Notices

Codeine Addiction

Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine Addiction

Yes I'm new and refuse to reach out to a doctor so I'm doing this with your help.

In 1997 someone introduced me to Tylenol #1 which is an OTC in Canada. As a younger person I used it for hangovers.... and it worked very well but I found I was taking more and more from rebound headaches.

Up til this Monday, I was taking almost 50 a day which totals 400mg of Codeine, 750mg of caffeine and 15000mg of acetaminophen.

I decided this was the end, and am surprised my liver hasn't given out by now. Why did I do it? I don't know, maybe to dull the pain of lifes events which happened to me. I have maintained a very good job for over 21yrs now, and its a huge secret I carry. I've gone to all the drug stores in my city to get them, they are used to seeing me and I'm embarrassed. But I'm here, and in need of support.

Monday I tapered off, to half of what I would use. I felt fine.

Tuesday I took 10 to get me up out of bed and that was it. Yesterday by noon I was suffering pounding headaches, that didn't go away. I used my prescribed .5mg lorazapam to calm me down and I went to bed early.

Wednesday (today) Dull headache, leg cramps, joint pain, neck pain, my eye sockets hurt and I have a metallic taste in my mouth with a bit of burping. My tummy is a little queezy and my mouth waters. I basically feel like I'm going to throw up. Today I'm leaving early from work so I plan on going home to a nice hot bath, then I will get into bed and try and rest.

Honestly, why are these drugs so easy to get? Regardless, I did this to myself so I'm silently with your help going to get off them. Today I'm so discouraged because I feel so sick. I hope tomorrow brings a better day for me even just slightly.

People, I know I've read I should cleanse my body totally but I would kill for an advil right now to take away the aching.

Please lend me your hand while I suffer through this so silently?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@Atom Welcome to SR. At least you're finally making the choice to get off and get clean. Despite other people's recommendations of using nothing at all....I would have had a very difficult time dealing with the headaches without a few Ibuprofen here and there in my detox. I can't believe you were taking that many in a day....I've taken considerably hefty doses of opiates over the years, but they were always stronger than Tyl#1's, and so there was considerably less Acetaminophen involved....though I've had some stints with Tyl#3's and 4's that even then was taking far, far more than was healthy. If you're being prescribed Lorazepam, that should help in getting through some of the w/d symptoms, and that's something you shouldn't just be ending cold turkey those meds are completely different. IMO, though it's not going to be a fun, comfortable ride, getting off codeine should be easier than many of the harder opiates....it's just the quantity that you need to work on. Because of all the Acetaminophen your stomach is used to being slammed with, you're going to be nauseous and sick a few days, may vomit for a while.....try some Immodium, Loperimide is technically an opiate, but since it can't cross the BBB it only acts on the opiate receptors in your stomach lining, and thus helps with painful stomach cramps and irritability. Stay hydrated too....I know it's hard to want to eat or drink anything while you're detoxing, but being hydrated will help flush your body faster. You may have some sleeping troubles too, but again, Lorazepam should be able to help that. People may tell you not to take anything, but there's a reason you're on it, and you don't just stop taking those meds, if you're not abusing it and it can help you beat this opiate addiction then take advantage of it. Just don't let yourself transfer the addiction. Take care and good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes the lorazapam is for headaches due to stress, That .5mg lastnight worked well and I did wake up a couple times but thats not unusual for me.

I broke down at work and took 2 ibuprofen and it seemed to take the ache away from my joints and bones and subsided the headache somewhat.

Everytime I tried to clear my system of this drug, it was the rebound headaches that caused me to jump back onto the T1. I'm not this time. I know my headaches are caused from a dependancy and I have to detox.

This afternoon I hear buzzing in my ears, and pins and needles in my stomach but the headache has lessened somewhat. The joint pain is not nearly as bad.

