Notices

Ativan, anyone take it?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Ativan, anyone take it?

Just prescribed it and want to take it before an interview I dont want to look high anyone else take it before events that can cause anxiety?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have a legit Rx, I'd suggest trying it out before your interview and see how you react.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its quite ok if it is prescribed,but it could make you too relaxed.....sleepy.Be careful you dont use it too often or you will need it for every anxious occasion.
I took them one time.............I got hooked on them for 20 years....they nearly took my life.

Tranqualisers prevent you from experiencing Emotional Growth.You will always feel Nervous when you dont go through an event without sedation.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it's useless to me. You won't look high when you take it, no worries.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't like it - I've taken it in the past and had big memory gaps of what I'd done and said when I did take it. Same thing happened to my stepsister. Apparently, we functioned, we just didn't remember it?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldnt take it before and interview. That stuff hits you hard. They gave me that in the hospital when I was trying to come down off 15mg of xanax and It f'd me up worse then the xanax would.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It seemingly affects everyone Differently.....So be careful.I gave one of them to my Girlfriend when I was taking them....I thought she was going to die....she fell asleep...and I could not wake her for hours.They had not the Same affect on me.....as I was used to taking them.....ie Addicted....High tolerence.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks, I took it I was fine and relaxed. I have taken them before in the hospital. I am rescibed 1 1mg per day but I only want to take it when I need it so I dont gain a dependence to it. I can see why people get addicted it numbs you from negative emotions much like alcohol.l
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

That's good that you don't take the 1mg per day. 1mg is kind of a lot, and since this is a recovery website I should point out the obvious and say drugs like ativan, xanax, etc are real no-nos when trying to be sober.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Ativan is just another benzo. Highly Addictive. Benzos are the worst detox I have ever been through. It took me 30 days to get off of them and feel normal. You are playing with fire. Good luck on your journey. Love and Respect. logo
Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

They are prescribed by a Dr. for anxiety I do not abuse them...You are comparing apples to oranges. You arent a Dr. you cant tell me not to take them bc this is a sober site.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't tell you not to take them. WTH?

But FYI - most anyone can walk into a dr's office an get them to write them a scrip for a benzo like Ativan. It doesn't mean we should.

This is common knowledge among recovering people and even doctors - sorry if you don't want to hear it.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Innerchild View Post
I can see why people get addicted it numbs you from negative emotions much like alcohol.l
Exactly. My old sponsor used to call it booze in a pill.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Its not like booze in a pill to me it just calms my anxiety down if I wanted something storonger I could of asked for xanax. My Dr. and therapist are watching me carefully I see them all the time so since they went to medical school I trust their judgement.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's different for everybody.
I have a prescription & its for half a mg. I'm fine on that. Just make sure not to mix with anything else as it intensifies the relaxed feeling which can turn into sleepy & slurry.

I used to need it at least three times a week so I wouldnt go off the deep end. But working through my problems with a therapist & taking cymbalta daily have fixed me up pretty good! I don't even take ativan anymore unless I fly... MAYBE??

Good luck to you
Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks Whynot. Great post and I am having a hard time not drinking and getting through therapy al lot of bad memories and feelings coming up. I dont take more than prescribed it just makes me feel relaxed but I dont want to get reliant on it but if you can control it it can help a lot short term.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just a FYI on what freethinking mentioned: "booze in a pill".
It's referred to as that because this particular benzo hits the same receptors that alcohol hits. That's just the chemistry of it. Your doctor can explain it in more detail if you care to ask.

Innerchild, you got it right. They can be helpful for short periods of time. Definitely.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Yes, wouldnt want to take them for a long period of time. The inpatient psychiatrist said ativan acts like alcohol I guess its what she meant but I dont feel like I am drunk on it though.