Notices

Qutting Marijuana (+) after 8 YeaRs

Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Qutting Marijuana (+) after 8 YeaRs

Hello,

My story is as follows. I grew up trying marijuana starting at a young age (13 first time). Throughout age 16-20 I became a fequent user of the herb. In the begining I never saw any of this coming. I was a teen who lived in the moment and didnt think to the future. After a while, 'abusing' marijuana wasnt enough. The harmful effects of smoking day and night was appearent (plus CIGS), i began to seek new 'thrills' as most stupid teens have. (I know im dumb). Long story short, I ended up becoming addicted to opiates but finally made the decision to get clean after 2+ years of using oxycodone. Over the last month and a half, I picked back up smoking marijuana fulltime (pothead status) Verses using suboxone, etc. I basically needed marijuana and I couldn't be more pro marijuana in that respect.

ANYWAY

Now the time has arrised where i no longer 'need' cannabis to combat the opiate withdrawals.21 years later I need to regain control of my life n set my self up for the future. I'm on Day 1 no marijuana and the realities of the situation has set in.

The reason im posting isnt for sympathy but for advice or tips from people with experience. I'm 21 yr old Male, I begun weight training every other day and i'm trying to keep busy. Support would be nice but any suggestions are appricated. I have noone to talk to as my family doesnt understand the struggles i endured these last couple years. I'm reaching out and not for a Joint , for help!

Thx for reading - StrugglingSurvivor
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

heh survivor
I was all over in my various drugs of choice. Tried quitting many times- actually , what i did was switch drugs many times. Rarely put together significant and real clean time. I do NA. I was 44 and desperate so i did what they told me - went to meetings, got a sponsor , worked the steps.

I am 16 years clean. No more broken down dreams. Instead, my Big Life just keeps on unfolding before me. And I get to participate . Fully.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's great someone can relate and I agree switching drugs for drugs is a bad idea.

What i forgot to mention is i had quit for several months before my opiate addiction grew but I remember vivid dreams and the EVIL nightsweats.plus even with a full body workout today, as of 11:30pm Im WIDE AWAKE (*sign)
Any idea to combat those nitesweats. i remember waking up to a soaked bed, the most akward sitaution to deal with at 3am

Any more advice or words of wisdom would be benifical. It feels good to voice myself, I been in isolation for over a month basically. My neighborhood is not the best place to grow up.(alot of bad influences), so staying to myself was the way out to soberity. I start my college semester soon hopefully 100% drugfree and im lookin foward to meeting positive people in a postive enviornment
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Been there done that. I smoked MJ for 45 years. Getting off of MJ was not an easy task. I found a program that worked for me and has for quite some time. Good luck on your journey. logo
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi onewitreason

I smoked for 30 years or so - quitting certainly had its challenges - mostly irritability and missing getting high, insomnia, jumpiness, extreme boredom and a very short attention span....things like that.

I don't recall nightsweats but I had them with alcohol withdrawal - I think you just have to ride them out.

As others have said, I'd recommend support too - use it as regularly as you need - it's good to know we're not alone

You've made a good decision - welcome!

D
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

reporting back in.

ended up sleeping total of 3 hrs maximum now im back up . I feel kinda tired yet, cant sleep, weird. no nightsweats yet (thankfully) but tonight is another night =\ .

The positive responses are great though, might sound stupid but its helping me cope.
Thx u for the warm welcomes and I like the quote you have at the bottom Dee74 . "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

quotes can be very postive reinforcements
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That doesn't sound stupid AT ALL!! This place and the wonderful people here saved my life, and they continue saving it everyday. When I was WD from opiates, I spent hours on here- reading and re- reading posts. Everyone here is kind and understanding, and more importantly, know what you are going through. The insomnia thing sucks to say the least. I'm a couple of days short of a month clean, and I still don't sleep well most nights. I am getting about 5 hours now, which compared to the 1-2/night for the first 3 weeks, is amazing!! Congratulations on your success so far!! You are brave and strong, and you can beat this- one second/minute/hour/day at a time!!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i know it sounds overly simplistic but in rehab they kept telling me: "no one ever died from lack of sleep" it does suck being fatigued thru the day but one of the biggest early gifts in recovery was finally sleeping all night - clean....