With this amount of med in my system, is there any clue when the detox will peak and I will start to feel like I'm in the land of the living again? I've read 48-72 hours. I'm so glad I'm not working until next week now.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, the 48-72 hours is typically when symptoms peak, generally fading over the course of the next 5-7 days afterwards....but those are just that, typical, not guaranteed. There's really no way to know, everyone is different. Some people experience longer, worse symptoms than others. Whether it's 3 days or 10 days or 20 days.....just think how short of a time-frame that is compared to how long you've been living on them......it's worth it to get clean and healthy and not have to be dependent on them anymore. The most uncomfortable part for a lot is the lack of sleep, which seems to make everything else worse, and you have that under control. You have a few days off work, so there's another hurdle. Body aches and crawly skin....hot baths and some OTC pain reliever, Ibuprofen was my choice, because it helped the body aches and headaches. I found that, nothing crazy, but light stretches and exercise helped with the pains too...your body produces endorphins when you work out, so naturally they help dull the pain when they start flowing.....when you feel like crap, you can sit there and brood, or get up and do some stretching to untighten those muscles and go for a walk or light jog...even jog in place inside while listening to music like I did for a while, and see the difference for yourself. It's going to take a few days to get all that out of your system....but a good vitamin and hydration regimen will get it moving. Exercising just helps you to feel better in my opinion, I had to force myself the first few days, but then I realized how much better and healthier I felt because of it. Hope the best for you.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Atomchick - Welcome to SR!
Like you, I was a long time user of opiates with my last 5 years of using codeine I ordered online from the UK. Cost me lots of $. Mine were stronger, 30mg, but I took up to 12 a day, close to your dose, though not as much Tylenol.
I tapered in Dec. 2010 and have been in recovery since. Longest time since I started this roller coast ride with other similar opiates 20 yrs ago.
May people think codeine is not as bad as other opiates, but I found it to be, but maybe that is b/c when I quit hydrocodone 9 yrs ago, I was a lot younger.
Anyway, it can be done and SR is the primary reason I succeeded this time. I am at over 16 months now. The first 3 months are tough with all the w/d symptoms you have read about and then still issues that come and go for months. Even today, once or twice a month, that devil pops inside my head again. I expect to always have to be diligent in my recovery.
Keep posting. We are all here for you. You can do this. You must stop all that Tylenol use. I had surgery last Nov. and prayer my liver had not been compromised by all of my use and was blessed that all was well. I did keep up a good nutritous diet while I used which is probably why, but carried about 60 extra pounds most of those years as well. I am glad I don't live in the UK or Canada. I am not strong enough to keep away from my DOC that is that easy to get.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey dude, nice to meet you

In this country the bugger is Nurofen Plus: codeine and ibuprofen. You can get it over the counter in any pharmacy. My H was addicted for about 14 years, taking 36 a day, which is about 460mg codeine.

He got into big trouble when the ibuprofen ate an ulcer into his stomach - nasty stuff. It's tricky staying clean - as you've said, they're available everywhere. H has relapsed a few times, but seems to have a good handle on it now.

Well done going cold turkey. Like Stopdrop says, the symptoms vary, but a peak over the first 3 days is pretty usual. Everyone I know who has gone through it found that about 7-9 days later they were okay, or even great, but that's just personal experience, I don't know if it counts as the norm. He's bang on with the treatments too - hot baths and light exercise. H found that me rubbing his legs helped a lot, lots of pacing, iced water, more pacing. Remembering that it's not going to last...

And keep posting - this place is brilliant. I was on and off constantly for my first couple of weeks sober, and still check in every day. Lots of good company, round the clock.

See you around,

Still
xxx
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I've crawled into bed with a box of crackers and some gingerale. The needles in my stomach are brutal right now but come and go in waves. I'm determined to beat this. Its day 2 and I'm looking forward to day 3 and then day 4.... and so on. This has to end!! Why is it that the successful business woman doesn't recognize the word "Addict" Thats what I am, I'm addicted to codeine
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stopdrop, awesome info. If I could get out of bed, I'd work out but there is no way right now. Thank god I have the luxury of taking time away from work to get through this mess I created. My kids think I'm sick with the flu so they are being quiet around me and very respectful of my peace I need right now.

Thank you to all for supporting me thru this horrible mess.

