Notices

Leg Pain from detox

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leg Pain from detox

I am new to these forums and appreciate everyones stories and advice. I am a wife to a recent recovering percocet addict. He had a rapid detox on 2/29. He has been in terrible leg pain since. They have him on Neurontin that helps initially but wears off mainly in the evening. He is asking me to see if anyone knows how long this pain in his legs will last. He feels great everywhere else but his legs feel like he just ran a 20 mile marathon, day in and day out. The evenings are the worst. He can barely stand for a minute. He is afraid it's going to last longer than the doctors have told him, which was 30 days.

Has anyone experienced this leg pain and if so how long does it last. I see him getting discouraged over this leg pain and will do what I can to help ease it. I appreciate your feedback.

-A worried wife
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Welcome Saving! Each person is different. But I find it hard to believe he would experience symptoms for 30 days from Percocet. I haven't even heard of heavy Heroin and Methadone use creating pain that long. I've been on opiates, some much harder and stronger than Percocet, but them as well for years and never had issues longer than a week as far as the pain symptoms of w/d go. Now if you are speaking of another condition he may have that required him to receive the Percs in the first place, that would clearly be different. If he has no medical issue and was using for recreation then I would say the pains will last a week or so depending on how active he is. Everyone has to push through the w/d at some point, in some way...it's a matter of self-determination. Again, I don't know his medical situation, so I'm not saying he can just ignore something like that. Speaking from a recreational standpoint. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exaggerated pain is extremely common during the detox | W/D period. This is mainly due to the fact that your brain stopped making it's own pain killers since it was being flooded with opiates for so long.
Now, I will say that if he is in fact having that much pain for more than a week, he needs to see a Doctor.
Most people experience back pain during W/D but everyone is different.
Now, Two things! Both are EXTREMELY important. Some addicts during W/D will claim they have severe pain and exaggerate about it in the hopes of getting more pain killers.

Secondly, I have seen where some people actually have a major health issue and the pain killers they were taking for so long was masking the problem. It was only when they came off of them is when they realized that they had something going on.

Which one He's going through is anyone's guess and this is exactly why he needs to be evaluated by a medical professional.

I will say this. Addicts are professional world class liars! As the clean one, you must see through the BS to know what's really going on and determine what's in his best interest.