Notices

Adderall & Marijuana - College Problems

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adderall & Marijuana - College Problems

Hello y'all, first off I would like to thank everybody for being here and sharing their advice, thoughts and personal battles with addiction as well as the success stories! It's great to connect with others, who share the goal of overcoming an addiction (w/e that may be) and living a more productive, happy life. Ty!

I will try to briefly introduce myself and why I am here. I am 21, junior @ college going to school for accounting. I first tried marijuana when I was a jr. in high school and than summer after graduation started to smoke on the regular. From there on, I smoked on a daily basis and couldn't estimate how much it was daily. In addition, my doctor prescribed me to adderall (originally 30mgs) to help me with my studies.

My sophomore year was something out of the ordinary to say the least!! I wound up w/ a girl(fling, fwb) for a period that supplied me with marijuana for free, which did not help feed my growing addiction. Short story, I started to notice her craziness and stopped talking to her. This led to her faking a pregnancy and me w/ good year of emotional distress, social refine, and court dealings. That is over now!

It was during this time I had my first emotional breakdown while on adderall, which I don't think my "situation" at the time helped with my mental state. At times I would take adderall on a daily basis, but majority of time was just for a few days than off...or just for a night of studying or procrastinating. My doctor switched me to Vyvanse 40mgs, but at times felt the same way (mentally depressed, down for no reason, jittery, anxiety). Than tried Adderall on 10mgs, which i currently still have to take when needed.

Well good news, I have been one month sober of marijuana since the beginning of this month!! I have battled with wanting to quit for a good while now, but just would continually say "this is the last bag" and excuse after excuse. I began to notice that marijuana was changing me. Such as:
- less productive, as I call it marijuana = demotivator
- social issues/recluse, like thinking people judged me and only feeling at ease being under the influence, but in reality was just making me have anxiety (this on top of taking adderall at times, which added to anxiety)
- loss of emotions (emotional intelligence).

I can say the first few weeks were rough, vivid bizarre dreams. I have replaced the times I normally smoked with working out, and have picked up a healthier diet. However, today I did have an emotional breakdown while studying for an exam while I was on adderall.

I have read about adderall abuse in college (google the tragic story of Kyle Craig) and do not feel that I am a proper person to be taking, in part that I battle with an addictive personality. It helps me with the workload and big exams, but sometimes adderall just sucks!!

In part why I decided to join today, in hopes of some advice, opinions, and just someone to talk to. I have great ambitions in life and love my family, which is a big reason why I hope to get things under control as soon as I can.

My concerns and ?'s are:
-What should I expect in the coming months as far as marijuana withdrawals?
-What should I do about the adderall?
-Since I seem to have an addictive personality, what are the damaging affects that I am doing/have done to my brain? I have read a small alot about the chemicals released by adderall into the brain.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long post and hope that you had a great day, whatever day that may be you read this

-Hope4BetterLife
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hope

I have no experience with adderall but I smoked pot daily for 25 years or more - if you're still having physical withdrawal problems in that respect (irritability, insomnia, apathy, anxiety etc) I'd expect them to lessen as the weeks go on. I found getting active really helped me

The psychological withdrawal may take a little longer - I had to stay away from smokers for a while...I'd suggest the same for you

You'll find a lot of support here - welcome aboard

D
Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

With regards to weed, I agree with what Dee said. I also smoked for nearly 25 years and quit two years ago. I had some issues with insomnia for a while but that very well may have had more to do with the pills I stopped taking at the time. I've had to deal with a lot of cravings for weed, sometimes I can be sitting there and suddenly, I smell it and then the craving kicks in. Because I moved from Kentucky to Minnesota, I lost all my connections which is a good thing because my mind is much more clear since I have quit smoking. It's definitely not the worst drug to be addicted to but it's still a potent drug, and it can definitely be addictive and cause a lot of problems.

I was on Adderall for 4 years due to what my shrink thought was ADD. Although this diagnosis was made when I was 32 years old, I think the guy was a quack. He prescribed me klonopin (6 mg) xanax, ambien and adderall. Honestly, I never really enjoyed the buzz, I didn't have a problem giving it up but I will tell you I felt a lot better when I did. I enjoyed food more, slept better and noticed my anxiety level go down quite a bit.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First I want to say great that you are looking at this seriously now and taking action to take care of yourself. Sounds like you have recognized that you are needing something different for yourself to move on with what you want in life. This is terrific!

