Notices

Beginning my journey to sobriety!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginning my journey to sobriety!

Hi all!

Let me first say how much this forum has helped thus far. Just a little background info...I started taking hydrocodone 6 years ago. At first, I was going thru serious dental issues and had been prescribed for 3 months. Well when the pain was gone came the high that I fell in love with. For the first 2-3 years, I was only taking it at night because I thought it made me sleep better...well that increased to morning before work, ride home from work, and before bed...this was the 5/325, I would take 1-1/2. Here I am, year 6 and I was at 80-100mgs a day. I have taperd down to 60 and lower by 10mgs each week.

What really caught my attention was I noticed my skin breaking out terribly and I have never had any serious medical problems and don't want any either. I really didn't know about the physical dependency until in year 3 when decided to quite once before. I know now that I do not want this to get any worse than it already is...I'm not a drinker, and have not experimented with any other narcotics....I am truly ready to be me again.

I have everything I have always wanted...a good man, successful business, and a great daughter, I want to live as long as possible to be here for my daughter.

Right now, I'm kinda weighing my options...I want to taper down to 5mgs before I jump off, I bought all the herbal supplements suggested by the Larry Recipe, mellisa supreme, glutamene, b6 and a few others. I'm going to start taking those now. I have a consult with a sub doc today, my concern with that is, I don't want to be on it long enough to get addicted...if you are only on it for 2 weeks, will you WD when you get off?

And I'm debating on waiting till after my vacation in June to start...or is that just my addicted brain talking. But then again, I thought, going through WD on a beach in Jamaica may help the process. In fact, I was there 3 years ago, ran out, and went thru pure hell...I handled it good enough that no one knew I was sick...I had gone 7 days, gotten over the hump, and got back home and scored as soon as I could. But I think the environment made the WD more tolerable.

I am going to write my plan this weekend. I am open to suggestions...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@N2b Welcome to SR! And congratulations on making such a big decision. I started my opiate use with codeine and hydrocodone as well....for years I jumped around to every opiate I could find other than heroin, and ended up the last few years on Suboxone. My original intent was to use for two weeks, and be off for two weeks, then be done with it all. Well, unfortunately, I was not actually in the "quitting" mindset, and never really quit...my habit developed just as strongly with Subs as it had with other opiates. There is definitely the ability to get on and off within a two-week stint.....but there's no telling how you will react to it and getting off it. I know for myself, I COULD have been done in two weeks, probably with little withdrawal, but I chose to keep using, not trying to get off it. The less time you spend on it the better. If you can end on a low dose, you SHOULD have minimal withdrawal symptoms. Even if you experience some slight symptoms, that's fine too. People often expect to feel 100% and no symptoms at all because Suboxone isn't a full opiate....but it's still an opiate, you can still withdraw from it, the body can still be dependent on it. Just make sure you have a plan in place to only be on it as long as is needed, and get right off. The last thing you want is to substitute one drug for another, like I did. On another note, and I wish I had the link, but I recently read an article about how breaking bad habits/addictions is easier while away from home or on vacation. Your mind equates triggers and routines with every day activities, and when you're away on vacation you don't have the same routine, so it's easier to get through the mental aspect. Just an idea. But if you are only going to be on it for 2 weeks, it definitely sounds like you should be able to get right through this. You surely won't have serious w/d problems, even if it's a little bit, that's better than full-blown w/d. I think anyone can handle it if they really want to get it done with. Suboxone w/d, if you are not dependent or addicted to it, is far easier to go through than full opiate w/d. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

@N2b Welcome to SR! And congratulations on making such a big decision. I started my opiate use with codeine and hydrocodone as well....for years I jumped around to every opiate I could find other than heroin, and ended up the last few years on Suboxone. My original intent was to use for two weeks, and be off for two weeks, then be done with it all. Well, unfortunately, I was not actually in the "quitting" mindset, and never really quit...my habit developed just as strongly with Subs as it had with other opiates. There is definitely the ability to get on and off within a two-week stint.....but there's no telling how you will react to it and getting off it. I know for myself, I COULD have been done in two weeks, probably with little withdrawal, but I chose to keep using, not trying to get off it. The less time you spend on it the better. If you can end on a low dose, you SHOULD have minimal withdrawal symptoms. Even if you experience some slight symptoms, that's fine too. People often expect to feel 100% and no symptoms at all because Suboxone isn't a full opiate....but it's still an opiate, you can still withdraw from it, the body can still be dependent on it. Just make sure you have a plan in place to only be on it as long as is needed, and get right off. The last thing you want is to substitute one drug for another, like I did. On another note, and I wish I had the link, but I recently read an article about how breaking bad habits/addictions is easier while away from home or on vacation. Your mind equates triggers and routines with every day activities, and when you're away on vacation you don't have the same routine, so it's easier to get through the mental aspect. Just an idea. But if you are only going to be on it for 2 weeks, it definitely sounds like you should be able to get right through this. You surely won't have serious w/d problems, even if it's a little bit, that's better than full-blown w/d. I think anyone can handle it if they really want to get it done with. Suboxone w/d, if you are not dependent or addicted to it, is far easier to go through than full opiate w/d. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Stopdropburn;3349193]@N2b Welcome to SR! And congratulations on making such a big decision. I started my opiate use with codeine and hydrocodone as well..

Thank you Stopdropburn! That gives me some hope! And I think the article rings truth...I am gonna use my vacation as therapy for the mental side of things. This forum is really helping with my planning process.

