Notices

Oxycodone

Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxycodone

A few weeks ago I was prescribed 5mg oxycodone 2 x daily for a legitimate back problem. Since then I've taken probably six a day, along with say 2-3 1mg xanax tablets. I chew them instead of swallowing them whole. I also wash them down with more than a few glasses of wine.

Since it's only been few weeks, will I be okay to just stop taking oxy as of now? I can taper off the xanax, but I'm just about out of oxy and don't want to get any more.

My regular dr is on vacation right now or I wold go see her. Her replacement is a male doctor who I am not comfortable with.

Until this episode, Ive been really good with the xanax. I have crippling panic attacks and it really helps, but I can go weeks and weeks without needing to take one normally.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

best to flush the oxy down the toilet!!!! Stop now before it goes any further.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm totally prepared to do that, I just want to make sure I won't get any unpleasant side effects from just stopping rather than tapering. I rang a medication information line and they wouldn't say one way or the other.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For 30 mg/day I think you could flush them. I imagine you'd feel some unpleasant side effects and it's difficult to predict exactly how that would go, everyone is going to respond differently, but it seems worth it and 30 isn't too bad. The problem is if you were prescribed to take it 2/day and instead chewed 6/day do you really think you could successfully taper?

I hope that doesn't come across the wrong way. I'm only saying that because I have similar issues and recently came off of an oxy habit, attempted some tapering, and ended up taking the rest of what I had for the tapering (except with whiskey), and ended up not gaining anything by the attempt. Maybe you're cooler than me, and if you think so and are dead set on avoiding any side effects you could try halving it and see what happens. Either way good luck.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Upquark - yeah that's the point, I don't think I can successfully taper so I'm wondering what effect it will have if I just stop taking them. I think i was proably taking more than six given how many prescriptions I have filled lately (I can see the drugstore charges on my bank account online), although when I don't have to work the next day I take much, much more than when I don't have to work.

It's hard to know becasue with the drinking and the xanax on top of it I pretty much black out.

I ended up talking to a nurse from one of my AA groups who works in drug and alcohol rehab and she gave me some advice and said in my case it's fine to just stop the oxy.

So today I feel like crap but I am so ready to quit everything. I've been on the fence, but now I am so done. Stick a fork in me!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TL-- I think that you will not feel good for a few days but after day 4-5 you should be feeling better. Mixing the alchohol and drugs is bad. You are lucky you are still here post to us. Takes the respiratory drive DOWN. Not breathing=not living. You can get through it cause many of us have...but its not fun.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On Oxycodone for Four Months

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post...ever. I'm not sure I even know what I'm doing so by all means, please excuse my ignorance.

Well, here goes...

About four months ago via an MRI I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and lower back. Since I'm 64 years old I guess that's to be expected. My doc said that, over time, it would only worsen. To deal with the pain he prescribed Oxycodone 5/325, two tabs, every four hours. About two weeks later my wife had just waxed the kitchen floor, I slipped and tore my right knee to shreds. Goody! More pain with which to deal. The knee pain is worse than my back and neck. In any event, he scheduled me for a visit with an Orthopedic surgeon to see what he had to say about the situation. See, I told you I didn't know what I am doing, I'm way off track.

I didn't know anything about Oxycodone so I started hunting around on the net to see what I could find out. After reading several things about it, one of the most disturbing was the levels of Acetaminophen contained in it and that it could do a lot of damage to one's liver. I expressed my concern to my doc so he switched me to straight Oxycodone, 10mg, every four hours. I continued my research reading various sites that address the use of these substances and became even more concerned over their addictive properties. HMMMM, I thought, not good. OK, what am I going to do now. The last thing I need is to become addicted to some stupid drug; I'd rather deal with the pain.

Since I know virtually nothing about these drugs I was wondering what advice you folks could give me relative to quitting this stuff. I don't think I'm addicted but then again I'm not sure. In any event can I just taper myself from this since it's been only four months or should I seek further assistance?

Any advice you can offer will be gratefully accepted.

