Notices

Proving to myself that I CAN do this!!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Proving to myself that I CAN do this!!

Hi everyone,

I saw my therapist today and we talked about the fact that I've been able to abstain from reading my roommate's blog for right at a month! She said she had hoped I'd be able to stay away from it for my own well being, but also she asked me something to the effect that if I can stop doing something like that, I can do the same thing with the opiates. I of course know when I can get those pills again, in about 3 weeks... it's tough, I'd love to just say no more opiates, but I'm training for a 5K right now and being I cannot take NSAIDS, I feel kind of stuck. Of course, when I binge on them, I HAVE to just deal with the pain anyways, so... I believe I've hit that point in my addiction where the minute I take ONE pill for all the right reasons (what it was prescribed for), my neurons start firing and going nuts and before I know it, I've taken 10 pills and I'm passed out . That is powerlessness. Thanks everyone for all of your kind words, advice and prayers. I've told my therapist about this site and how helpful everyone is . Hope yall all have a wonderful weekend!!

~Pandie
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems like you know what to expect if you slip and it is a horrible slippery slope so I wish you well, continue to post, try your hardest not to slip back because it's way too easy for one pill to lead to two to lead to you passed out (as you described). Your life is too precious.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Great read Pandie. It's good that you're acknowledging this before the time comes. Wishing you the best.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pandie, I was just like you-I would go through a month's prescription in a week (but I took other addictive pills to get through withdrawls off opiates) then would start back up as soon as my script was due. Have you talked to your doctor? I know it's scary, but cutting off your resource is a major step in getting well. I would quit, but never wanted to tell my doctor just in case I needed them. That was stinkin thinking on my part. I did that for years. Get honest and they will help you. If I can quit all the toxic pills I was taking you can too!-Actually since being off of everything for six weeks, my pain, anxiety, attention has all improved. The pills were making it worse. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pandie, Sophiamarie is sharing the benefit of her experience. Please tell your doctor the truth weeks before the script can be refilled. A back-up to get the pills "just in case" is stinkin thinkin. I hope you are able to do this. I think you can.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone so much for all of your kind words. Yall believe in me more than I do. One day at a time, right?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

checking on you

Just checking on you Pandie. How are you doing, how goes the fight for cleanliness? I just have to chime in with my 2 cents even though it's been said, but I could never have quit if I had pills available to me. I told my Dr. I was addicted and wanted to stop and he helped me. This was the same Dr. who prescribed for me for many years. I so agree with - cut off the source - it makes it so much easier on your brain even if your body is yelling at you!!

Get well Pandie (Panties ha ha) I'm lovin' you and caring about you.

...Ruby...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ruby, and everyone else. I'm doing well. I've got almost 9 days now off opiates .

I found out last week that I have to have surgery in June so I'm going to try to give my body a "narcotic holiday" and get them out of my system b/f I go in to surgery. I know I will need them after that for at least a week.

Over the past 18 months I've lost 125 lbs and have a lot of loose skin, so I'm having that removed. My surgeon said the majority of patients are on pain meds for about 3 weeks . I'll be in the hospital for 3-4 days and have to be off work for 2 weeks. The great thing about getting this excess skin removed is that it should help with my hip pain .

I'm going to try to be proactive even with my surgeon. I'm trying to get up the courage to tell him that I don't want him to give me any refills on whatever he sends me home with for pain. What's scary, and sad, is I think I've completely lost the ability to know when I need to take something for pain, and when my brain is just trying to convince me that I need something for pain. :/

I feel very blessed for all of you who are here to guide and advise me. I know with yall, I can do anything. Thanks so much!

Hugs!
~Pandie