I got to bed too late Thursday night but here is what my day had looked like: 6:15 AM breakfast and JFT reading with my son
Clean kitchen
7:30 fiberglass and epoxy work on rear wet locker of catamaran we are building [31'- long ago dream]
10:30 dog and i go on bike ride into Natl forest . he chases a big buck. i just get tired.
11:00 sponsee calls with latest "high class problem" something like whether to buy a harley with his bonus....
1:00PM drive over pass to buy more material for boat
3:00 fish the Arkansas- catch 15" brown for dinner
5:00 meet friend from AA, eat gourmet quality rabbit stew he had made. His boy wants me to check out new fishing rod .
6:30 play ping pong
7:30 NA meeting
10:15- home

Works for me....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

REPORTING IN- MAJOR NEWS!!

well turns out i failed my mission
already
but tommorrow I plan restart my journey to quit.=[ In my OP i forgot to mention the people in my life.
My one of my 'close' friends that i visited this weekend is consistly smoking marijuana, using holding a significant abundance of it. I guess hes not the best friend to have because i told him i quit and he continued to offer as he toked.
I caved.
Problem is the majority of people i've been socializing with over the last 3 years basically are bad influences(or maybe priorities are backwards). I came to a conclusion that , this close friend of mine might have to be put on the backburner for a while, if you know what i mean. sucks because i thought i could handle being around marijuana w/o using. i need to abstain from smoking/seeing/smelling marijuana(i usualy smell when im walking around my neighborhood =\)

i Do want to get to the point where i can hang out with my friends new or old and not smoke regardless. When that time will come, i'm not sure.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah I forgot to mention.... I had to change my circle of friends, theonewitreason.

You might have to consider that too - at least til you can stay firm to your commitment no matter what the circumstances.

D
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You've just gotta give it up, the lifestyle and everything. I've been clean from weed ( and all other drugs ) for 7 months, you just find yourself not wanting to be around these people because you can see them for what they really are, stuck in a rut, that they can't get out of.

I manage at Mcdonalds bro, in OREGON. 9/10 people that work there smoke weed, 10/10 people that work there drink. Besides myself, and the 64 year old owner / operator, are sober.

Do you have a reason to quit? Why are you quitting? You have to ask yourself this. I strongly believe in the cold turkey approach, all or nothing, it's what's going to keep you from going back. You have to have a SOLID reason on why you're quitting my friend.

I myself had been a 2 gram a day smoker, every 2 hours i'd light up, from the time I got up, untill the very hour before bed. To me it just wasn't a lifestyle I wanted to chase anymore. What lead me to quitting was a realization that I just didn't want to keep on living like this. along with quitting weed I also quit my pack a day cigarette habit, and my 6 pack of tall boys a night habit. As a christian my SOLID reason for quitting was because I was putting it before God and I wasn't living a godly lifestyle. If you havn't put your faith in The Lord now is your chance my friend.

Once you've become an addict to a drug, it can never again be used in moderation. You've got to leave it behind, end the chapter, and start a new chapter.

Please, message me if you need any kind of support, questions, or reasoning.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

they told me "stick with winners"
later i realized that i kinda had a junkie pride thing going: King of the Losers!

then i learned to love myself

and all hell broke loose! [which is what i had been waiting to do - get free of that prison-of-my-own-doing]
Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice thread OP. Someone told me once that you're only as good as the people close to you. If you immerse yourself in bad influences, you become one. Instead if you're around positive people it just makes your life that much better. Bad and good depend on your perception, but obviously pot smokers are not what you want. They will wreck any sobriety you've put in. It's hard to say no to them. I had a tough decision back in Sep. I dropped my friends, family, and city to get clean. I went cold turkey with the reasoning that it was all or nothing. I'm either going to do drugs or I'm not. It had been so long since I was sober I forgot what it was like. The end result: There is light at the end of the tunnel. Past that there is the sun.

