Notices

anti depressant

Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anti depressant

it has become clear to me that my anti depressant no longer works. I am experiencing clinical depression.

I'm writing it here because it will help me to do something about it, to hold myself responsible.

in the morning i will call a psychiatrist, right now the prescriber of the celexa is a general practician. and in my gut i know the right kind of doctor is one who specializes in these sorts of things.

ugh.

i hate this disease as much as the addiction disease. ugh ugh ugh

also hi, it's been a while. i'm so glad this forum is here.

Anyway, heres a copy/paste from mayoclinic.com. I'm going to put a bold X next to everything that applies.

Depression symptoms include:

• Feelings of sadness or unhappiness X
  • Irritability or frustration, even over small matters X
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in normal activities X
  • Reduced sex drive
  • Insomnia or excessive sleeping X (excessively tired)
  • Changes in appetite — depression often causes decreased appetite and weight loss, but in some people it causes increased cravings for food and weight gain X
  • Agitation or restlessness — for example, pacing, hand-wringing or an inability to sit still
  • Irritability or angry outbursts
  • Slowed thinking, speaking or body movements
  • Indecisiveness, distractibility and decreased concentration X
  • Fatigue, tiredness and loss of energy — even small tasks may seem to require a lot of effort X
  • Feelings of worthlessness or guilt, fixating on past failures or blaming yourself when things aren't going right X
  • Trouble thinking, concentrating, making decisions and remembering things X
  • Frequent thoughts of death, dying or suicide X
  • Crying spells for no apparent reason
  • Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain or headaches
  • For some people, depression symptoms are so severe that it's obvious something isn't right. Other people feel generally miserable or unhappy without really knowing why. X

from dartmouth.edu Signs of Clinical Depression

Signs of Clinical Depression

Concentration is often impaired X
Inability to experience pleasure X
Increase in self-critical thoughts with a voice in the back of one's mind providing a constant barrage of harsh, negative statements X
Sleep disturbance or unable to fall back to sleep
Feeling fatigued after 12 hours of sleep X
Decrease in appetite or food loses its taste
Feelings of guilt, helplessness and/or hopelessness X
Thoughts of suicide X
Increased isolation X
Missing deadlines or a drop in standards X
Change in personality X
Increased sexual promiscuity
Increased alcohol/drug use UGH!

yeah i hate this disease
Old 04-03-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I support you in seeking further help. I tried a number of anti-depressants and they didn't help in the long term - they actually contributed to manic episodes. I've been on a mood stabliser/anti-psychotic (Seroquel) for four years now and it suits me perfectly. I still have short periods of depression, but on a scale of 1 to 10, they are maybe a 4-5 instead of a 10, and very, very rare. I've also had weekly psychotherapy the whole time too, and that has certainly helped.

Don't give up and keep working with your doctors to find a good treatment.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SOBERWRLDRCDPOWER

I take lexapro. It's a lighter version I guess we could say for Celexa. The man who invented Celexa wasactually trying to make a drug for his son that had Autism. Lateron in life his sondidn't do any better with the Autism part but he had sexual side effects and Celexa is a big one for causing severe sexual problems. I'm a guy so I had no problem getting there I just could not end the session and a lot of intimacy and closeness was lost between my wife and me in this department because every time we felt like ok light camera action!! Anyway I was just letting you know that there are a lot of us on something . I go to a psychologist as well and she's wonderful. But I feel your frustration. There are so many out there and the only way to find the one that works for you is trial and error. It sucks cause it takes so long for these things to even enter the body then give it suffecient time to even allow it a trial run. But don't be discouraged. I know it's hard but they'll find you the right one and you'll be on top of the world in no time.!!! Best Wishes!!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Ugh, so sorry, Oceansize. I can only agree that the best option for you is to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible. I have done this myself and finally found what works for me.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I found this on medications:

"This is not to say that the alcoholic addict who suffers or suspects he or she may suffer from depression should not see a medical professional. Quite the contrary. AA has "no opinion" on that issue, as is noted in "The A.A, Member and Other Medications," pamphlet. However, it must also be noted that our experience (as set out in the pamphlet) is that if a person requires medication and is not taking that medication, this may prevent him or her from having the spiritual awakening that is necessary to arrest his or her active addiction."