I can't offer you advice from a personal viewpoint but my son is going through something similar; he is the same age as you too. The first thing he did was to stop smoking pot - that combined with the adderall (among other things in his case) caused him a complete mental breakdown and his entire life suffered greatly. In his case the adderall had to go too - but your doctor is the best person to discuss that with.

For him the one thing he did immediately and has kept up with is working out. He has become completely refocused on being active regularly and says that it helps with his recovery work and ability to focus. When he gets anxious and overwhelmed with papers or exams he stops - grabs his gym bag and goes to literally sweat it all out. Calms his mind and allows him to re-focus on what is at hand.

All the best to you as you work through this! A lot of support here.....
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In addition, my doctor prescribed me to adderall (originally 30mgs) to help me with my studies.
What kind of doctor is that? I didn't know studying was a health condition requiring medication?????

This is what is messing you up now, addiction to adderall. This is insane to prescribe pills to study by a medical doctor!.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Amazing!! Thank you guys so much, you have brought a smile to my face this morning

Dee - Thanks for the welcome, I hope that I can provide support to others as well. The day I called it quits, I took to it to throw out all smoking related items and deleted all my contacts.

Steven - Ty for your response. I agree, its not the worst but can see from my experiences how it affects others differently. I have a friend that has become socially attached to marijuana, in which he cannot function or feel comfortable around others unless he is under the influence. It's as if he has two completely different egos.

Cangel - Great to hear that your son has overcome his struggles and refocused himself on better things to occupy his mind & time. Being a gym rat > being a couch potato! I wish him and your family the best. Ty for sharing!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kiki - Agreed, I knew from the start that the easiness was odd as to how quickly he prescribed me to adderall. My first prescription was 30XRS, talking about 12hrs or more of that feeling that is basically equivalent to legal speed!

Just an example to how overly prescribed adderall is, at least in my college town. I went to refill a prescription in the past month (10mgs) and every pharmacy (think 4/5) was sold out! = College Problems. Honestly, I think it is gradually becoming an epidemic sad to say in college and people are to tunnel minded (which adderall does to ya) to recognize it.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I was addicted to Adderrall for years. I went through withdrawl every month due to the fact that I took a month's worth in about six days. The withdrawl's from adderrall for me were extreme fatique and depression. The good news is they usually only lasted two days. It's good that you are taking the right steps to get clean while you are still young. The adderrall will make you crazy and paranoid at high doses and could be deadly.Good luck and congratulations on making the right choice for your life!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Honestly, I think it is gradually becoming an epidemic sad to say in college and people are to tunnel minded (which adderall does to ya) to recognize it.
Wow, what are these students going to do once they graduate and hit the "real" world struggle, such as finding a job, or starting a business, working with impossible co-workers, boss who's a jerk, or just dealing with life in general.

It's waaaayy harder than studying for a test.

I'm happy you recognized this early. The more you are aware of it, the more you'll be able to handle it.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not again

I am sorry, but I did not have time to read the thread, but the Topic/heading just made me think...."No kidding". I mean being a student myself, I could see how marijauna and aderall might have an adverse efffect on one's studies.
Good luck

Larry
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope4betterlife......just checking in with you to see how things are going....
Old 04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going good besides at times feeling tired and having thoughts about what being completely clean will feel like. if that makes sense? Have noticed more positive thoughts and far less negative thoughts. Haven't smoked still and have managed to not take adderall that often. There has a been one or two nights where I took a partial tablet to get me through a few late hours of homework.

I have told my parents about my concerns about adderall and how I dislike the emotional effects and thoughts it gives me. They suggest I meet with my doctor sometime soon and hope that I can go without taking it.

I appreciate your concern cangel2!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you checked back in here.

I am also happy to hear you are going to double check with your doctor on the adderall use.....be honest with the doctor about all you are experiencing....I am sure you will get some good advice there.

Keep in touch with how things are going...you are on a positive path....and everyone here can be a good support with that.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hope4betterlife, if you'd like to talk via PMs please send one to me. I'm about your age with the same primary problems: Adderall and marijuana. I'm not new to these forums actually I've been here for years but considering my current paranoia and obsession with security by obscurity, I've gone underground.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hope all is going well for you.....how are things going....was your Dr supportive?