Notices

Percocet withdrawal help

Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Percocet withdrawal help

I do 30 mg of perc/oxycodone a day. It doesn't seem like much, but I need advice getting off of it. I am not going to a doctor, and I could use advice to make going cold turkey more bareable. I am so pissed I have let myself get into this kind of situation. I need help to just finally quit. It is a waste of money, and I feel somewhat trapped. Thank you for your time and support. Without places like this I would not know where to turn.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.com. You've come to the right place

My best guess is that kicking off of 30mg/day is not likely to be especially terrible. I used to do 240mg/day OC for years. I didn't kick off that level (and wouldn't if I could avoid it) but people here HAVE, that much I know for sure. So based on this observation, it would APPEAR as though quitting at 30mg/day is, in theory, 'doable'.

Now, don't let your addict brain get ahead of you and say 'well, Tillman, YOU must not have that big a problem', cause I'm not saying that at all.

And unfortunately although I know a great deal about dealing with withdrawals, I'm not permitted to offer anything resembling medical advice here, so you'll have to go elsewhere to look up 'detox recipes' or whatnot ... given that you've stated that you're refusing to see a doctor ... which is where I've gotten my detox meds in the past.

So ... good luck with that part, and keep coming back!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't really know what works for different people, but I was at least doing that amount of percs and oc's.....then went to suboxone. I have been off everything for over a month now. The subs are harder to kick than anything else IMO.
The main thing I was facing was holding my job through the sickness, I was lucky to get laid off right at the time I decided to quit. I'm still laid off, and I'd like to get more time down....my energy levels are pretty low at times, but I've been hiking alot (which seems to help with the anxiety/ racing head). I don't mean to sound negative, if I had read this post yesterday and responded it would've been so much more positive. good luck to you.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have a recipe to quit or any secret that you can't find anywhere online when it comes to dealing with withdrawals, but I do have my past experience and I hope that you can listen and learn from it and not go down the same road that I did. You are only doing 30 mg a day, that could be looked at as a lot or a little, depending on perspective, I did 10-20 mg a couple times a week for years and years, and I never thought I had a problem, then I started doing 30, 60, 90 mg a day, it progressed over the years to an amount that I am not proud of. You need to take this seriously and stop the problem now! You are obviously concerned and are smart enough to recognize that you have a problem, you will look back at this time down the road and it can go only one of two ways, I know that sounds extreme but I speak only from experience, one, you will say that you took the problem seriously, you went through the wd's and took your recovery seriously, you did WHATEVER it takes to stay sober, I know that too sounds extreme but it is true, it needs to be the most important thing in your life. Or you do what a lot of addicts do, you might kick it for a little bit, but it will come back, you become a slave to your addiction, you lose everything and you become a person that isn't really you, you make your addiction the most important thing in your life, this isn't a choice you will make, this is what is next if you don't choose to make recovery your priority.

I am not trying to scare you, or maybe I am, I just wish that someone would have told me what was to come when I was at your stage, trying to get off of 30 mg a day, you should be able to get off of that amount with minimal discomfort, I say minimal because it is still going to suck, it won't be easy, it will probably feel like the hardest thing that you have ever done in your life. It is worth it, I promise that one way or another you will need to find a way to live sober, whether it is now or 20 years from now, take the easier of the two routes and get there now, don't go down the road that many of us have, take care of your problem now and don't go down that road.

Best of luck to you, I too still struggle with addiction, I thought I had it under control for years and years, now here I am, been using oxy for 11 years and looking for a way out, it's not easy, I just know that I wish that I would have dealt with the problem when I realized that it was becoming a problem, rather then trying to fix it for the next 40% of my life.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tillman. I stopped taking 40 mg of oxys a day and let me tell you, it eff'ing sucked! I had withdrawals for about 2 weeks. This is week 3 for me and I am finally starting to feel better. It is really hard, but you can do it!

Making c/t more bearable? Lots of liquids, lots of movies, and lots of rest. I couldn't get out of bed for the 1st week. But after the 1st week, moving and joining the world got a bit easier.

Good luck and keep telling yourself that this will get better.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would suggest telling a doctor, if you truly want to kick it. I came clean to my doctor and she prescribed me tramadol ( I know some people don't like it) and I have not suffered any w/d at all. My habit was about the same as yours- vicodin. My doc gave me the tramadol for pain. I know some people say it's addictive, but for me, it's not. IMHO, nothing can substitute for a supportive doctor.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My experience was much like Ryan's, and I 100% vehemently agreed with EVERYTHING he just said. Well done mate!

Tillman, read what he said. Over and over if you have to. There is but two roads ... choose the former in his description, or you will end up really, really sorry you didn't.

Don't be me, and don't be Ryan. You don't have to, we've done 'the research' for you ... rather, choose to be 'wise' ... by learning from our mistakes.