Notices

Where to go?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to go?

My daughter is a 25 year old heroin addict. Been in 4-5 short stint detoxes over past 2 years but always relapses. Can't stick with an IOP. We have health insurance but it has crazy limits for detox and zero benefits for long term rehab. She also does not qualify for our state's health plan because "she made too much money LAST year"--- anything over $3,000 per year is too much money. So we are stuck in the middle. I can't afford to pay out of pocket and she can't qualify for free care. And she wants the care She knows she needs long term inpatient care to fully recover. Her life is out of control and she is bringing me down with her--stealing money from me, lying etc What do we do?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TLyman View Post
My daughter is a 25 year old heroin addict. Been in 4-5 short stint detoxes over past 2 years but always relapses. Can't stick with an IOP. We have health insurance but it has crazy limits for detox and zero benefits for long term rehab. She also does not qualify for our state's health plan because "she made too much money LAST year"--- anything over $3,000 per year is too much money. So we are stuck in the middle. I can't afford to pay out of pocket and she can't qualify for free care. And she wants the care She knows she needs long term inpatient care to fully recover. Her life is out of control and she is bringing me down with her--stealing money from me, lying etc What do we do?
Listen, there is nothing you can do. This is her life and if she makes the choice to use drugs then that's up to her. Let me tell you, as an recovering addict, I am VERY resourceful. If I want something, believe me, I know where to find it. That included help.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response but what I am trying to say is that she WANTS the help but because of her insurance restrictions--she can't get the help she needs and we can't afford to pay out of pocket. I know everyone says "Help is out there if you want it". Sure it is, if you can afford it, or if you are on a state health plan, but if you're in the middle, you fall thru the cracks. Trust me, we have called almost 40 places.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi TLyman,

I am sorry for all that you are going through with your daughter. I don't have much experience in this... but my suggestion would be to bite the bullet and pay for the help that she needs, if that is what she REALLY wants. You can't put a price on a life, and after all... it is just money. My motto has always been, if it needs to be done and a life is a stake, pay the money, even if out of pocket and deal with the bills later. I wish you the best of luck. I am an ex oxy user, so I can't even imagine being addicted to herion.

Good luck!! The help is really out there if you need it, unfourtunately, it may cost more money than you have. But in the grand sceme of things, what is more important, money or your daughters life??
Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The other responses are valid, but maybe you can check into a halfway house or salvation army type program. There are some cheaper options out there. I went around in circles for years. Several stints in rehab, inpatient, outpatient, and more detoxes than I care to count (some in hospitals and some in hotel rooms). I was spending $250 a day at my worst and I was sure I was going to die out there.

I finally got into a not for profit halfway house which had intensive programs in the evenings (and you had to hold down a job during the day). Maybe not the best for some, but with 3 kids I couldn't take another 6 months out of my life (although that might have been best). More expensive doesn't always mean better. I am not sure why it seems to have stuck this time. Eventually if you don't die out there the drug finally takes every last ounce of your integrity and you throw up your arms and say I give up. I hope your daughter finds her way.