I'm not totally sure but, I think I'm having some symptoms..sinces I have cut back, I have had some gastrointestinal issues. And earlier this week...I only did 30mgs, and I started getting sweats and chills. I will update my status daily...this alone is great therapy!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I can you is to hold your chin up high and fight the good fight. You ARE stronger than the meds. You are stronger than you realize!
Remember too, All Fallen Angels pray for a second chance.
Pray hard and be strong.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too bought every remedy there was, made plans as to where to be etc, and tried subs. all to learn that I just needed to fight through and get that crap out of my system as fast as possible. You can do it. Just get it over with, the faster you can get it over with, the faster you can stay clean....
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too bought every remedy there was, made plans as to where to be etc, and tried subs. all to learn that I just needed to fight through and get that crap out of my system as fast as possible. You can do it. Just get it over with, the faster you can get it over with, the faster you can stay clean....
Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for your comments. I talked to a sub doc yesterday. I told him I was concerned about the WD from the sub. I was thinking that I could be on it for maybe 2-3 weeks, but, the doctor said i would probably be on for 6months! I really don't want to be on it that long. Is 6 months really nessesary or is he just trying to extend the treatment to collect my money?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need2beMEagain View Post
Thank you guys for your comments. I talked to a sub doc yesterday. I told him I was concerned about the WD from the sub. I was thinking that I could be on it for maybe 2-3 weeks, but, the doctor said i would probably be on for 6months! I really don't want to be on it that long. Is 6 months really nessesary or is he just trying to extend the treatment to collect my money?
Can't say for sure....but do you mind if I ask what mg you are currently using?? If you are down to less than 60mg a day I don't understand why they would put you on a 6 month treatment for something you could be done with in a few days/weeks. If you are on higher doses I could understand. *IMHO, if someone can be started at only 2-3mg or less a day of Suboxone, then there's no logical reason to be on it for months. Most people drop by a mg a week, and if they started at even 3mg a day, then 2-3 weeks, maybe a month, would be normal tapering....but 6 months??? I don't believe it. But it's all dependent on your dosage and use.........but to me, if a person is successfully tapering themselves of their DOC, I don't get why a doctor would try to get them on a long program of detoxing.....doesn't add up.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was addicted to high doses of opiates for over 10 years and quit cold turkey about seven weeks ago. I feel so much better than I did on the drugs and am getting to being 100% again. If you quit now, your body will have time to heal before going on vacation in June. I personally would not want to go through withdrawl while on vacation. Look at the vacation as a reward for getting off the stuff. I thought about subs or methadone, but I am so glad I didn't go that route now. It's not easy, but it can be done!! Good luck and keep posting!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi guys....thank you all again for hanging in there with me! Stopdropburn...I thought that sounded a bit fishy. I know everybodys experience is different, but for me, this is the first time in my life I have delt with addiction....I didn't grow up experimenting, I'm no drinker, just because I don't like the "drunk" feeling and I'm not to the point where I will take anything I can get...to that end, I didn't think 6 months of sub treatment sounded right.

I told him a little bit about my plan...I was at 100mgs a day, and it took 5 years to get to that point...currently I'm down to 60...I'm going down 10 mgs per week. I can feel the difference in my tolerance...it has really gone down. I was taking 10-13 pills a day and now I'm down to 6 next week 5 until I get down to 5mgs/per day. After telling the sub dr...he said some ppl can even taper themselves completely off with out subs and that it sounds like I'm on the right path. I told him that I am concerned about the cravings after the WD...my thought was that I could do the subs for a week or 2 to get over the hump.

I think I will get a second opinion! @sophiamarie...thank you for your words of encouragement. That was exactly what I was thinking about my trip in June. I figure if I get thru the hard physical side of it, that would be a great place to get thru the mental side of things. Thanks again all...I will keep you all posted!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have talked to my doctor about subs and it is a maintenance drug to stay off other opiates. I elected not to do them because I do not have much cravings. But if you find yourself relapsing alot maybe you should consider it. Opiates mess with our brains and that is why it is hard. I am one of the few lucky ones who does not crave much.

Take care and it is great being off drugs. Withdrawal c/t takes about 1 week of hard withdrawal. Hope you have some support. And take care.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need2beMEagain View Post
Hi guys....thank you all again for hanging in there with me! Stopdropburn...I thought that sounded a bit fishy. I know everybodys experience is different, but for me, this is the first time in my life I have delt with addiction....I didn't grow up experimenting, I'm no drinker, just because I don't like the "drunk" feeling and I'm not to the point where I will take anything I can get...to that end, I didn't think 6 months of sub treatment sounded right.

I told him a little bit about my plan...I was at 100mgs a day, and it took 5 years to get to that point...currently I'm down to 60...I'm going down 10 mgs per week. I can feel the difference in my tolerance...it has really gone down. I was taking 10-13 pills a day and now I'm down to 6 next week 5 until I get down to 5mgs/per day. After telling the sub dr...he said some ppl can even taper themselves completely off with out subs and that it sounds like I'm on the right path. I told him that I am concerned about the cravings after the WD...my thought was that I could do the subs for a week or 2 to get over the hump.

I think I will get a second opinion! @sophiamarie...thank you for your words of encouragement. That was exactly what I was thinking about my trip in June. I figure if I get thru the hard physical side of it, that would be a great place to get thru the mental side of things. Thanks again all...I will keep you all posted!
That's a good point - many people CAN taper straight off their DOC. It's entirely possible. Often even tapering from Subs will leave you with slight cravings...I still get them here and there 42 days later....you have to keep yourself in a certain mindset and stay busy, not focusing on those feelings, which will pass. As was mentioned however, if you're convinced that you will relapse because of the cravings, or if you feel that you won't be able to avoid seeking more pills, then Subs really might be the way for you. I still don't believe it requires 6 months....but also if you think you can keep yourself from seeking more pills, then maybe trying the straight taper from them is all you need - keep in mind, you may still have w/d symptoms from the Subs, not intensely, but they occur....so one way or the other you need to push through it to make yourself healthy again. Good luck whatever you do.