Notices

sleeping all the time

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sleeping all the time

Hello everyone. I first joined this website a few months ago and was a new recovering addict. I was good for a few weeks but then fell off the wagon big time. I have redoubled my efforts tho and have been clean from everything since friday of last week.

anyway i am only writing because, since i am not working, i just sleep all day long, or even if i am not sleeping I just stay in bed and watch reruns of law and order all day.

I have been making myself workout everyday for about an hour, then i'll eat something and immediately want to go back to sleep. I know I am depressed, as it is something I have been battling for my whole adult life, but I litreally want to do nothing but sleep. It's not even that I don't have the energy per se. I still workout and i generally feel fine, I do not feel physically sick, I feel fine. I just don't want to do anything.

Sometimes I will wake up and wonder how could I have slept all day, then I wish i had been more productive, but the feeling passes and I watch tv until I fall back to sleep again.

I am a contractor and only work when my agency calls me. I can work endless hours for months at a time, or I can be out of work for months at a time. WHen i have to work, I have no problem going to work and doing countless hours, sometimes up to 15 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 months straight. But, still, i feel something is wrong if i am sleeping all day, laying in bed for 15 hours.

SHould i be concerned? Is this normal?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is hard to battle when you first come off of drugs. Boredom can be very bad for addicts and cause relapse. Hopefully you will get some energy and motivation back soon. Otherwise force yourself for a little while.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sheerExcellence View Post
Hello everyone. I first joined this website a few months ago and was a new recovering addict. I was good for a few weeks but then fell off the wagon big time. I have redoubled my efforts tho and have been clean from everything since friday of last week.

anyway i am only writing because, since i am not working, i just sleep all day long, or even if i am not sleeping I just stay in bed and watch reruns of law and order all day.

I have been making myself workout everyday for about an hour, then i'll eat something and immediately want to go back to sleep. I know I am depressed, as it is something I have been battling for my whole adult life, but I litreally want to do nothing but sleep. It's not even that I don't have the energy per se. I still workout and i generally feel fine, I do not feel physically sick, I feel fine. I just don't want to do anything.

Sometimes I will wake up and wonder how could I have slept all day, then I wish i had been more productive, but the feeling passes and I watch tv until I fall back to sleep again.

I am a contractor and only work when my agency calls me. I can work endless hours for months at a time, or I can be out of work for months at a time. WHen i have to work, I have no problem going to work and doing countless hours, sometimes up to 15 hours a day 7 days a week for 3 months straight. But, still, i feel something is wrong if i am sleeping all day, laying in bed for 15 hours.

SHould i be concerned? Is this normal?
This sounds to me like classic depression. My father has/had it. He goes in and out of it. There are times he will literally sleep a full 24 hours or more.

It also could just be your body adjusting to not having drugs in your system and giving itself time to recalibrate itself.

My suggestion, if you are able is to keep doing what your doing. Exercise, eat healthy, take vitamins (B-Complex supplements are great for energy), and I'm sure others could suggest some things.

I am not sure if you are able to, but I would go to a Doctor and tell him what your sleeping patterns have been like. If it is depression he can give you something that should help with that. My has some prescribed to him and he is a different person on them. If he forgets to get his script refilled for a day or two he is a different person.

Also, ask your doctor about some healthy stimulates. There are plenty of natural herbs out there that can help greatly with this. I would stay away from Caffeine though there are more natural healthier ways than that.

Great work on staying sober thus far. I am on Day 1 and unbelievably am not doing too badly but that could change by tomorrow but I guess I will know then.

Good luck and post as much as you need to everyone here is to help.