Notices

Old, Not So Far Away Drug Buddies

Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Old, Not So Far Away Drug Buddies

Hi everyone. So, I'm trying to kick the cocaine habit (again, after a massive epiphany on the 13th), but I am having some difficulties. I'm doing relatively well with the craving aspect of it, but the people I used to use with are around all the time.

My husband and I both gave up coke, and he made it very clear to them to stay away from us, but here's the problem; they both work with us. One of them is my husband's Lead Hand, and the other is a co-worker of mine. Since our decision to quit, news of my horrible relapse quickly spread through the workplace, and they're bothering my husband, making snide remarks, like little kids.

Normally, I would have had them on the ground so fast that their heads wouldn't have time to spin, but I want to handle this with as little drama as possible. What am I supposed to do? The Lead Hand is friends with my own boss, and the other co-worker is friends with the Lead Hand. What should I do to defuse this?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Trying to control other people, places and things never worked out for me; the efforts were futile and the results were laden with harm or resentments. However, as a general rule, it can be harmful and unwise to be around active users if one has not yet recovered from our seemingly hopeless condition of mind and body, is in fit spiritual condition and has a good reason for being there. On the other hand, when we get well, life becomes more free than it has ever been.

If you're an addict like me, you might want to consider that the bigger picture question is, are you truly done? Because as much as I tried to manage my addiction on my own, I always wound up back at the drugs.

The only thing that freed me from the cycle and frankly revolutionized my life out of the spiritual death I had been leading through my addiction was finding a program of recovery and committing to the work as if my life depended on it, because it does.

I am very glad you're reaching out, and I'm sending my very best wishes to you on your journey.