Notices

Need Advice

Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Advice

hi,

this is my story...i was on Norco's for 5 years and abused them for half of that (24+ a day)...anyways i took my last pill on the 03/30/12 after power weaning

i went from 28 to 8 for 3 days then went 543210...it was the 2nd worst experience in my life (right now being the worst)

now i am experiencing other things...i have no desire to take a pill nor do i even think about it but i am dealing with severe anxiety and my heart rate stays between 125 and 145 all day long even at rest and i am now experiencing chest pains
i went to the hospital on friday and the ER Dr said my white blood count is off the charts and i told him (and anyone else who would listen) what i had done and to please fix me

the Dr said stress and anxiety wont bring up my white blood count that high and it must be a blood infection like HIV, Lukemia, or Staph...i told them its stress and aniety related to the pills somehow

anyways they kept me over the weekend and my blod infection tests were negative (big surprise) they gave me IV fluids and a nitro under the tongue and a script for metoprolol (50mg twice a day) for my heart rate and kicked me loose...now i take the pill religiously and my heart rate is a steady 135

they wanted to give me an anti anxiety med in the ER...they suggested adivan or xanax and i refused (i read both were pretty bad drugs with evil withdrawls) i dont want withdrawls ever again after my recent experience

the Dr's should warn you before they prescribe opioid pain killers...i thought i was going to die many times through the physical withdrawls and lost 25 lbs going through it, i had panic attacks that put me in my front yard screaming at the top of my lungs...man it was horrible

i just want my heart rate down and i can handle the rest

any advice would be appreciated
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am going to suggest to you to follow up with your doctor. The ER doctor is correct...elevated white blood cell count is not from drug use or stress. You have something else going one. Metoporol is a standard medication given for elevated blood pressure and high heart rate. However, because of your anxiety and stress your heart is racing. With your anxiety you need to try to do some deep breathing exercises to help. In the nose and out the mouth...deep breathing.

So follow up with your regular doctor and see what's going on. Even after your withdrawals I hate to say that anxiety and elevated heart rate can stick around for a month or two at times.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you very much for the advice on breathing...it is helping

i decided to contact another Dr and he being a customer in my store came to me and gave me a free consult

he seems to know his stuff very well and is against most drugs like opaite painkillers and anti anxiety meds...he refers his patients to another Dr for that stuff

i told him everything and he said i need to double the dosage the ER Dr gave me on metoprolol and try it for a day then triple it try it then quadruple it if needed...

i doubled it this morning and it went down to 111 then with the advice for breathing im at a cool 94...i feel great now

btw...he did say he has seen the white blood count double in extreme cases of stress and anxiety

he had asked if i took time off during the physical withdrawls and i didnt...i still had to work 6 days a week 10 to 12 hours a day and he said i came off the pills dangerously fast...he believed it was a combination of this that caused my condition now

during the withdrawls i remember having crampy kicking legs that wouldnt let me sleep and i took potassium pills (script only) and it stopped that madness right away for those who are going through it

my advice to anyone is go through those horrible withdrawls and you will never want to do it again....it feels so good to have my life back
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Corey. I am glad that you talked to another doc. I am in total aw of you working while going through withdrawl...holy moly. My heart rate went up big time and stayed that way for a could of weeks. I used to have to sit down and make my self relax by deep breathing. Glad you are feeling much better.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I may have celebrated a little soon...last night my heart rate was cruising at 150 and my pills brought it down to 120 and this morning my heart rate was 107 but my blood pressure was 170...i am in contact with a Dr every couple of hours so im not ignoring this...i may have to take the 20 minute drive to Loma Linda and those fine Dr's will fix me if this continues more then a few more days

likehappiness....may i ask what your heart rate went up to?

working while detoxing wasnt as bad as it sounds...it kept my mind off of things during that time but i did have to go sit in my office and cry thoughout the day...i may have gave the impression it was easy but by no means it wasnt

the first thing i did on day zero (first day no pills) was go to my Dr and tell him what i had done...needless to say he was surprised and had no idea what to do...it was very frustrating

he wanted to give me wellbutrin and i passed on that crap..he wanted to see me in a week and when i did he seemed much more knowledgeable on the subject and said he was proud of me for coming to him and of all the years of prescribing these he has never had a patient come to him for this

one thing that did help is when i quit i still had 280 pills and a refill due to be picked up...i didnt cheat nor did i want to but it acted like i had an out during the physical withdrawls (like a security blanket)...on day 13 i flushed all 280 and never did pick up my script

the breathing is helping alot...thank you again for such good advice...i am new to these feelings and had no clue something as easy as deep breaths would help
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Corey. Do you have any idea what your resting heartrate was? Mine would jump up to around 120 which doesn't seem like much but my resting heart rate is usually 60.
It is scary at times thinking...oh crap...what the heck did I do to my heart. I still race once in a while and it's been 3 months but usually it's when I am anxious or thinking about my old crappy self. Crazy how our emotions can really change our body and stress levels.

Keep in touch with your doctor that is helping you. My doctor told me that alot of medical professionals do not know how to deal with addicts. I just wanted to make sure that you were rechecked for your white blood cell count. Yeah stress can do that but being sick will make your heart rate go up too. If you start hurting somewhere just make sure you go back to the doctor.

Yeah...I delivered two children without drugs using breathing techniques. Mostly its a matter of just calming yourself and thinking this too shall pass. It's not unusual for newly clean addicts to have anxiety or panic attacks. We wacked out our bodies for a little while. They will get better if we take care of them.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

those numbers were at rest..it would be higher when i was up doing stuff...the highest i seen it was 168

things are getting better now...i lowered my dose on the BP meds back to 1 pill twice a day and my heart rate is 88 to 107 on average now...the breathing is what is helping the most i believe

at night is still the hardest though ...as an alternative to anxiety pills Dr suggested smoking pot at night before bed and it seems to be helping...i can sleep all night now

it will be 30 days without the Norco's on monday so i feel very positive that the worst is behind me now

i want to thank you again likehappiness for the wonderful advice and just being there...i was in a personal crisis and you and this site helped me allot
Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Corey, Glad you are doing better. Make every day a new sober day!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just wanted to give you a pat on the back for how well you are doing. Amazing and really an inspiring person. Your commitment comes through and you will have many good years to look forward to. Being honest with your doctor was the beginning of recovery.