Hen House Talk with All Our Friends - part 24

Here is the old thread All are welcome!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-23-a-21.html

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Thanks Amy! I knew we were getting close. Just been too busy watching "Merlin" these past few evenings.

TOD
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dad's short of breath and scared, we're heading to the ER.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

(((Amy))) Hope nothing serious. Positive thoughts and prayers going your way.

TB
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Amy)))will be keeping your dad in prayers tonight. Like (((tb)))said, hope it is nothng serious .
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We're at the waiting stage right now. He was taken straight back. Vitals ore okay though BP was higher than it should have been, since he took 2 BP pills before deciding he was scared enough.

Nurses have been nice to allow me to watch input on the computer. Got my books to study but it's not easy when theirs a scrying baby and 5 family members cussing about the wait time.

I'm hoping this is something that will force him to follow up with his Dr and follow directions.

In yeah, was obviously a bit nervous and couldnt see anything in back of the car as I backed out the driveway and backed into a f'ing tree. Brand new bumper now is crunched on one corner. Dad wa really upset but calmed down.

We're now in the section while waiting on the doctor

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: I know you're going to stick your tongue out at the computer screen when you read this. LOL But! He quit smoking, right?

It would probably help all of ya'lls breathing if ya'll would take it outside. Clean the tar off the ceiling and walls as well. This would also improve the pets health as well since they are living in the house too. Hmmmmmmmmm And you wonder why they always want outside. LOL But seriously. We don't smoke in the main house for just these reasons. We turned this porch into our smoking/entertainment room. We have a fan pulling smoke out of here as well as a fan pushing the smoke towards that fan. And I clean the walls in here a lot. If ya'll can't go outside. Then go to the basement.

I know already! All you nonsmokers or Xsmokers don't need to yell at us smokers about how if we quit it would be better all the way around. I hear it enough from my mom. I'll hear it again tomorrow when she hands me the check for dad's five cartons of cigarettes.

Love ya
TOD
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

will say a prayer for you and your dad.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

I am posted here waitin to hear some new about your dad (((((Amy)))..so sorry about the crunched bumper...

I got off work and straight passed out for a three hour nap..planning on doing some extreme lounging this weekend....I am trying to perfect it to a fine art.

I guess I did not make it real clear about my guy Andrew who died. He was homeless and drunk and died in a seedy hotel so the only real consolation was that we cared about him when he came in.
love norty
Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all. ((TOD)). I understand what you're saying but your oirch has your computers and stuff..if I had my stuff in an enckosed room where I'm not going to burn up or freeze, but we dont have that option. I rarely smoke outside my room, doors closes but i guess the smoke flies out when i do open the doors

J smokes in the den and it permeates the whole house so I do recognize the problem. U

Last time he complained I told him I'd do something about my smoking when he did something about his own health and he shut up. Honestly, his stomach is so huge I don't know how his lungs i can expand. Really cool nurse who DID tell him that stomach was probably that stomach and I was mouthing words behind dad's back of stuff dad won't mention so I really like him

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Making A Difference

There must be something in the water. Umpires wife went to the hospital yesterday with pain in the mid chest area. They are checking to see if it’s a heart problem. Umpire now has a job to help try and keep their house. The kids are getting him to and from work. I’m on standby for him if needed.
I can feel the fibro starting to kick up a little more too.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: I use to have to go outside and smoke BEFORE we made this porch into what it is. Just because you have your door closed doesn't mean squat. Sorry! The vents in your room also carry the smoke all through the house. Stepmom smoking in the den isn't outside either. Just because one person isn't doing anything about HIS health, doesn't make it right for you other three to smoke in the house either.

Sorry for the come back. But you kind of left yourself open to that one. Take a soapy wet dish cloth and wipe it across the walls. You'll see what I'm talking about. I shutter to think of you sitting in your enclosed room smoking with three cats and a small dog sitting in there with you. You are the one responsible for their health. Just because you don't have your computer or TV while you are smoking, doesn't mean you have to be using/watching them while you are smoking!! I use to do w/o all the time. If Jethro or I stopped smoking. The other would have to start going outside to smoke. Sorry to be a finger pointer, but you sort of opened that door for me to make the commit.

