Notices

Question about Bath Salts?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Bath Salts?

Hope I'm in the right place. I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is, and what is does to the person. A woman I work with has a niece who is apparently addicted to this relatively new drug. I understand that it's not "Calgon-take me away" , but I don't know what it is, what chemical, how it's injested (smokes, sniffed,???) Any information appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not entirely sure this is the best place to give out that info really - even if I knew.

I just know I could misuse anything to get high.
D
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sniffed or smoked, the term "bath salts" applies to a meth-like substance that is chemically different enough from meth to evade traditional legal restrictions. Many states have of late passed laws to catch up with this "designer drug," but small changes in composition continue to result in a legal cat and mouse game.

users of bath salts are likely to experience paranoia and elevated energy akin to meth effects. heart rate increases & erratic heart beat sometimes are noted. Individuals using bath salts have been known to become violent, but this is anacdotal.

This drug is very bad news.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Methylenedioxypyrovalerone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mephedrone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are two substances commonly sold as "bath salts". They are currently illegal in the USA due to an emergency law passed last September
'Bath Salts' Used to Get High Are Now Illegal
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok, thank you. I just wanted to know if it was something more like cocaine, or meth, a stimulant or a sedative, that sort of thing. My friend that I work with is a bit older and isn't very good at surfing the net to look up these things, so I told her I'd see if I could find anything. She honestly did think it was the "Calgon" bath powder! Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Forewarned is forearmed, imo. (I have an AS, but so far I haven't heard him mention this, and that's one reason I didn't ask him....didn't want to give him any ideas, ya know?)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Terrible Drug. There has been lots or reports of deaths due to this drug and that if it is injected it causes flesh eating disease that has been killing people regularly. I hope this crap goes away. It's bad enough to have all the other drugs out there.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The TV show "Intervention" recently had an episode about a guy hooked on bath salts. Here is a teaser but this show is worth a look. To see the whole episode you'll have to break out your wallet.

Skyler & Jessa - Intervention Episode Guide - Season 11- AETV.com
Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was visiting San Francisco a couple of years ago. Pier 55 or whatever, and noticed a few shops selling bath salts. All different colors and varieties. I had no idea what bath salts were about. I was thinking all of these buckets of calgon salt? Weird. Never occurred to me to buy a pound and take it home and smoke it. Wow what's next.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
icutrauma1

I'm in the medical profession. The chemical alteration to the neuro receptors after just one or two uses renders the brain to a point of no return. In layman terms, you might as well drill a hole in the skull & pour a teaspoon of acid in, essentially destroying flesh on the microscopic level.

These things are disgusting, just disgusting. agreeing to it would be like accepting pedophilia. There are things that humans are not meant to be exposed to.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From what I understand, these "bath salts" are extremely bad news!
I've read many stories of people basically have psychotic breaks and winding up in the ER.
The Doctors treating these cases are having a difficult time because there is not much precedent in the medical world for this problem.
THese bath salts wreak havoc on the brain and the medical community is genuinely concerned because many think that the physiological damage caused may be irreversible. Personally, I believe that the fellow who created these salts should be strung up and disemboweled to made an example of!

Think about it for a moment.. Some guy invents this chemical nightmare in his garage for the sole purpose of lining his pockets - at the expense of young (and old) lives at the loss of countless millions of tax dollars spent treating these people at the ER.
Of course, the idiots who use this garbage are not terribly smart either! THe old saying goes,"it takes two to tango".

icutrauma may be 100% right about the damage to the neuron receptors. Once you've done irreparable damage to them, they DO NOT repair themselves. Little is know about this because this is such a new phenomena. I'm quite sure that the bodily damage it inflicts must be exceptional considering the amount of deaths and psychotic episodes that have occurred.

What disturbs me even further, is the fact that store owners willingly sold this garbage to put a few dollars in their pockets. Granted, most of these shop owners in my area tend to be Pakastani (or whatever) and they have ZERO regard for anything or anyone. So long as they can get a few dollars out of your wallet and into theirs they could care less about the welfare of the community. The very community that keeps them in business.

