Notices

Dope Sick

Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Dope Sick

You're probably thinking this is about me being dope sick.
That is not the case at all.
Though I feel like I am when I listen to her talk.

Brief intro to topic: I am in a program called Drug Court we have in Michigan. I am not sure if other states have this program available to addicts that have gotten themselves in trouble with the law. But we are typically first time offenders and got into trouble due to drugs.We get dropped, go to therapy, have a requirement of twelve-step meetings we have to go to. If we mess up, or do something wrong, for instance, drop dirty or miss a meeting, we get sanctioned. That could be jail time, more twelve-step meetings, residential treatment, etc. Throughout DC (drug court) we become friends with other members. We go to meetings, have group therapy and so forth. We form relationships just like any other treatment programs out there.

I have become very close with some of the people in the program. Her boyfriend had a heart attack ( at 32 it runs in his family) and he was put on morphine at the hospital and some other narcotics, after being clean for ten months or longer off Alcohol and drugs. He started using. She would talk in group about how its triggering her and so forth because she lives with him as well. Well to get to the point, he continued using, and eventually she started using again. And has been for about three and a half weeks. Then I find out today, she and another girl in our program used today. This other girl has been through treatment programs and was almost done with DC and ready to graduate, and she used with her.

I don't know if I should say something to our Case manager or if I should let it be. She keeps calling me when she is high once or twice a week telling me how guilty she feels. But she keeps on doing it. I don't want her to get into trouble, but I also don't need another friend overdosing and dying. I care about her. And I am stuck in a rut. I know she will be mad at me, but I think I am willing to let that happen. She might get in trouble, but she will also get the help that she needs. If anyone knows what I should do, or any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. .....*sitting in confusion at the moment*
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thinking you may simply want to keep your distance. You are responsible for yourself and you alone.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

scaredsillie is correct, As addicts we all face "triggers". And as recovering addicts these triggers, like a hydra, can raise it's ugly head any time and anywhere. You see, recovery time is a time of flux for our brain. And much like a pendulum, it can swing either way to the desire it wants most.
Yes we all have choices but as addicts the right choice isn't always the one we make. Are we rational as addicts? Not always but we can fight the fight! You are much stronger than you think. Always remember that!