Love ya
TOD
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like dad has early congestive heart failure, but unless his labs/EKG are abnormal will get to go home. Doc echoed everything ibe been telling dad, and stressed that his symptoms are showing heart failure and he NEEDS to get a cardiologist.

Guess I'll miss church as I've yet to sleep and am tired.

(((TOD))) I'll try to find a compromise about the smoking. Thats as far as im going to get into it. I appreciate your input, I actually agre, but even if I get better ventilation or try e-cigs, every time I walk out of my room I will be assaulted with stepmom's smoke.

Though he has quit for several years and smoked 4packs/day, mom smoked 1-2, and I lived in it for almost 17 years so I do get it.

I think you forget how little power or say-so at that house

Sorry, I'm just tired and have beern watching dads oxygen saturation..its not bad, its come down from 95 to 92. When he went out to the bathroom I out it on me....98 and 99 (100 is perfect)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Making A Difference

((All) I'm posting this for Amy : Love, love the doctor but not the thrilled with the probable congestive heart failure and he MUST make changes or it's going to get worse.

FIV is checking EKG and lab work and if its okay, we will go home ( he thinks it will be) but if not, we can come home but needs to followup with a cardiologist.

If you're still up, please copy/paste this on the hh
Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: When I lived with my XH. I smoked in the house. I had a small fan sitting on the windowsill to help pull smoke outside. But everything still got covered in smoke and tar. We all know it's a nasty habit and I know I need to quit. It's harder to quit these than the opiates. And having to buy for the two of us. The price is way up there. I could save us almost $400.00 a month if we both quit. But there's for sure a BUT in there! You do need to consider the health of your pets having to sit in your room and breathe it all the time. I had planned on putting the chicken crates in here. But after it got turned into a smoke room. There was no way I was going to make them sit in here with us smoking. It doesn't really affect Martha because of where I have her. The smoke doesn't bother Jethro no where near as bad as it does me. We fight about it all the time. My ashtray smokes way more than I do. I don't sit with a cigarette between my fingers or stuck in the corner of my mouth. Jethro does. When he's sitting in here doing that, the smoke goes upward and towards me. It just chokes me. I start complaining about it and the fight is on. He has a small fan sitting in front of his ashtray to pull the smoke out. But habits are so hard to break.

Well. I better hit the shower and then the bed. Mom and dad are coming over around 12:30 pm to go out to eat and to get dad's cigarettes from me. Cigarettes AGAIN? Lordy!

Hope dad's problem isn't too severe!
Love ya'll
TOD
Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Henpecking??? check yo self...
Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((((Amy)))) Sending my best thoughts to your Dad and you.

I'm home for a few days, been working a lot. Things are pretty sucky but I'll be OK.

Hubs has been using the e-cig some. He says it's alright in a pinch but I don't think he really wants to quit. I'm still smoke free from September 1, 2010!

Sending my love and best thoughts to all the Hen Housers. I really hate February. My dreams are crazy, I'm rehashing and reordering some stuff with my mom I suppose.

Jethro, I have a new, strange maybe fibro thingy. Hot spot on my calf. LOL You ever get those? I've not noticed it before but it was so cold and I was on my feet a lot.

How do people live in such cold? ((((norty)))) I thought my eyeballs were going to freeze! I am sure I had icicles hanging from my tear ducts!

OK, I'm going to try and catch up. Amy, please keep us posted! And do tell your Dad that when Hubs lost 60 pounds, he felt like he could breathe easier and quit snoring! Also, acid reflux was cured! I'm fatter than a fat thing, though. Thyroid stuff is a drag!!

Much love to my hens and roosters! (besitas to TPA to pass along to DIL)

Lenina
Old 02-05-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Okay, in case I come across as a total witch in a minute, I am tired, though amazed that we only had to be there 5 hours. The nurse and doctor were absolutely awesome and said some of the things *I* had told dad. After mentioning what I'd told dad, dad asked him something about what he needed to do and the dr. laughed and said "exactly what SHE has been telling you to do (as he pointed to me), but if you aren't going to listen to what she says, and don't listen to the same stuff from me, you're heart is going to continuously fail".