God bless,

Gwaredd

Cymru am blyth! (Wales forever!)
Old 04-21-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You might want to start a new thread. You will probably get more responses that way. First off Welcome. Secondly we are not supposed to offer medical advice so quitting / tapering should be discussed with your doctor. If you were only taking them for pain and not looking for a buzz they will probably be easier to get off of. Your body is probably dependent on them at this point which is different than addicted, but you might have some unpleasant side effects if you just stop taking them. Let your doctor know you want to come off of them. Try to find some alternative ways to deal with the pain (heat or stretching maybe). Good luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

gwarred I agree with Marcus that this might be clearer if you started your own thread. That said, if you are taking the oxycodone for pain as prescribed by a doctor I don't think you should automatically assume you're going to get addicted. Most people that use them (legitimately) are not going to have a problem. But, if you are very concerned about that possibility the thing to do is talk to your doctor about it and what alternatives there are. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upquark View Post
gwarred I agree with Marcus that this might be clearer if you started your own thread. That said, if you are taking the oxycodone for pain as prescribed by a doctor I don't think you should automatically assume you're going to get addicted. Most people that use them (legitimately) are not going to have a problem. But, if you are very concerned about that possibility the thing to do is talk to your doctor about it and what alternatives there are. Good luck.
To be honest, and I believe in being honest since otherwise one is simply wasting their time. I have on occasion taken more than I probably should have because the pain was so severe that the recommend dose just wasn't killing the pain. I just want to get off this stuff as soon as possible. As far as my doctor is concerned I'm not overly enthusiastic about talking with him about it since he only gives me small scripts at a time and I don't want to get into a confrontation with him over it. Now, understand this is not an everyday occurrence, nevertheless, I don't want to keep going back and asking for more "pills" I just want out of this bloody business as soon as possible. If had of known how bad these things are I would have told him to keep them. But, as I'm sure you know, we are not often given all the facts.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Gwaredd
Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gwarred you have to do what you think you ought to. If you're concerned about the side effects and whatnot it should be easy enough to ask about that, though I certainly can sympathize with hesitation to consult with doctors all of the time...

My concern here is only that people feel like they can't use the stuff for pain as they are supposed to because other people (i.e. me) abuse the stuff in order to get high. I can't fault you for wanting to be careful, but I hope you're able to find a substitute that can help with the pain that you are comfortable with.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Upquark,

I have a friend who I have known for 20 years. He is an MD at a prestigious hospital here is Wisconsin. However, my poor friend is suffering from bone cancer. He is also on Oxycodone. He suggested that I ask my doctor to prescribe a higher dose so that I won't have to take it as often...A HIGHER DOSE? And then what? A higher dose after that and a higher dose after that? Where does this whole thing lead? MISERY! Period. No thank you. After four months, I simply want out. The fundamental question at this point in my life is: HOW? What is the best way to go about this? Knowing nothing about these drugs or their effects, is it possible to wean myself off of these as I have read other people doing? Or, are there other approaches?

Gwaredd
Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gwarred. As far as using your pain medication in excess and getting you addicted. They key there is to use the medication ONLY when you are having pain. It does not mean that you have to take it around the clock every 4 hours or 6 hours. If you are having slight pain then take only one tab. Don't take another one if you don't need it and only until you need it. If you are feeling okay that day and haven't walked alot then take ibuprofen or tylenol only.

Pain medication is given as a suggestion....on how YOU are doing. It is not an absolute or a good idea to think.....oh...I MIGHT have some pain so I will take them no matter what.

Only you know what pain you are having....use it accordingly.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dear Likehappiness,

I have been doing a lot of thinking this evening regarding some of the feedback I have received. You are absolutely right. I have decided to begin tomorrow. The mornings are the worst for me. Nevertheless, I will use a little as I have to and maybe I will used none at all. I sincerely hope that the last statement is true. I have also decided not to use it unless I absolutely need it. I am going to put as much distance between myself and IT until I am through. The Welsh people are tough. It's in my blood. It makes no sense to sit around and feel sorry for myself because I'm experiencing some pain. A lot of folks out there are having a much worse time than I am.

