Notices

Back Again, New name NEW CONCERNS

Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again, New name NEW CONCERNS

Back in October I found this forum. You all have been spectacular in finding me resources to get into detox and become clean.
First and foremost I want to thank you guys as quality of life with my family has improved.

Although I went into detox and I try to attend some of the Washington DC and Dulles corridor NA meetings. I still haven't committed the whole way as of getting a sponsor and attending a 90 recovery.

I have been clean (technically and I'll explain) I trust myself not to abuse anything and I can drive around town without thinking even once about an opiate.

Here is my issue: Recently I've been having stomach troubles as a complication of my Type 1 Diabetes. I was in a whole lot of pain. I told the doctors I was a recovering addict and was worried. The doctors were more scared my blood pressure was up to 200/111 with a bpm of 101 from the pain in my gut.
Since 1/12/12 I've been on dilaudid 8MG every 6 hours. I'm on my last two today 1/23/12 and I've split one into halfs and the other into quaters in attempt to ween down.

I'm scared I'm going to get sick. I didnt take more than I was supposed to and I followed the instruction to a T. I was convinced I'd be OK and at worse might have some trouble sleeping.
Today I missed a dose and just went to sleep. I wake up 12 hours later feeling like I need to throw up and drenched in sweat.
Now it has me thinking I am addicted again. It could have just been my diabetes I DID sleep for 12 hours and in the time I did not eat anything.

What do you guys think? for 10 days on dilaudid 8mg every 6 hours
Should I be dope sick?
I followed the doctors instructions, so I should be ok, right?
Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bump.
Anyone?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kedakari
it's the down time on the forums right now.

I really think you need to ask your doctor why this happened - the best any of us can do here is guess, y'know?

D
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Kedakari
it's the down time on the forums right now.

I really think you need to ask your doctor why this happened - the best any of us can do here is guess, y'know?

D
You're right I need to talk to the doctor, and I will. I just want to know if I'm going to width drawl from what I've been on already or not.

I just want to cross off anything that would make me sick like that so I can focus on the problem. -sigh- I'm so afraid of being sick and you can tell.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah - do get some professional input.
Hope you get some answers

D
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Sorry K, don't have any experience with that. Absolutely think you should talk to your dr and get it sorted out.

But I DO have experience with getting clean and then having to take something for medical reasons. SO WHOOT WHOOT to you on sticking strictly to the program. That's awesome.

I think an experience like that helps us build some confidence in our commitment to recovery.

But my bugaboo was that I held onto the rest of the Rx that I hadn't used..."just in case" you know?

That was a real bad and stupid idea. If you have any extras, get rid of them. That shows an even greater commitment to your own recovery.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Sorry K, don't have any experience with that. Absolutely think you should talk to your dr and get it sorted out.

But I DO have experience with getting clean and then having to take something for medical reasons. SO WHOOT WHOOT to you on sticking strictly to the program. That's awesome.

I think an experience like that helps us build some confidence in our commitment to recovery.
K, congratulations. you should have no qualms about talking to your doc- you stuck with the plan and did a great job. Call your doc ASAP! Then check in with us.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

BTW, I'm not saying DON'T call your doctor, I'm saying YOU are the best judge of whether or not you're feeling dopesick. All he's going to be able to tell you is 'yes, it's possible you are', run down a list of symptoms (that you should already know like the back of your hand) and ask if you have them.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks bval, thats pretty much the answer I needed. The Doctor who prescribed it basically gave me the "You're an addicts, you should have known better" line. Then followed by "If it gets bad enough you know who to call."
I kind of suspected that since I did goto the hospital with no insurance.

No worries, burnt out doctors dont upset me. I'm not going to get sick and run to any dope dealers. I can handle a few restless nights.

I can see no one wants to give advice on this because diabetes is a serious thing to deal with. Even with no insurance right now I stay on top of my diabetes like a tiger.
My other meds should help keep the wds to a minimum. Phenergan for upset stomach and another called Vistaril that also helps with nausa and anxiety.

I came on here at one of those late moments when you sit at night thinking too much. I came here because this was the place to find help the last time I was pinned against a wall and you guys were great. I'm just seeking experience from others who have been there, because lets face it, I've been through state run detox programs and delt with all sorts of doctors and anyone who has given me any advice worth listening to has been the other people addicted and trying to recover.
I cant remember my old name on here, I doubt it really matters.

The last time I was here, I was facing homelessness, my family hated me and I had nothing going for me.
Since then I've applied for medicaid, Disability, and for other assistance. I learned a lot more about my diabetes and how to manage it better. Best of all I havent spent a single red cent on dope. I havent even smoked marijuana or touched a drink. My family trusts me and best of all I trust myself.
If it wasnt for any of you guys I'd be dead right now. I was too scared to look on my own out of fear of judgement, but once I found help that fear was gone.
Thanks, this forum saved more than just my life, but my family's life too.
I'll always be an addict, but at least I'm a thankful recovering addict and I know my addiction wont kill me now that I have help.