Godspeed to you.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wink

REPORTING IN.

Basically, I been coming back and re-reading the great posts periodically that everyone has posted. I thank all for contributing so far. I find my major issue is my 'friends'. I know a true friend would accept the fact im quitting and support me. Instead one of my 'good' friends continues to try to support my habit. I express my thoughts to stop n he offers to lit me up even to this day. Maybe, its because of his desire to quit, he sees me stopping and doesnt want things to change. Maybe he can't stop himself and it makes him feel better to see me addicted also. (my money goes to him for the stuff when i bought for myself, so its a win/win for him to LIT one up and continue my addiction) I guess thats not a good friend =[

The way i see it is, Someone in this neighborhood (group of friends) needs to lead the rest! The guy is me. If i can set the positive influence, I can keep my friends and continue to NOT SMOKE. TO me, that would be the best outcome, I doubt it would happen though =[

drunkenboxer couldnt be more right his post. Its gonna be rough but i need to create a new soical life for myself or follow my above plan.

PDXcruiser post made me think, Yes, I have reasons that make me want to quit! solid reasons that i've collected in thought over the past years.

what better idea to post then so i can review when needed and also to give you guys an idea.

1.waste of money
2. waste of my life
3. negitive social life in result of smoking
4. lungs are screaming for relief
5.same Routiene of smoking daily (wake up, After food, after coffee, after excerise, after class, after any stressful situation)
6. Frowned upon by some.
7. Onlly able to connect (socially) mainly with potsmokers
8. Risk of arrest
9. Nothing really to show for myself the last 3-4 years. Besides college, I aint doing **** with my life.
10. Marijuana IS A GATEWAY DRUG for 50% of people (im in that number) IT lead me to peoople that did other drugs that i said I WOULD NEVER DO. Being in that environment lowered my guard and evenually experimented. Espically wit opiates its easier to be in social environments like WORK, PARTYS, CLASS compared to the slow, SLuggish high of marijuana. Thats why i got hooked. I stoped marijuana and did oxys. then I did oxys AND smoked marijuana.

One thing ill never forget was being a kid (14-15) in a park i used to hangout at in my first couple years smoking weed. One of my friends old brother came up to our group, seen us smoking, looked at me out of everyone (5-6 kids) and said YOU are goin to be the one to do harder drugs (phrased along those words) I laughed, shrugged it off and never thought twice. I said "ME HAHA NA NOWAY, ONLY WEED!" Maybe he jinxed me, maybe its a coincidence.. maybe i looked really high that day LOL (my eyes get RED)

either way...
That guys words haunted me for a while and i want to finally put that side of me to rest. Beacuse for so long i laughed at that guys opinion and later in life i wish i would have valued his words more seriously.

EDIT: wow i typed alot, feels good to express myself, almost as good as smoking.
i'm not goin to lie, I have been smoking the bare minimum ammount (couple pipe hits). I have yet to smoke today. I feel i've gotten so far wit my life progess. NO cigs, NO pills, excerise everyother day. It makes alil weed not that bad ( i workout like a beast high) Im not condoning my smoking, The negs. surely outwieght the postive effects. I just gotta pick a day and stick with it, like someone said

Change my lifestyle, I must.
Suceed, I will
(enough yoda talk )

I WILL STOP. I PROMISE EVERYONE THAT!
I will continue to report back in with the lastest news. THANK you agn EVeryone. your support is a major reason im attempting this
Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

how often are you using? what I am getting at is, don't make your life harder than it is. I personally do not feel that MJ is not as serious as other drugs. I view it the same as cigs. neither of which I do, but, i'm not going to beat someone up who likes to smoke weed a few times a week. it's their life.
is the weed the reaosn you haven't done anything with your life the last 3 or 4 years or are YOU the reason you haven't done anything wuith your life the last 3 or 4 years.

