Notices

day 4 off my effexor

Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4 off my effexor

Okay, so I have read that the withdrawals can be super intense from effexor. The first two days were absolute hell for me! I cried about any little thing, super irritable, achy, horrible sleep and nightmares, thought I was going to die. The only side effect that I have now is the "brain zaps" and still some insomnia. Anyone else know how long this **** is gonna last? Im over it!!! The brain zap feeling is just annoying me so much! And I am a mom of 2 children under age 6 so sleep is something that I do not like to sacrifice! haha
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is my understanding that all antidepressants should be tapered over a period of time, and slowly at that.

Are you quitting Effexor under doctor supervision?

Please tread carefully.

This addict made a really bad doctor when prescribing what was best for me (or so I thought).
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
The w/d from effexor was pure hell for me too. It was many years ago but I certainly still remember. The brain zaps...ugh...jolts out of nowhere. My doctor had me tapering mere granules at a time from the capsule. I would definitely talk to your doctor. It's a tough one for sure...good news is it won't last forever even when it sure seems like it is. Hang in there.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I've never withdrawn from effexor, but I've withdrawn from other SSRI's to "take a break".

It's not fun, even if you do it slowly, but if you do it fast, it's hell. I hope you are tapering as that is really the recommended way to go about it.

The last time I did it, it took me 6 weeks to taper off.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes its under doctor supervision, but she has me doing it cold turkey! Ugh it sucks! Withdrawl symptoms have calmed down a lot but the difficulty with sleep is still really really bad. I'm exhausted!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Did she explain to you why she is having you do this cold turkey? If it were me, I would want to know.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

The withdrawl from effexor is horrible! It was over 5 years ago for me and I still remember it clearly! I think it lasted about 7 days. There is an end to it...I promise!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I tried getting off Effexor cold turkey but couldn't manage. I went back to my doc and she prescribed a small dosage of Prozac to take as needed, when withdrawal symptoms happened, and it worked like a charm.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know if I want to ever get off effexor to be honest it has been a wonder drug for me. I was lying in bed, agoraphobic, anxious, panicked and this great drug has been a real life giver for me. I'm on 300mg I think that may be the max dose or a little over it has given me peace of mind and I am now able to be myself in this world where I was beaten down with depression and anxiety I'm never going back to that so I'm sticking to it. Been on it now for 2 years now.

Hope the withdrawals get easier for you. I could just imagine.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I agree checkmate...Effexor was a very effective drug for me. I took it for a long time too. Once I decided to get off though the withdrawls were not pretty and that's an understatement.

Hope you are feeling better JillGeorges...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh no. I remember the brain zaps from effexor.
I went off cold turkey and nearly ended up in a psych ward. Please be careful doing this. If I had more info I would have tapered off but I made it ok.

Here's a link to a harm reduction in getting off psych meds that might help:

Harm Reduction Guide To Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs & Withdrawal | The Icarus Project

http://theicarusproject.net/download...e1Edonline.pdf
Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

WHY ON EARTH is your doctor having you go off it cold turkey????????

In my opinion, Effexor has the worst withdrawal out there hands down....enough to make you feel like you are going crazy. I still cant get over any doctor in their right mind would not WEAN you off of this stuff.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When my doctor tapered me off Effexor, she did just that. Tapered me, not cold turkey. It's too dangerous.