Notices

Obsessions, Compulsions & Cravings

Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Obsessions, Compulsions & Cravings

Hello!

Expositions: I have quite a long history with drug abuse. Approximately 10 years go I started abusing cannabis, MDMA, LSD and amphetamines. I became heavily psychologically addicted to cannabis for several years. I have not had a "spliff" for over five years, so that's pretty good. However, my addictive tendencies lingered and I started abusing OTC opiates, such as codeine (cold water extraction) potentiated with diphenhydramine (Benedryl), which always resulted in profound euphoria.

After a year of abstinence from the weekly abuse of codeine, I felt my compulsions, urges and cravings creeping up on me again. I decided that it might be a good idea to "centralise" my strong substance addiction tendencies to kratom and ONLY kratom. I quickly realised that I am incapable of controlling my substance abuse and started to use kratom compulsively and even went out to buy some diphenhydramine and grapefruit juice to potentiate it. Not only that, but I started obsessing and planning doing the codeine again; in essence, it made my cravings for opiates 100 times worse.

There is no doubt that I have strong psychological addiction tendencies to opiates, cannabis and other "downers" that I simply cannot control; it really is that simple! Therefore, I have made the wise decision to be more proactive with my substance abuse problems and have decided that indefinite abstinence is the only long term solution to this issue.

I would like to meet other people who are in a similar position.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. I think most people here can relate to substance abuse problems.

I have a ten-year history of drug use and addiction, taking just about anything to get high. Quit in 1986, but failed to make the connection between illegal drugs and alcohol and continued to drink. Also never sought a formal recovery from drugs. Just quit, cold turkey. So here I am 25 years later recovering from alcoholism and a relapse with opiates.

There's no such thing as "a little bit of drug use." That I've learned.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

I used to be addicted to lots and lots of things. Now I'm not, and the freedom is it's own type of high.

Happy you're here.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit everything(alcohol, meth, cigarettes) six years ago, and took up a healthy passion - cycling. I lost all post-rehab weight of 82lbs and cannot seem to get enough of it(still addictive personality!). I suggest you take up a "healthy hobby."
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I quit doing anything that messed up my mind decades ago.
As alcohol was my DOC I use AA for my successful recovery.
No more cravings or obcessions ..long in my past.