Notices

Cheating Myself

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cheating Myself

Hi,
I'm a 17 yr old addict from Lethbridge, Alberta. Although I am doing well in my recovery with drugs and alcohol I am really struggling with self acceptance and "being comfortable in my own skin" I am constantly passing judgment on myself and other people. I have always been a people pleaser and this has caused A lot of heartbreak for myself. I want nothing more then to like myself and learn to accept me for all that i am. I feel like i am cheating myself and only seeing my negatives, I want to live a fulfilling and happy life but right now am fulfilling a self prophesy. I am so grateful for my sobriety and now feel it is time to start learning to accept me, the good, bad, and ugly. Thank you for listening and all advice and suggestions are valuable to me. If anyone struggles with this and has found ways to deal with it please let me know! I need it!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

Honestly, just don't struggle and just "be". At 17, most all are full of jumbled emotions. You can't see this from outside appearances, but the "insides" are very much like yours. Find healthy intersests, persue health interests, and just "be".
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a 17 yr old addict from Lethbridge, Alberta. Although I am doing well in my recovery with drugs and alcohol I am really struggling with self acceptance and "being comfortable in my own skin" I am constantly passing judgment on myself and other people. I have always been a people pleaser and this has caused A lot of heartbreak for myself. I want nothing more then to like myself and learn to accept me for all that i am. I feel like i am cheating myself and only seeing my negatives, I want to live a fulfilling and happy life but right now am fulfilling a self prophesy. I am so grateful for my sobriety and now feel it is time to start learning to accept me, the good, bad, and ugly. Thank you for listening and all advice and suggestions are valuable to me. If anyone struggles with this and has found ways to deal with it please let me know! I need it!
Ditto scaredsillie. Getting comfortable in your skin is a process that takes time. I suggest looking at the blessings you do have now: you're alive, sane, sober, have a home, food, etc. Have you been sober very long? It is a huge adjustment to change from a person high on drugs/alcohol to a sober person. But just keep doing what you're doing and it will get much, much better.