Thank you for comments and concern.

Gwaredd
Old 04-22-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really, really recommend talking to your doctor before going cold turkey. That can be really dangerous. You will have withdrawal symptoms and you need to manage those.

I had a friend taking oxy for several years due to back surgeries and she took them as directed, but when she didn't need them any more, her doctor took MONTHS to taper her off them, like a quarter of a quarter of a dose at a time in order to avoid withdrawals. It was still very tough for her and she wasn't experiencing addiction.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

THe drugs aren't bad per se. They are genuinely needed to manage pain so people can go about their lives, plus they allow for movement and mobility which is essential after surgery and so forth. They have a legitimate purpose. Not all use is bad. There are ways to manage to take only the recommended dose, such as having someone else dole it out to you so you don't have access to the whole pack.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi all,I've just spotted this tread.
I have been suffering Pain and numbness
in my shoulders for a good while now.
I have been checked out by my Dr
who now says its Arthritis...I thought it was a Trapped nerve.
Anyway she Told me to get some Pain Killers
in the Chemist for it....Panadol....nurofin...what ever.

Been a former Tranqualiser Addict
Addicted to All sorts for 25 years
I dont want anything to do with
Pharma Relief....at the Moment.
I'll stick with the Pain for now
I can cope....after all the withdrawls
I have been through down through the years;
this is just the sign of getting older...

Relaxation recordings,Meditation,Tapping etc Help me.
I am going for physio this weekend as well.
Good Luck
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

TL- I was not suggesting that he stop taking the pain medication. I am saying to take it for when he is in pain but not to over do it and take them for the sake of taking them. Also...don't just blanket oh, the doctor says every 4-6 hours so take them EVERY 4-6 hours. Normal people take medication AS NEEDED. That is what I am suggesting. Not to blanket cold turkey.

Micealc - Have you ever tried glucosamine Chrondoitin. My husband had shoulder pain and he had heard to try this for joint and arthritic pain. He tried it and it did help him. I think these vitamins and minerals work for some and others they do not. But I am always why not try it and see what happens? Something to think about.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

likehappiness - I wasn't directing that post at you but at the OP. However it's not correct that if you have a chronic pain condition that you take it only when you're in pain. You take it AS PRESCRIBED to avoid the ONSET of pain. Pain leads to restriction of mobility and inflammation, which leads to further pain and restriction of mobility. If a dr says to take nurofen, for example, every 4 hours, then that's what you do. The purpose of pain meds for chronic conditions is to keep you mobile.

However, we shouldn't be giving people medical advice whether we agree or not lol.

See you doctor peeps!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dear Tigerlili,

I looked as the bottle agin and there was nothing on it that said PRN. It simply said: "take one to two tables every four hours for pain." That is what I have been doing. Sometime I'll only take one and supplement it with Ibuprofen. I only get about four hours of sleep a night. This morning, for example, I woke-up in such severe pain I could barely move so I took two along with Ibuprofen. I feel somewhat better now.

I feel like I'm caught on the horns of a dilemma. I'd rather not have to take anything at all but Ibuprofen will, by itself, not do the job. So, what do I do? I see my Doc today so I'll need to talk with him about it. Out of the script he gave me last Friday I only have enough left for twenty more days providing of course I only take two a day. I hope I can get by on this but there are no guarantees. It's all going to depend on how well I can manage this thing and how often I get severe pain attacks. Again, as I said, I usually only get about four hours of sleep a night and I getting sick and tired of sleeping in a recliner (no pun intended). I will usually have to take another dose even it's two o'clock in the morning so I can get back to sleep so the prescription is based on the fact that I'm a "normal" person who can go to sleep and get a good eight hours. Bull-hocky! I just doesn't work that way. This whole this is getting real old real fast.

Again, let me perfectly clear, I am only taking the meds a prescribed and it doesn't say "PRN" on the bottle.

Thanks for writing back.

Gwaredd