Notices

trying to quit percocet

Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to quit percocet

Hey all just looking for any tips or some help for quitting percocet.. I take about 60 mg a day and I really want to get off them. I want to go cold turkey but is there anything that will help me from the flu like symptoms. and how long will they last for? I know i feel achey and just sore all over it's horrible. I also thought about just cutting back a little too any help please?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I heard vitamin C is pretty helpful I'm not sure if that is a myth or not
Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No real way to get past feeling that way for about 2 weeks unfortunately. I have experienced withdrawals more than a few times and it just sucks. The only real way to do it is to go through it a never use again. Easier said that done though! If you can be successful with tapering I would go that route under a doctors supervision. I tried that route as well, but always talked myself out of that and said next time since I would rather have the high then waste a pill. You could do the suboxone route, just know you will have to withdraw from those as well. Honestly, if you can just nest in your house, drink tons of fluids, watch happy movies, exercise when you are able, and attend NA regularly you would be best off. I have taken every type of narcotic and many milligrams for the past 5 years. I recently was clean 63 days then my back went out. I am on 40mgs a day but my husband has the pills. I am scared out of my mind to go back down that road.
This disease is brutal, but it can be subsided. Stay here for support there are so many sportive people who are proof that being sober is a much better life. I notice there are so many people who post on here looking for a fast way to quit. Just think about how those pills are deep in our bodies and take a whole to get out. If I could I would do anything to go back to when I was 20 and took my first pill. I loved the feeling and had no idea 13 years later I would be in this position. The really depressing part is my back is beyond repai without surgery but I live in a foreign country with poor insurance. And don't trust even getting surgery done. Don't mean to make this about me, just sharing how we all have reason we use them. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing? I say flush them if you can and quit! In two weeks you will be feeling good and be very proud of yourself. I feel like a hypocrite even writing this since I am on pills now. But I do know I will not take one if I put my mind to it once I can walk normal and not roll out of bed!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sorry about your back. my mother is in the same situation with her back. cannot have surgery and cannot live without pills because of it. she can't do really anything without constant pain.. i know how that is it is not good at all..I appreciate you taking the time to speak up on this forum. and yes I will be on here. and i shall do my best to get off them
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone is different but for me it was to much for me. A controlled wean is a whole lot better if you can handle it. My wean was to rapid so I went to a detox facility for a week. I needed support, some don't.

They don't like us telling someone what to do cause it's truly your road only you can pick.

But if you ever want to talk feel free to p.m. Me but I'm only day 9 clean. Trust me it's fresh in my head
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went cold turkey about two and a half weeks ago and it was one of the hardest things ive ever done.... Very few things helped significantly, but some helped enough to notice

-for the leg pain and restleness i got some potassium/magnesium supplements and did as much exercise as i could bear. Also HOT baths are good for as long as you can stay comfortable.

-showers frequently help with the sweats that leave you feeling nasty

I didnt have anything prescription wise for anxiety until I talked to my dr., but there are supplements for mood and sleep like samE and 5htp also l tyrosine.

I needed to keep my mind busy so music and crappy tv was what helped me through the crazy situations my mind produced.

I used icy hot for my legs frequently and took aspirin as directed by the bottle. The worst part of it was the third and fourth day where I felt like I was going to die.

Good luck and stay with your thread, it helps
Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on having the will to quit, that is the first and hardest step for some. I have tried several ways to quit with none sticking out as the best way or by any means easy. The only thing that I want you to get from my post is make sure you quit! I am in a place now that I have been trying to quit for over 10 years, I have made it a sick pattern, it disgusts me thinking about it. I was where you were at many years ago and wish someone would have grabbed me and told me my options, which are, quit now, and do whatever that takes, or go the next 10 years making half ass attempts at quitting only to find yourself 10 years older having wasted a huge part of your life that you can't get back. The bottom line is do whatever it takes now, even if it is painful, because the pain is gonna be there whether you do it now or in 10 years, it's up to you whether you want to add the pain of wasting 10 years of your life on top of it.

Good luck, this site is a huge help, you are not alone, and you are not the first person to go through this, don't forget that, and don't be too hard on yourself, it's not gonna be easy.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone.. very useful information and i really appreciate the help. still haven't begun to even try to stop yet. but i know my time is soon where i am going to give it my all to stop. i will keep in touch on here.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Pure! Welcome to SR. All I can really say is that to quit, you have to want to quit. Whether that is hitting your bottom or saying no more, I am done is really up to you. If you can do a taper - great for you. Most addicts can't, because if you have pills and you feel like crap, why wouldn't you just take one to feel better. If you go the taper route, somebody needs to hold your pills for you. Most people, like me, just jump and go cold turkey. If this is the route you choose, I can say that you are going to feel awful for a week or two. The w/d's will come and go. With days 3 and 4 being the worst, because your mind will be telling you, take a pill and this will all go away. You have to go through that to get to the other side.

Somethings that might help with the w/d's: hot showers when you have the chills and can't warm up. Talking to friends/family and being honest with what you are going through. Getting out of the house, keep yourself busy! Watching TV/movies and realizing that you actually laugh at the stupidest stuff. Ibuprofen for muscle aches. And most importantly, remembering that you how you feel is temporary and that you will make it through this.

You have to decide for yourself that you are done. Nobody else can make that decision for you.

Keep posting, you will find lots of support on here, we have all been in the same position.