Introduction

Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd give a brief introduction. I'm not sure if this is the right place or not.

I'm a 40 year old male and have been drinking since around age 13. I'm mostly just a weekend drinker, binging every weekend night to feel drunk and feel "good", and like most binge drinkers, I often do stupid things when I'm drunk that I regret the next day.

Thank God, I've never lost a job, been arrested, or got a DUI for drinking - though too many times I've driven when I shouldn't have. But I've done many stupid things while drunk and have often feel great regret and shame.

I've been trying to quit drinking off and on for a long time, then I tried moderation (which didn't work for me). I really want to quit drinking once and for all; I hate the harm that drinking does to me and my family. I'm too old for this cr*p.

Of the methods I've come across, AVRT seems to offer the best possibility for me and my plan is to again give it a try.

I'm glad I found this forum to discuss AVRT; I previously had joined the Rational Recovery forum but it wasn't a very active forum (probably because they charge money) and I found the moderator to be harsh. She would claim every choice in your life is based on supporting the Beast (where you live, who you married, where you work, etc) and anytime you asked a question, the answer was inevitably "What are your plans for the future use of alcohol?" Yes, maybe their is validity in the hardline approach, but I was hoping to find a place where I could openly discuss AVRT and get advice. Who knows, maybe I'll give it another try at some point.

Mark
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Mark,

Terminally Unique will probably email you some links.

Personally, I've been to a 12 step program a long time ago, and it just was not for me. I am intensely private, despite the face I wear on SR. My recovery is mine and mine alone, and I promote the concept of self determination in everyone I try to help on this forum.

Check out the AVRT thread. It isn't a place to bash AA, which I don't hear you trying to do anyway, and it is a good place to ask questions and get input about how to apply AVRT.

I quit alcohol on my own a long time ago, using the AVRT type approach. I recently (a year ago) did the same after a brief stint with opiates.

I hope this works for you. It is really not at all complicated, which is one of the things I love most about it.

Welcome here.

FT
Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Mark,

You may want to read through the AVRT threads on here, since we do discuss some nuances. While I try to keep it in the spirit of AVRT, the tenor and approach is certainly more "soft" than what you would find at the RR forums. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it is different. I look forward to your input.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to the secular side of SoberRecovery Mark. I hope you find the help you need.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

so...what are your plans for your future use of alcohol?

sorry... I couldn't resist

welcome to this part of SR Cocteau - I think you'll find the mods here fair and approachable

D
Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
so...what are your plans for your future use of alcohol?

sorry... I couldn't resist

welcome to this part of SR Cocteau - I think you'll find the mods here fair and approachable

D
I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.

Now I just need to solidify my Big Plan.