Notices

Love yourself this Valentines Day

Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Love yourself this Valentines Day

Hi all,

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Valentines Day! I am single so no big plans for today except to love and be kind to myself. I spent time working in a recovery workbook this morning and now am studying for a test I have this afternoon.

Also want to say how very grateful I am to have found this site. I also occasionally visit a "Chronic Pain/Pain Management" site but have never joined. It is striking the difference between that site and this one. The people there are all bitter, drug-seeking and live in constant fear of losing their drugs. I know there are people that have to deal with chronic pain, don't get me wrong, but most of these people are so lost in their addiction.

The people here at SR are loving, caring, inspiring, and hopeful. I love that about this place!! Just wanted to thank all of you and say, "Keep up the great work!!"

Love to all of you!

~Pandie
2 wks clean and sober today
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pandie,
Let me tell you that living with Chronic pain is no "Valentines Day"!
I can tell you though that when I first started the meds, I thought a miracle had happened. No pain, able to do almost anything physically, great mood (a little too good).
But then guess what - I discovered that the meds were a lie. I learned that they only made things worse. When I realized first I had an addiction to them, I lied to myself all the time. THen as time passed I learned that I had to find a way of living without the meds and with the pain.
Well, after a seriously hard road I thing I've found the way. It's a good feeling!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love Valentines Day!

Good for you on 2 weeks Pandie!

Ivan - email has been unearthed!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes,pain management is a huge challenge for any addict. For me, the blown up back and working construction meant my first opiate addiction. Couple years later and i get into recovery. I began to 'love myself' , began to be aware, began to listen to the phys. therapist who told me there was another way to treat my chronic back pain.

So i began the stretches, the crunches, the sun salutes, the asking for help on the job site, the daily walks [and then runs/bicycling]

Today the pain is waaaay manageable. yeah- that constant slightly numb foot messes with skiing . But no "meds" - barely an Ibupro. now and then.

i suppose the message that i had to hear was : no more short cuts/instant gratification. That willingness to work on some aspect of loving myself a bit each day- that's recovery...
Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear yall. I deal with chronic pain and am not able to take what would work best for it (NSAIDS). I have chronic left lower back and left hip pain. I've lost 125 lbs but still have this. Used to have knee and foot pain, but that is pretty much gone with the weight loss . I'm trying to re-learn what my pain warrants now. I'm committed to trying tylenol, ice, heat, PT, etc before I take a pill .