Notices

New to recovery

Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

Ok so I have been in denial about the severity of my addiction for some time. I have a friend who would often share her prescription with me....an oxy or a percocet here and there. This started a few years ago. I got up to taking between 90 and 150 mg of oxy a day, depending on what I could get. I get them either from this friend, who knows I'm hooked now, or a dealer. My best friend/roommate is also hooked and taking probably double what I am.
I've seen this drug turn her into a liar and a thief and I'm terrified of going down that road. I caught myself lying just to get a pill and I hate myself for that. I want to get off the pills, but I know she isn't ready to get clean yet. My friend with the rx is planning to wean me down slowly over the next couple weeks. I know this probably isn't the best plan but I trust her and I can't afford to miss work right now. I would love to have any advice as I am new to this. When I have tried to stop the pills before, I get very exhausted and irritable and at night time I can't sleep and I'm very restless.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
You have taken the important first step to realize you have a problem and reach out for help. I can tell you the road to recovery will be hard if you continue to associate with friends/roomate who continue to use, as you will be tempted. Regarding tapering, I did it over a year ago, but had no more supply when my pills ran out. Most posters find that tapering off does not work, but it will make the w/d's not as bad if you can do it over a few weeks of time. I don't know if you have a trusted doctor, but if so, you may wish to consult.

There are lots of posts on SR regarding Oxy w/d's and great suggestions to make the w/d's much easier. You can expect GI problems, restless legs, hot/cold/sweats, not much appetite, very little sleep, sneezing spells, low energy, wild dreams and overall aches and pains. I took a lot of hot baths, as hot as you can stand.

If you are committed to recovery, you must realize you have to walk this narrow road to get to the other side. I used opiate pills off and on for many years and this 13 months is my longest period of non-use in over 20 years. It can be done. If you have not used that long, you should be in better shape. Do it now; don't wait for years like I did.

Keep posting. We are all here for you and many have walked in your shoes.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,

You've made the first and IMO the most important step by acknowledging you have a problem . You can do this. Is there any kind of program in your area where you could see a physician about tapering down? I just worry about the "friend" not being able to do this adequately and safely.

This is a wonderfully supportive community, so come here as much as you need to. If you are able to get to 12-step meetings, I would also suggest that. Helps to know you are not alone, because you're not .

~Pandie
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know having a friend tapering me down is not ideal. But I don't have health insurance and am worried about the cost of a dr... I will look into what kind of programs my area has. I haven't taken anything today and I feel awful...thankfully it is my day off.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Luweez

Good luck trishe- when you are free and clear
Of the nasty wds, you will NEVER have to feel like this again. You CAN do it!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Trishe

D
Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to recovery trishe!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome I dont know what advice to give u as im in the same boat with opiates I have been clean off them for 12 days now and things do get easier as each day goes by its more the mental aspect of the addiction for me now which is worse i think my husband and i are both coming off morphine but he is about 30 days ahead of me. I went to detox pretty much a month after he did i stayed the max time i could , but coming home was a much bigger task then i thought i after 7 days my withdrawls were still there and to boot i have a 4 year old to look after. I am in someways very jealous of my husband he is in a treatment center. And as for me i have the computer for help. Im not even able to attend meetings yet becuase of lack of someone to watch her. So for now im using this place to vent and get support because for now that is all i have. YOU CAN DO IT THOUGH ITS A TUFF ROAD BUT THE ROAD IS FILLED WITH ALOT MORE BUMPS BEING LOADED Reach out to people like u have it really does help
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

trishe,
First things first. Go to your doctor and spill the beans. Be 100% honest with your doctor about what you've been doing and how much you've been doing.
Your Doctor will be able to determine your best treatment plan. I DO NOT recommend trying to W/D cold turkey off that high a dose. Sure, you can do it but it'll be a hell ride. Sweatheart, go see a doctor immediately!
Do this for yourself before you are forced to do this behind the walls of a prison alone and hurting.

I been where you are and most of the SR community has too.

We'll make you a deal... You see your doctor and we'll see you the rest of the way out. Is that a deal? I ask because I'll accept responsibility for writing to you every day on your way out. You have to take responsibility for yourself though.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Listen to Ivan- he knows what he's talking about!! I know you said you have no insurance but go to a free clinic- go anywhere you can and see a doctor.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Trishe, Ivan is so spot on! Here is what I did from an oxy dose of sometimes 2oo mg a day.

I went to the Dr. and as Ivan said I literally "spilled the beans"! I cried, I was ashamed, I was afraid, I had every emotion you can imagine. And I hadn't even started yet! I know you say you have no health insurance, BUT, what if you broke your leg? what if you had a heart attack? what if....? There are free clinics out there just go looking.

In the long run a clean and sober you is a much better mother, wife, employee, than a drug addicted one. Take some sick time off if you can (I had the Dr. telephone my work - they don't seem to be so bothered if a health care professiional calls them!)

Work with a Dr. to get clean. Most of us need a 'team' of support and this is your first one right here. Stay here and read and post while you work with your Dr. I didn't taper but went c/t with my Drs. help and approval - and it worked!

My biggest problem was dehydration, drink, drink and then drink somemore! You can do it - it's hard to imagine what it will be like in w/d and then recovery,right now, but from someone 2 1/2 years clean, I can tell you the end result is GREAT.

I've never felt so good, so happy to be alive, in all my life!!

Try hard and then harder still!!

...Ruby...

The Dr. is under NO obligation to tell your workplace the nature of your illness, nor is it even allowed so don't worry about that.

Last edited by RubyRose; 02-08-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Had an after thought.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Got my first meeting under my belt today

Hi everyone
Just got back from my first meeting . It was awsome I met so many great and generous people. Didnt do any speaking not ready for that yet but it was nice to just sit and listen got a few numbers of people going thru the same as me. I even got a just for today chip. That was pretty cool. I guess the next one will be for 1 month im so excited to get that. Turns out the meeting I went to was the same one that the treatment house my husbands at attends. So it was kinda a surprise when i walked in and saw him. It is amazing how supportive complete strangers are. I also met my husbands sponsor tonite he seems like a really great guy my husband is happy to have him. He gave me his number and told me if i need anything to call which i thought was really nice. It was so nice to be out of the house and have some adult conversation. Even if it meant I had to deal with the inlaws to get it. Im home now and told my inlaws I would appreciate it if they could watch the little monkey 3 nights out of the week so that Im able to go to more meetings. Im just vibing after the meeting it feels so good im actually excited again and it has been along time since that happened I cant believe that im almost on day 14 never thought i could have made it this far it is an awsome feeling to be high on life instead of dope. At this point im quite happy and after the last 14 days I sure deserve these few hours of happiness
Keep strong everybody and go to a meeting it helps
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you Wilson! Glad your first meeting was such a positive experience!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Way to Go Wilson!! So glad you had a positive start with your first meeting!

Trishe: How are you doing?

...Ruby...