He has heart damage. The UNTREATED BLOOD PRESSURE ((TOD)) is a large part of it. The big stomach is causing problems, his oxygen saturation dropped to 89 when he fell asleep and the dr. agreed with me that he needs a sleep study along with a full workup by a cardiologist and a colonoscopy because he had colon cancer when he was 42. His feet and legs are swollen up to his knees.

On a selfish point, no one asked me why I left nursing, but were very nice when I explained "he has a habit of leaving out important information" and basically told him he'd been told what to do, it's up to do it.

Now, as far as the smoking in the house. My cats are no longer in here other than maybe an hour or two a day - they've all got other favorite spots. The one time I quit smoking for 3 months? The only place that DIDN'T reek of smoke was my room.

Stepmom will not go outside, and dad won't make her. If I have to walk out of my room to go outside, and walk past her puffing away on the couch? There are going to be some major resentments and it would get extremely ugly all the way around.

Dad stays in the living room and it's actually separated from the den where she lives and isn't nearly as bad..I noticed that when I quit way back when. The one rule she does follow is no smoking in their bedroom.

I have no control of what goes on outside my room. Yes, it's unhealthy and expensive; yes I need to quit but I'm not ready and don't want to end up like dad and weigh 250+ pounds because he's always substituted food for cigarettes.

It was unhealthy the 17 years I live at home and I spent 23 hours in a car driving to MN with them smoking and rarely cracked the window.

If I don't have to pay a fortune to get their car bumper fixed, I will check into one of those things that sucks smoke and other odors out of the air for my room.

I watched my mom suffer, terribly, and die from CHF (congestive heart failure, though hers was caused by childhood rheumatic fever that eventually caused severe heart damage). I am scared, that's just the way I react when anyone has breathing problems - the respiratory therapists were my best buddies when I was a nurse.

I DID mention the second-hand smoke to the doctor and he said, "well, that doesn't help, but your dad's problems are caused by him not doing what he needs to to take care of himself.

So, (((TOD))) - I love you dearly, but I can only do what I can do. You mention stepmom and I need to go outside and you KNOW that woman doesn't get off the couch or out of the bed. Even if she agreed (and she won't) as soon as dad and I are out of the house, she'll do what she's always done.

They are going shopping, later, to stock up on healthy foods and dad did say this has scared him enough he's willing to make the changes. I hope so. I'm going to also start eating healthier. Dad still blames stepmom for having sweets around the house, admits he has a choice of whether to eat them, but if it's here, he'll eat it, so has forbidden her to make any more cakes, cookies, etc. (though he got mad at her 2 nights ago for not making the no-bake chocolate pie he'd bought)

I'm not going to make it to church, as I'd have to get up in 3 hours, and I'm tired.

Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. (((TOD/Jethro))) - thanks for being there when I e-mailed you - much appreciated.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

((((Amy)))). When Hubs was on his diet, he ate mostly steamed veggies and rice. We have a microwave veggie steamer (Sears sells it for about $7) and you can cook frozen veggies in it. It only takes about 5 minutes depending on what you have Grilled chicken is good too, without the skin. If you have Costco, you can get some honking big bags of chicken breasts and also veggies. We like the Asian mix. And it's quick and not much cooking involved really.

You might look online for some heart healthy recipes. I think it helps to plan a menu for a week and post it on the fridge. This way, you know what to pick up at the store and not have to be thinking of something every night. also, you might like to check out the Lean Cuisine. I think it's tasty and Ralph's has it on special fairly often.

Will your Dad consider using Mrs Dash as seasoning rather than salt? I eat a lot of salmon and tuna. Do you have a blender? dad might like smoothies to get his fruit. Use fat free yogurt.

now, you go get some rest. Oh, and I thought it was polite of the staff to not get into why you left nursing. They probably figured burn out. This has happened to a lot of my nurse friends.

So, go get some rest! Much love to you!

Lenina
Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((Lenina))) - I used to have a regular steamer that you could stick all kinds of good stuff in it. It's here..somewhere Dad really doesn't eat salt (except what's in food), unlike me who adds it to everything.

Going to sleep now.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy