Notices

Drug interactions and home detox

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug interactions and home detox

My husband has been on a combination of 80mg per day of Hydrocodone for about a year following an accident, also takes about 4mg of Xanax per day, 450mg Wellbutrin and 20-30 mg of Lexapro (off label 30mg per his doctor).

Anyway... My husband has been through detox twice. First about 12 years ago for Vicodin & alcohol. Then five years ago for alcohol. Has been clean of the Alcohol since then.

He has had a problem for a while, and I am really surprised that his doctor gave him a narcotic based on his history. But it happened and he became addicted to it. Also is addicted to Xanax and wellbutrin.... this has been for many years.

So with this in mind and ready to to his head back on straight he told all of his doctors about the addiction. The pain management doctor started him on Tramadol - the max dosage per day. He is now experiencing some severe withdrawl symptoms. However, according to the RX websites there are major reactions with the SSRI drugs.... I even contacted poison control last night to see if we should go to the E.R. and to confirm all of what he was taking was not a potential toxic concoction. I have also been in close contact with a Detox/rehab center and have been prepared to take him in for the past week if he needed it.

Anyway... Main concern is the interaction between the drugs. I've seen him have a drug interaction before with effexor and it was terrible - had to call 911 and all that.

Is his pain doctor a complete idiot for not cross referencing the drug interactions? I'm really quite upset about this. Especially because detoxing from any substance can be deadly or cause permanent physical damage.

He has a Psych appointment tomorrow, so I am hoping they can switch his anxiety and depression meds to something that works. I'm still concerned about the Xanax dependency, but I guess he'll need to take one thing at a time Right now the Xanax is actually helping to keep his blood pressure down going too high.

Anyway... Thoughts on the drug interactions? What is the best way to approach this with his psych doctor? I am going to call his pain management doctor tomorrow to check again about the interactions, and in the mean time find him another doctor for a second opinion.

I understand his addiction issues. He has caused me deep sorrow and pain over the years and his addiction to substances has consumed a huge part of me. but I understand that he has physical issues and he also has addiction issues - this was bound to come up again. I know it's a disease and as family we need to be there for others. I'm sad, hurt and a bit angry... but I have been true to my word and have been there for him.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome lovemyhusband1

If your concerned about the treatment you (or your husband ) is getting, I'd definitely chase up a second professional medical opinion

D
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Haha, this reminds me of a time, not so funny, but I will tell you anyway.

My boyfriend is an alcoholic/drug addict. What drug, I don't really know, I think it is anything at this point, he's going downhill quick. Anyway. He spent the night at my house one night, and left his Tramadol there. He had a work related injury and the dr. gave him that because he told him he is an addict, which is good, but he takes too much and uses that as an excuse for why he takes all the roxy's. "Oh, well I ran out of tramadol so I need something for the pain." Yeah, right.

Anyway. He left his tramadol at my house, called me and asked if I could give it to him. I said yeah. At this point I should mention that I have a little problem with prescription pills. Oxycontin, to be accurate. Not necessarily an addiction, but definitely a problem. I am an anger addict, it really happens, and I used to use drugs to get rid of the anger so I could feel somewhat normal again. I have a very big problem still with alcohol and anger, so I watch it, but I haven't touched a pill in 6 years.

Anyway, he lied about when he was coming to get them, so I decided to take it upon myself to take 3 of them. Mind you, the bottle said, take one every 8 hours. I took 3 at once. It made me very very mean. Oh yeah, and I am also on Effexor. BAD combination. Trust me. I was mean, and I was sick, and I was ashamed on top of everything else because I gave in a took a pill (well, 3) when I was angry. I thank my HP it wasn't Oxycontin, or I would not be here talking about how stupid I was back then.

Yes, definitely tell the doctor. The side effects are ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As stated above, a second professional medical opinion would be in order. Good Luck and Glod Bless you both.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

@ lovemyhusband1 : YOU, are an awesome wife! He is so lucky that you are so understanding for him and so adamant about assisting in his fight against his problems. So, SO many spouses and partners just don't understand what it's like, and how quickly loss of control happens. It's even harder when you actually NEED some type of narcotic for a real reason....we raise our pain tolerance without intent and even if he wants to ween down tha narcs it's going to be more painful than it should be as his body is used to much stronger chems. I can also say going from 80mg of hydros a day to Tramadol, which is really just above Tylenol many believe, must be a very difficult transition for him. The Tramadol caught my attention.....I once used to abuse it heavily when I couldn't get my DOC, and I once even caused myself to have a seizure and ended up in the ER because I took too much too fast one day...just woke up on the pavement with paramedics and people scrambing around me......it was bad...*Be very careful with that stuff*. I don't know if this is the same for him, but I also used to take Lexapro, and I did not react well to it AT ALL, likewise, it also created precipitated withdrawls for me when I took it after I ran out of my subs about a month ago....I thought I was going to have to go the hospital for a bit. BUT...again, way to go helping him so much and taking the safe route and checking into all his meds like this. More recoveries need people like you around
Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with Stopdrop- you are a great wife. He's lucky to have you.

I, too, have been prescribed tramadol. It's a really weird drug...some people (inc my pain mgmt doc) say it's an opiate, and some disagree. I think people really aren't sure how to categorize it. I also take an SSRI and have heard about the interactions. I think it's wise to speak to your doctor about concerns with interactions. The good thing about tramadol (in my experience) is that it helped me wean down significantly on my opiates so I did not experience bad withdrawals. I was on vicodin. I also had no inclination to abuse it, which is excellent. It didn't make me high or crave it. I, too worry about all the info about seizures and tramadol out there.