Notices

Today.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

Today.

I am grateful for today.

I usually post on soberrecovery when I am having problems, but today I am in a good place. I thought it might be nice to put it in words.

I had a rough week. My best friend of 12 years underwent major surgery to remove malignant tumours from her mouth. She was diagnosed with cancer last month. I was terrified. But the surgery went well, the surgeons think they got it all, and she is doing fine.

I am grateful things turned out so well.

At no point in the past month have I been overly tempted to slip up. I was too worried to really think about myself and my addiction had no place to stand.

For that I am grateful.

Now that the surgery is done, I realize I had put my life on hold. Nothing mattered except her life. And she still has it. The doctors are optimistic that she will beat this. She has been through the hardest part.

I am grateful that I have another day with her. Today is a good day.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Be grateful that the recovery you have enabled you to step out of self and be there for your friend. Be grateful that you were able to put someone else first.

ANY day is a good day if you don't have a drink. Look at what sobriety enables you to do. March on soldier.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankful for having read your post RRR. Glad the surgery went well and hope they got it all. My grandfather had mouth cancer but it wasn't caught until it was advanced. He did undergo surgery, though, and we were blessed with more time than we'd have had otherwise.

Your friend's lucky to have you. Keep the faith and continue to stay focused on the things that really matter. :ghug3