Notices

Just checking in...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in...

35 days opiate free today. Man does it get easier. Taste, smells, emotions, relationships, daily tasks, etc....To those struggling, I'll just say stick with it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Just my humble opinion.

This time around, doing meetings a few times a week are helping me infinitely. I had always stayed away from that....bad choice on my part.

I've tried, "doing it on my own" -- I'm sure some can and will, but if by chance you *think* you can't? Reach out. What's the worst that can happen?

Thx for listening, good luck to all. This addiction thing is a *****.

J~
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 35 days. Wow, your post really gives me hope. I am on Day 8 and I really really needed to hear that it gets easier.

Dees
Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats!! very proud of you!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Bear))) - Congratulations on 35 days!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 35 days!! Way to go, and you are right, it only gets better.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi,
Great job!!!!!!!
Keep on going, as everyone said it does get easier, be PROUD......
Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

7 CONGRATS!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Bless your great attitude and your will to help others. These are life saving, life changing qualities as I've seen and experienced them.

I noticed you talked about opiate-free and wondered if you're clean or using other substances?

Just remember, meetings are the doorway -- the steps are the keys to the kingdom!

Trust in the process - it really works.

Big hugs, lots of hope and much love to you.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Luweez

Oh does 35 days seem so far away but within reach
Congratulations, you have reached a big milestone
Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dees View Post
Congrats on your 35 days. Wow, your post really gives me hope. I am on Day 8 and I really really needed to hear that it gets easier.

Dees

I promise it does. At day 8 I was a ******* mess. Just a ridiculous mess physically, emotionally, etc....

a lot has changed already. in no way am i "cured" or anything like that and i still have a lot of work ahead, but i can't even explain the difference. it's unbelievable.

i'm hopeful and dare i say, happy again for the first time in a very long time. like a fog has been lifted and in that fog was pain, suffering, depression, self-loathing, etc...

i'm rambling, but maybe you'll understand.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((Bear)) Thank you, that means so much to me.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Bless your great attitude and your will to help others. These are life saving, life changing qualities as I've seen and experienced them.

I noticed you talked about opiate-free and wondered if you're clean or using other substances?

Just remember, meetings are the doorway -- the steps are the keys to the kingdom!

Trust in the process - it really works.

Big hugs, lots of hope and much love to you.

I'm on no drugs, no medications, nothing. my doc had me on a benzo taper to help with the WD's, but that's done. I kicked that ahead of her schedule. (it was 1-2 mg a day...not that big)

i'll admit i had two beers while out with some friends sat, but booze is next in the lineup. i wanted to quit drugs first and foremost as i don't drink much anymore, but i'm aware that i should quit or i may try to replace the opiate/drug feelings...(not that it matters, but those were the only two drinks i've had since NYE.

one step at a time.

By the way, thank you all! I don't post much, but I do read here when I get a chance, not at work, meetings, etc....it does help when my brain tries to trick me into thinking, "you're good, just one last time" --- i just may have wised up a bit to that. no chance that can happen anymore. just can't.

thx for listening

J~
Old 01-18-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by Bear19 View Post
I'm on no drugs, no medications, nothing. my doc had me on a benzo taper to help with the WD's, but that's done. I kicked that ahead of her schedule. (it was 1-2 mg a day...not that big)

i'll admit i had two beers while out with some friends sat, but booze is next in the lineup. i wanted to quit drugs first and foremost as i don't drink much anymore, but i'm aware that i should quit or i may try to replace the opiate/drug feelings...(not that it matters, but those were the only two drinks i've had since NYE.

one step at a time.

By the way, thank you all! I don't post much, but I do read here when I get a chance, not at work, meetings, etc....it does help when my brain tries to trick me into thinking, "you're good, just one last time" --- i just may have wised up a bit to that. no chance that can happen anymore. just can't.

thx for listening

J~
Hi Bear,

I'm entirely encouraging of your efforts and all the good you're doing. It's not easy, just worth it!

However, one thing that was critical for me to learn in recovery is that alcohol is a drug. The overwhelming collective experience shows that total abstinence is a necessary foundation for addicts in recovery from this deadly disease.

It's why I talk about being clean / sober, rather than being just opiate-free, which is a term I've seen become quite popular on this board, although I must admit I've never known a single face to face recovered addict face use the term, despite successful experience with various fellowships across several countries and intensive work with addicts and alcoholics from around the world.

As a general thought, for addicts like me, it sounds to me like a term supported by an addict mind keeping back doors and reservations. I say this is a critical distinction because my experience shows me that all mind-altering, mood-changing chemicals have the ability to keep the addict mind unarrested.

It sounds like you're on the beginning of a true journey, and I cannot say enough good things about how important, magnificent and life saving I know this to be. Keep going! Keep going!

I am sending lots of support, best wishes, endless hope and lots of cheers.

If you ever have any questions about sponsorship or the steps, I'd be happy to help at anytime.

Much love and encouragement to you!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Hi Bear,

I'm entirely encouraging of your efforts and all the good you're doing. It's not easy, just worth it!

However, one thing that was critical for me to learn in recovery is that alcohol is a drug. The overwhelming collective experience shows that total abstinence is a necessary foundation for addicts in recovery from this deadly disease.

It's why I talk about being clean / sober, rather than being just opiate-free, which is a term I've seen become quite popular on this board, although I must admit I've never known a single face to face recovered addict face use the term, despite successful experience with various fellowships across several countries and intensive work with addicts and alcoholics from around the world.

As a general thought, for addicts like me, it sounds to me like a term supported by an addict mind keeping back doors and reservations. I say this is a critical distinction because my experience shows me that all mind-altering, mood-changing chemicals have the ability to keep the addict mind unarrested.

It sounds like you're on the beginning of a true journey, and I cannot say enough good things about how important, magnificent and life saving I know this to be. Keep going! Keep going!

I am sending lots of support, best wishes, endless hope and lots of cheers.

If you ever have any questions about sponsorship or the steps, I'd be happy to help at anytime.

Much love and encouragement to you!

Thank you. I truly appreciate the encouragement. I definitely KNOW alcohol is a drug too. I am prepping myself to close that door as well, but the idea of quitting opiates>benzos>alcohol all at once gave me nightmares and seemed like too tall of an order. baby steps. so I gave myself a little time to fully get there. And getting there I am...I just know it takes time, but I am willing.

To be opiate & benzo free for me is an incredible accomplishment and I know, no matter how little alcohol i may use, it can hinder that accomplishment so I will get serious about that...hopefully sooner than later.

That said, I feel phenomenal today...I haven't and won't pick up TODAY. for that I am hopeful, happy, prideful even.

37 days ago I was in the darkest of dark rooms with one way out. Somehow I slipped through that small window and I'm working towards recovery. Long way to go....and that's ok.

Thank you again, I appreciate the knowledge and kind words.

J~