I will let you know how the rest of the evening and tomorrow goes for me as I'm expecting tomorrow to be the worst for me. I'm not stopping my path I've chosen to take on.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stopdrop, oh it was nothing for me to pop 12 into my mouth at one time. Taking 50 a day is some days underestimating what I have taken.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomChick View Post
Stopdrop, oh it was nothing for me to pop 12 into my mouth at one time. Taking 50 a day is some days underestimating what I have taken.
We've all been there.....I too had my kids around for my detox....young enough to believe that I was sick....you feel like a p.o.s., but you are doing something great for yourself and for them in the long run. Soon enough you will be able to look in the mirror and say "I didn't take any pills today" and then you will have something to really be proud of. It's a hard battle, but you can be strong enough and determined to beat it. Even in the throes of withdrawal, I still managed to smile in the mirror and say "At least I didn't take anything today...I'm beating this", and it always made me feel at least a little better. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well,its 5:40pm and symptoms are horrible. I've got the sweats, and chills, severe aching in my joints, needles in my stomach, and I've thrown up twice. My head is now pounding because I threw up so much. I did have another bath, and I'm not giving up! There is no codeine in my home that I could take, and I can't drive myself to the pharmacy. I'm going to try and take a little sleep.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't give up AtomChick!! I am 36 days free of Tylenol #4. Took it for ten years and was up to, on some days, 1200mg of codeine a day. If I can do this, so can you. Hang in there,,,,the worst of the withdrawal symptoms will SOON be over, and you'll never have to go through this again!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

6:10pm and I've thrown up again. This time I don't feel the pins in my tummy. OMG this is detoxing my body!! No wonder people sometimes try try again...
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Istherehope- OMG how did you do it! I refuse to give up, I can't give up!! I just feel so sick. I do hope one day, someone like me is reading this thread. I want to be able to help someone else. When was the peak for you?? I'm on day 2 without codeine and its not unbearable, but its painful.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomChick View Post
6:10pm and I've thrown up again. This time I don't feel the pins in my tummy. OMG this is detoxing my body!! No wonder people sometimes try try again...
You won't have to Try Try Again if you do it this time though. It's going to be rough...you had a lot of chemicals running through your body...now it's ready to purge. Keep pushing through though....if someone can bring you some Immodium it would definitely help with the stomach....it relaxes the muscles in the stomach lining that contract causing the vomiting and often diarrhea. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water/gatorade/anything hydrating really if you're vomiting a lot. Getting dehydrated will make you feel and be worse off. Continue with the dry foods often as you can handle to help reduce the acid in your stomach too. Just remember, like you said, you ARE detoxing, it's a painful, but fantastic thing you are doing. It will pass....if you had the flu right now there would be very little you could do about that either, it's something you have to convince yourself you have to tolerate to get through to a healthier you. Good luck with the rest of your night.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

8pm, vomitted again, chills, and severe aching in my knee joints.
Feels like a severe flu and this I can handle. I took two pepto bismol tablets to settle my stomach and I have a cold pak for my pounding head. Thank you for bearing with me while I document my. Detox. I'm not turning around now. This is day 2 and its almost over. I'm ready for tomorrow
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did it with a lot of determination and a lot of prayer!! In terms of the physical withdrawals, I was better by day 6 or so. But the emotional stuff (PAWS -- Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) is what Im going thru now, and it has been pretty tough. But the PAWS part is different for everybody...you may or may not even have to deal with much of it. The physical wd's seem to be fairly consistent for all of us coming off of opiates. Keep hanging in there, you are doing great, just keep riding it out!! You'll make it. Lots of great support on here. Keep us posted!!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

8:30 and I violently threw up this time. I think I will sleep well tonight! (I hope)
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey hun, sipping hot water is really good for sore stomachs and nausea and will help combat the dehydration.

Keep it up, am thinking about you xxx
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Woke up again at 12:10am. Severe needles in my tummy. I ran to the bathroom where I thought I was going to vomit and instead, I had a violent case of Diahrrea. My whole body including my legs pour in sweat and I didn't have the strength to het off the toilet, I fell forward onto the ground and waited for the wave of brutal sweat and weakness to pass. I finally got into bed and my daughter who has her drivers licence brought me a bowl in case I throw up again. I slept til just now. I feel tender all over right now but not nearly as horrible as lastnight. I warned my daughter that we may have to take me to the hospital.