on your 2 years- that's wonderful.

Does talking to your sponsor help?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My sponsor strictly just talks the steps. Not what I am going through. Trust & opening up is a huge struggle also.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

My sponsor tells me that if I am having ______ on a step, that I need to go back and look at the step before it. When I was balking on 4, she had me go look at three. Was I honest, thorough, and following directions in 3? Was I REALLY working 1, 2, and 3 every day? Had I REALLY turned my will (thoughts) and life (actions) over to a HP of my conception? Am I remaining willing and open-minded? If not, I need to pray for these things and then when ready, revisit 4. The Book says that was do 4 AT ONCE after 3. Did you wait?

Sorry to not have "The Answer", but many things could be happening here. Looking at the above might give some direction, tho. HTH

mf
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not again

Well I suppose R4MHelp just needs to quit listening to two of those vioces, although the addict vioce and the procrastination one are probably the same...never heard Mr procrastinator speak up when you where going to get high did ya?

But what I really wanted to say is stop screwin' around and get to work. I can't believe the number of people that dilly dally about this stuff and then wonder why they go back out. No where in the Big Book does it give any indication that this should be a liesurely process, because it shouldn't be. What it does reqiure is commitment and action. I have found a couple very helpful resources. Please take the time to check them out, it's our lives we put at risk when we chance upon the easier, softer way.

(This 4th Step)
http://www.bigbooksponsorship.org/do...-worksheet.pdf

(this is a 4 hour 12 step giude, 1hr/wk x 4 wks)

http://www.bigbooksponsorship.org/do...r-12-steps.pdf

I hope any one that truely wishes to recover with permanent sobriety acts now! and finds a newcomer to help too!

Be Well,
Larry
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered

I have to echo what Larry said. It was in taking the steps that I was relieved of the obsession to drink and the very feelings you describe. When a newcomer is flopping about without tools, I take them through the steps pronto, as outlined in the Big Book. It is then that the newcomer is relieved of the obsession to drink. Don't tarry!