Notices

Without meds

Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Without meds

So my husband lost his job and it was a month that I've been without insurance coverage for my medications and I'm just about out. I started a few weeks ago halfing the dosage to get me through this time and then I had to start skipping every other day so I would not withdrawal all at one time and so they would last the duration of my time without coverage. My husband is currently out of state training for his new job and I'm pretty much falling apart. Between the withdrawals of not taking my meds at proper dosage and the effects of not having full medication on my illness (I'm bi-polar w/PTSD by the way) I feel like I'm losing it. Not to mention I'm here all alone during a very scary time. I had a panic attack two nights ago and it was a pretty bad one. Fortunately I had a close friend who I was able to talk on the phone with and she calmed me down a bit. This is just so hard. I believe I will get my coverage back tomorrow and should be able to go get my meds filled then or Friday so I'll be back on the road to recovery but for now I'm a mess. Scared, alone, uneasy and tremoring like crazy! I guess I'm not looking for answers of any kind..there's not much that can be done except get my meds back but just wanted to ramble and maybe get some support. Thanks.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are they that expensive? I wonder if you could get temporary financial help for that...
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They are extremely expensive. I've tried the avenues I know to get temp help but none have panned out. It's close enough now to time to be able to get them that the point of doing any more in that area has passed. Thanks for the idea though!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

are there generic versions?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes...all but one of my meds come in generic....w/out insurance the least expensive one is 115.00. Don't even get me started on the price of medicine these days, lol.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

There are rx programs through the drug companies, maybe check with your local low income clinic and they can help you with it.

I have been on the rx programs for years now and my meds cost 10 dollars for 3 mos worth through my clinic. Please be very careful messing with your med levels and see a doc asap.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suggest contacting these people -- Prescription Assistance Program | -- right away. They got my friend a year's worth of Effexor & Wellbutrin when he lost his job. As I understand it they work quickly.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Ask your Dr. if he has samples. Many do and will be happy to help you.