Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

NEW MWMBER HERE: Free of marijuana as of 1/27/2012.

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I'm a 26 year old male from IN, USA. My story is not an unusual one. I have smoked marijuana on a regular basis for the past six years or so, and off and on the few years prior to that. I have tried to quit for a few days on many occasions but ultimately went back to regular use each time. Basically, I'm just wanting to know your experiences with marijuana detox and anything that might have helped you cope with it. What should I expect as the days and weeks progress? I feel determined to quit this time and am very pleased that I have begun to take action. However, I do feel very uncertain about what obstacles may lay ahead of me and don't want to be caught off guard by symptoms and pushed back into smoking because of this. Any words of experience would be greatly appreciated right now. Thanks in advance, everyone!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(sorry for the typo)
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome eyedazzler

I smoked daily for over 20 years...when I quit I was pretty irritable, I had a little insomnia and I was unmotivated and bored for a while...I found after a week I felt better tho.

This is pretty basic but it's a pretty good resource:
http://www.ncpic.org.au/static/pdfs/...s-workbook.pdf

Welcome to SR -you'll find a lot of support here
D

Last edited by Dee74; 01-31-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, and the link! I already read through it, I need all the encouragement I can get right now to keep me positive and focused on my goal. I really haven't spoken to anyone I know about my decision yet. I suppose that will be one of the toughest parts of it, I'll definitely have to avoid certain people at least for a while. I have some good friends but they love getting high, so they likely won't have much understanding when it comes to my choice to quit it. I know that it is something I have to do in order to be truly happy though, so I can't let such things stop me from doing what I must.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Do you know about the Marijuana Anonymous group? We love to have you in NA, but you might want to check them out online, you can read the literature free online too. They have groups in many areas and it's often nice to be able to share support with people we can fully identify with.

Welcome to the boards. MJ was not one of my DOC's so I can't offer any personal experience.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, yesterday (the 1st) was day six for me. I didn't really notice any significant symptoms at all before yesterday. Then suddenly everything seemed to start in. Had really vivid dreams, started the day by waking up in a major sweat, pains in different areas of my body at random times, nausea came and went at random times as well. The worst part though was my irritability. A few times I just wanted to flip out on people, and it didn't take much more than them asking me to repeat myself once. To make matters worse, I got harassed multiple times by friends yesterday who wanted me to go smoke with them. Despite intense temptation to give in, I got through the day still clean. But wow, what a day it was, hope today will be easier!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope so too eyedazzler - keep yourself busy

D
Old 02-02-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The strange thing is that everyone seems to say that the first week or so was the hardest for them. I got through the first 5 days fairly easily.

It is a little discouraging when reading about PAWS as well. Makes me wonder if it could affect me for the rest of my life even if I do stay clean, which, of course, is followed by the thought "is it worth it?".
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I smoked weed almost every day for about 10 years. I quit when I moved to another country and that was key for me - it would have been so much harder without the change in environment....

However...what it did teach me is that in terms of withdrawal symptoms, there was nothing too bad to worry about....I remember the dreams though! Switching back on your ability to dream means some vivid ones, but the nightmarish ones didn't last more than a week. After that point it's actually quite fun to be able to dream again.

Two years on, it's hard to believe how much weed was a part of my life. I remember taking my nephews to a beach and running 50 yards ahead just to have two pulls on a joint....postponing eating when I was low on weed so I didn't shorten my buzz....behaviour that seems so alien now.

I could now get hold of weed / hash very easily in my new country.....and I'm not remotely interested!

My problem now is that I inadvertently replaced it with binge drinking, giving me a whole different problem to solve...but that's another story entirely.

Good luck

Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I smoked weed for 4 years, on average, i'd smoke atleast 10-15 times a day, every two hours basically, Every time I lit up a cigarette. I also drank at night too, a 6 pack or more, every night. When I quit all three at once, I went into psychosis, had to be admitted into a psych ward for a couple days, had alot of hallucinations, heard voices and seen images on TV that weren't really there, ALOT of messed up stuff, that went on for three or so weeks, after that things started to mellow out somewhat, but for the past 7 months of being clean, it's been a battle to stay sober. Depression has kicked in alot and I have a very high stress job ( McDonalds Management ) that demands alot of emotional and mental stress. Almost every day I still get a craving of one of the three drugs of choice I used. But the cravings have gotten weaker and weaker.

I sometimes wake up now in the morning, with little motivation, I have to get myself out of bed, where as in the past I loved to get up and smoke a cigarette or take a couple big bong rips. I guess this rut will go away with time.

In that 4 year period of drug abuse, I had ended up quitting marijuana a couple times, but only because of financial difficulty buying weed to fuel my constant daily use. During those times I didn't go crazy, but I did end up smoking and drinking more. I do attribute psychosis to quitting marijuana.

As lame is it sounds, todays weed is really much much much much more potent than the weed of yesterday. The Schwag of today would be the Cronic of yesterday. You would never hear of people having panic attacks and delerium smoking weed in the 70's. Today these cases are much more prevelant. Weed has been engineered and manufactured to deliver a huge dose of THC to the brain.

Two over the counter suppliments I've lived by over the past 7 months is Melatonin and L-Tyrosine. When you smoke weed, your brain produces ALOT of Seratonin and the waste or finished product of seratonin is melatonin. This is why you get real HIGH and excited when you first smoke weed, and after about 15-20 minutes you start getting really hungry, tired, mellow, and sleepy, it's because Seratonin levels were really high, and then melatonin levels were really high after. Your body has gotten so used to huge amounts of both of the chemicals, now you aren't getting them on command ( via weed smoking ) and this is what causes alot of disturbances in sleep, and mood when quitting weed. I started taking 5mg of Melatonin at night, an hour before bed, and I slept like a baby, and felt better the next morning.

L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that helps your body build three stores of depleted neurotransmitters. Dopamine, Seratonin, and Norapenephrin (which is basically adrenaline). Smoking weed not only causes the adrenals to be stimulated, but it burns them out! When I smoked weed 10 - 15 times a day, I really wasn't getting that high off the weed, I was becoming an adrenaline junkie and burning out my adrenals for 4 years. This suppliment I've only been taking during the last 2 weeks of my 7 month sobriety, and the day I started taking it i've felt a HUGE difference.

The third thing I can reccomend to you more than anything is Jesus. I wouldn't have had a desire to quit my addictions without Him. He can set you free and change the way you feel and think about drugs (and life). Get yourself a bible and read it at night, it's not only the best insight that you can get in life, but it's the way of life.

Trust me, I still have a desire to escape, to smoke, to drink, to do all these things, and the only reason I dont is because I do it in honor of God. I've been cleaned from ALL addictions, most addicts will just turn from one addiction to another addiction (alcoholics to smokers, smokers to alcohol, alcoholics to caffiene, weed smokers to alcohol, pill-heads to alcoholics).

Obviously it's easy to want to quit when you're a slave to these substances, but STAYING clean is a whole differen't game

A Drug is a drug is a drug. I think that weed, and cigarettes, and alcohol are so easily abused and the hardest drugs to quit, mainly because they're the MOST SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE.

Anyways, stay strong bro, it takes intense will power to remain clean, don't ever go back, just make it an ultimatum. don't EVER go back!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been smoking weed for 13+ years. I would smoke up 4-5 days during the week. The following is my journal :

Day 1:
-Extremely tired
-No focus or ambition
-problems sleeping
-clumsy
-problems with speech
-short term memory loss

Day 2:
-Mood swings
-Angry
-problems with speech
-short term memory loss