OK, so now I've vented... I fell better!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That episode of Intervention is actually in the "On Demand" for A&E right now. The guy's name is Skyler. I watched it this morning, and WOW!! Bath salts are nothing to play around with! That poor guy will probably never be the same.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tmaddict View Post
That episode of Intervention is actually in the "On Demand" for A&E right now. The guy's name is Skyler. I watched it this morning, and WOW!! Bath salts are nothing to play around with! That poor guy will probably never be the same.
A life forever changed because of a couple of "highs"... What a damned shame!
IMO I think many drugs should be legalized. This way people won't risk doing stupid crap for a high like with these bath salts.
Unfortunately that will never happen since Law Enforcement and prisons are a multi billion dollar business. When I was in law enforcement, I saw the piles of money rolling in every week for "drug interdiction". Of course, "Law Enforcement" was confiscating money and assets left and right.
What pissed me off was confiscating vehicles and property that was not the perps, but rather a family members..
I'll never forget when my department seized a cadilac from a teenage girl who got busted with a couple of grams of coke. THe car was her grandmothers. Her grandmother had saved for years and when her husband died, she used the remaining money to buy herself the car she always dreamed of. THis old lady had sacrificed for years and years to buy herself this car. THe judge, being a complete Ahole told her tough you know what. Then come to find out later that the Caddy was part of the judges motor pool... He drove it around town and used it for personal business. Where's the justice in that I ask?
OK - no flaming here... I know, that's political! 'm slapping my hand right now. Bad boy.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These are so very very dangerous. Not only can they cause psychosis but they can cause the body temperature to rise from the inside such that the person burns alive, the medical profession has no way to bring down the body temp at this time.
This happened in our community very recently.
My caseworker told me someone called law enforcement when they saw a naked man in a kmart parking lot beating his head against the wall. He was, of course, taken to the ER. He didn't live very long because parts of his organs reached the unreal temp of 140 degrees. There was no way to treat him.
My caseworker had just attended a seminar and had a handout of the newer "designer" and not yet illegal drugs that she shared with all her clients and had a discussion with them about it.
It is still for sale, $60 for a small vial here, because each time it is outlawed, the manufacturers make a small change to the formula to circumvent the law.
I think this is the scariest and most dangerous drug out there right now.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Personally, I believe that the producers of these designer drugs should simply be put to death - With a bullet to the brain.

How many people would consider producing these "designer drugs" if they knew the penalty was death?

This is something I feel very strong about - But you couldn't tell that from the tone in my post : )

I'm quite serious about this subject. Here's my argument:
The drug manufacturers are killing their customers without any remorse of any kind. THink about this for a moment... These vermin are producing a drug that they KNOW deep down will cause death, misery, and heartache.
Do they care? Not one bit.
Their sole motivation is lining their pockets at the expense of someone else's life. What the difference between what they are doing and the actions of a serial killer? No remorse or hesitation of any kind! This is the mind of a sociopath for goodness sake!

I say that society give them the courtesy of a reach around and remove them from both society AND the gene pool.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've heard more and more about this drug. Didn't know much about it until I watched that intervention episode. SCARY STUFF!

A friend of mine works in a psyche ward in town here. She has a 17 year old girl who tried bath salts once. She will never be the same. She walks around in circles saying " I only tried it once"......that's all she can do. So so sad.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OMG. why, why, why do people put this stuff in their bodies??? I know it's not the same thing, but in a way this sounds like that new drug that's in the favelas of Rio de Janero, called "oxy-dado" (not related to oxycontin), but a more severe form of crack. According to the MSNBC special I saw, it's cheaper, more toxic, more addictive, and the users typically die within one year of onset of use. I cringe, fearing the time it hits the US.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One of my close friends from childhood,her little sister is hooked on this crap.She's about 17-18 now.She came into my work about 6 months ago and looked like she was hooked on meth.(Every sign,trust me that was my former "love"...) I called my friend and told her that her little sister was really high on some kind of upper,looked thin and sickly and she was in the wrong part of town with some questionable people... My friend told me she's hooked on something called "bath salt" and that its simulair to meth,but sold in a smoke shop.The sister ran away from home,her parents were finally aware of the situation and tried forcing her into a detox/rehab but she ran before they got her and thats when I saw her.She was on the streets right up until Christmas time when her mom say her sitting shoeless at a bus stop..

bath salt...? seriously... people use Epsom bath salt to ease achy bones in a BATH... You might as well just smoke the real crap if your willing to buy this stuff...Its absolutly horrible.We've got plenty of options for suffering and death,why add more to the list?Its sad that some people will do anything to make a buck...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To DeadAZ: It is very sad, people will do anything to make a buck, but what I still don't get is why people will pay for this stuff and put it in their bodies? For the mental escape? I often wonder, 200 years from now, what this period of time will be referred to. Is this the self-inflicted Dark Ages? The Age of Self-Destruction? Is this a form of natural selection that will eventually run its course, whereby all the genes for addiction will eventually disappear from the pool? I find this period of time we are living in very sad.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more KuanYin! *shakes head* Couldn't agree more...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree with you guys more; this stuff scares me horribly.

I have a couple friends who have mentioned wanting to try it recently, "just once" (and of course hearing this, the recovering addict in me -who is doing better every day- cringes and shudders. We've all heard and said THAT before...) I'm so afraid they will actually run across it and that will be the beginning of the end. One who is really at risk is a former speed freak, and this person has enough issues without this. It won't end well if he gets a hold of it. Scary and sad

The other finally saw that Intervention episode with this stuff and it scared them right out of thinking it was a fun idea, thankfully. I'm begging them please, please don't try it "just once" EVER. This is bad, horrible, scary stuff. Do they have any idea "just once" can be all it takes? As if we don't have enough problems with "regular" drugs nowadays! It makes me physically ill thinking about whomever made this stuff knowing what it can do and laughing all the way to the bank. It's sick. What is wrong with the world? It's bad enough as it is without making it worse *shakes head* I really hope the yank this crap off the market entirely if they haven't already. For some reason I thought it was gone in 2010 but the above friends seem to think it's still around in smoke/head shops. I hope not, and I hope for their sake they never find it.

Last edited by NoWhereGirl; 03-02-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: clarification/punctuation/grammar edit