I personally do not think your problem at this point in life is weed. I think your problem is that you are anti social. Stopping smoking weed is not going to magically make you a social person. You have to put effort into developing the life you want to make.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

regarding chronic as "not as serious"- yeh i've met' functional' heroin addicts as well. But for me , getting clean - including alcohol and pot , was the only way i could tackle all the other issues- including isolationism... Its why most recovery programs leave it up to the individual to decide if they are addicts.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

me too

Hi
I ahve been smoking non-stop every day morning, noon, night for 35 years. I am 4 days today. I am going nuts, angry, nauseas, cant sleep, have'nt eaten barely anything in 4 days, sweating, I hate this, I need to quit, but sometimes i think is this worth it. The doc gave me BUSPAR to help with withdrawl, seems to help a little, I feel like i am dying, I am scared how life will be straight, I dont remeber life without pot, pot has not held me back, i am succesful, have a family, but i cant do anything without it,

Help
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome kaliman

I hope you'll find the going easier as the days go on - I did

You'll find a lot of support here too,

D
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Reporting In,... where to begin ?

trappeshot, while i don't consider myself extremely social, i wouldn't go to say im an 'anti-social person'. I'm so lazy and behind when stoned I basically become less social. (I only smoke Higrade A++)

When I say i havent done anything, I mean to my old expectations. I was an outgoing person before using marijuana and more after using initially. Summertime everynite as a teen i was outside, hanging on street corners, parks , friends houses n getin high or getttin into trouble. Everysummer i go to the themeparks and ride the rollercoasters and go to other events and parties.once I took opiates, that extreme personality expanded, i would love to go anywhere and talk to anyone. Everyday was great, opiates were the reason. I was living in a fog. Those days are gone but the urge for that socal lifestyle remains. I have a feeling my eurdophin levels(howeva you spell it) are low and i might still be alittle depressed. I want to complete my transformation to complete soberity and quiting is the missing link to that chain

Which brings us to the question of how often i smoke. for the last month I got my self down to about half a gram a day via bong. When i have more money, I restock slightly more. the way i smoke is mutiple small hits. (one in morning. after workout. after dinner. late nite.)(when able) but After years of that lifestyle it feels pathetic and kind of pointless

BUT with no further delay HERE is....
MY CURRENT SITUATION

Today, with the nice weather upon me, I decided to join my friends in a game of football at the park. Trying to keep my mind off smoking and more on excersie and other productive activities. I've been limiting my smoking to the point whre once again im hoping to start fresh tommorrow. ANOTHER (*sigh) day 1 of no smoke and im think im ready...

KALIMAN-

Though i did not smoke for 30+ years, i can only wish i was in your position, 4 days in clean!!!! the signs you display are ones i remember the last time i tried to quit (3-4 months sucessful), epsically the sweating. You arent alone though, thankfully! These people have been guiding me and the support i have received is a great relief.
Signing out for now..

With that said, Once again I

Last edited by theonewitreason; 02-19-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarification and mistake
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Onewithreason.

Here goes a long shot...

There is life beyond Weed. Don't let anyone fool you. It's a very emotionally addictive drug. It's like a girlfriend, a really high maintenance girlfriend.

Now, Are you the kind of man who likes to boink your ex's? If so, it's going to be impossible for you to give it up.

Or are you the kind of man who once it's done, it's done!

Ask yourself this.

You can do this bro, sometimes it takes a couple times getting sucked in.

For some people it takes multiple quit attempts to finally have one that sticks.

For me, it took two attempts, the first time with 2 years of abuse under my belt, and 4 months of sobriety.

The second attempt, was after another 2 years of abuse, but this time i've got 8 months of sobriety under my belt. And I don't plan on returning.

For some people it takes more times than this, but you'll get it.

Perhaps if you moved in with some relatives out of state, or out of the city, or from wherever your at, and start fresh. There's nothing like a FRESH START.