Notices

My addiction to Marijuana and "legal highs"

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My addiction to Marijuana and "legal highs"

Hey all,

I typed my story up for another site in third person perspective, and here it is.

I'm getting better - one day at a time, but it's still really hard. People CAN get addicted to pot, and the synthetic "legal" alternatives are WAY worse.

Today was a pretty bad day, so I admitted my addiction to my wife, who was totally understanding. I managed to hide this from her for a LONG time, so I'm happy that she wasn't angry.

He has been clean from Legal Weed for close to a month now, and pot for about a week. It's still hard going (he used pot habitually for many months prior to moving to the "legal alternative") but he is getting there.

Cheers.

Mr. Smith decided to re-type his story. He feels more comfortable sharing the horrible truth behind his addiction, the more he deals with it, and hopes that his story will inspire others.

He had dabbled with Marijuana on and off over the past decade or so, and was recently starting to smoke too much of it again. He was always concerned that what he was doing was illegal, and a few months ago heard about legal alternatives to Marijuana that were being offered for sale from retail outlets in Australia (despite current bans, these things had been "reformulated" apparently) so decided to give it a go. The first time he tried the legal alternative was on holiday interstate - he purchased it from a Legal High shop, tried it, and found it to be very similar to Marijuana.

He thought "great - this stuff is legal, and is like pot". So he ordered some online. He started smoking it more and more, instead of Marijuana. He thought that he was doing the right thing, and substituting his illegal addiction with a legal one. No worse than buying cigarettes or similar, he thought.

However, the more he consumed these "legal highs", the worse he felt his personality changing. He became withdrawn, anxious (more so, he suffered from Depression/Anxiety anyway and was on Zoloft for that), started losing heaps of weight, complete loss of appetite, etc. All the while, he continued to order and consume these products in a big way, smoking more and more to get that "pot-like" effect. He started avoiding social situations, getting out of going to work, etc. People noticed that he was losing a dramatic amount of weight. Still he continued to smoke - he was ADDICTED.

Then, he heard that shops and online stores were having stocks confiscated for testing. So much for a legal high - the manufacturers of this stuff are dodgy and just skirting around the law. Enough was enough - his health was deteriorating fast (both physical and mental) and now there were doubts around the legality of these products. The last of it went in the bin. He felt intense withdrawals. His wife noticed that he was acting odd. He smoked a bit of pot to help with the withdrawals to the synthetic legal substances that were in his system. He cannot stress enough how very REAL these withdrawals were, far worse than anything experienced with nicotine or marijuana. Even smoking weed wasn't really helping. He just felt terrible. He felt that he had somehow ruined his life. He had wasted money on this crap, had smoked WAY TOO MUCH of it (considering that nobody knows what it contains), and just felt like killing himself - seriously.

That was a few weeks ago. After he passed through the worst of the withdrawals he also threw the last little bit of marijuana he had out too. He was done with all of it. The only way he felt he could overcome this addiction to cannabis-like effects (which he was no longer enjoying at all) was to throw the lot out. He threw out his smoking paraphernalia. He reported the sales of these legal highs online within Australia to Police - even though sites and shops were having stocks confiscated, they were just getting different stock (presumably reformulated to dodge the law) in and continuing to sell it!

He couldn't be the only person addicted to this after trying to move away from pot - how can a substance this addictive be marketed as legal? Sales need to stop immediately. Support the bans, the Government has it right on this one...

Now that he's a few weeks away from this "legal high" addiction, he still feels really down on himself for having ever smoked it, but is glad it's over. He also is thankful that this whole experience has turned him off pot too. He is turning his life around. He feels like he was a junkie This stuff isn't like pot at all and should not be marketed as a legal alternative.

He has obtained counseling. He has been reading self-help books. He is on the road to recovery. He has bad days, but never looks at smoking this crap. He is smoking cigarettes at the moment as one of the persistent withdrawal symptoms seems to be a low simmering anxiety that feels like it'd be "fixed" with a cigarette. Has he permanently altered his brain chemistry? He hopes not... but he is scared of that a bit.

Today he admitted his whole story to his wife. He was so scared of doing that, but she was highly supportive - the sense of relief discussing this with a loved one was amazing.

The episodes of paranoia and anxiety are becoming less frequent the further away he gets from this stuff, so he is improving. This week was pretty bad for him, however, and he has felt very low. The relief of admitting this addiction to his wife has made him feel so much better, so it could have been guilt or shame or similar.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today wasn't a good day. Mr. Smith returned to the office after a few weeks at home dealing with his withdrawals. The first contact he had, he had a panic attack. Work thought he was having a cardiac arrest and rushed him to ER :S

Thankfully ECG and all bloods came back clear, so it doesn't look like he has done himself any permanent damage. They prescribed 5 x 5mg Valium to help Mr. Smith get some respite from the anxiety for a few days until it hopefully passes.

Fingers crossed.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Um ... wait ... valium for pot withdrawals? No offense, but that's seriously THE DUMBEST idea I think I've ever heard. Dee, forgive me for this medical advice, but ... tell Mr. Smith to flush that friggin crap, and DEAL with his pot withdrawals. They have NEVER killed anyone, I promise you that.

Sheesh ... you know how many people around here have kicked brutally hardcore benzo (aka Valium!) habits? Quite a few, that is for sure. Taking valium for pot withdrawals is like, I dunno ... smoking crack to help with your speed withdrawals. AKA ... not smart, even if a doctor gave it to you ... I mean, Mr. Smith.

But I guess, hey ... what do I know? Just some random alcoholic addict on an internet message board

Edit: Sorry for my manners ... Welcome to SR.com. Emphasis on SOBER

Seriously though benzos are nothing to be trifled with. I've read stories on here of people having seizures and VIOLENT withdrawals after getting hooked on those things, and not feeling normal again for a YEAR. In fact, people HAVE died kicking benzos.

Point is, if you have an addictive personality, you never know WHAT you might end up 'liking' instead of the pot.

Trust me, I know from whence I speak
Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mr. Smith appreciates the feedback. However, it's not the pot he is withdrawing from (he's withdrawn from pot before and it ISN'T like this - he handled those without issues even after years of habitual pot smoking) - it's the chemical laced Spice blends. The blends he was smoking contained AM-2201 (or so he has read) which has notorious withdrawal symptoms. Mr. Smith felt like he was unable to live within his own skin. These symptoms keep coming back, and today was like a complete plunge back into the heights of the withdrawals. He wishes he had never gone near these things... but he is committed to his recovery, and committed to never relapsing, with support from great resources like this

Mr. Smith has, however, taken heed of your advice and will not be taking the Valium (he has entrusted to his wife for safe-keeping) and will see how he travels.

He sincerely appreciates the warning - he's just at a bit of a lost end
Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I agree completely about avoiding the Valium if at all possible (only sharing my own experience, not intending to give med. advice), I've kicked benzos several times and it is a beast, it can easily turn into a very nasty addiction. Tell Mr. Smith to be careful and good luck Oh, and welcome to SR! This is a wonderful place for support.

-Jess
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I actually read your whole story there after I posted. That is SO LAME that they even have this physically addictive stuff there that's legal, instead of good ol' fashion MJ, which has minimal WD's, if any.

Hang in there ship ... people have recovered from worse, I promise you. It just takes time brother.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

Mr. Smith managed to get a half-decent nights sleep last night...

He has read many horror stories of these products (containing the substance "AM-2201") having withdrawals akin to crack (and that's not an understatement).

Mr. Smith went from habitually smoking a couple of joints of MJ a day, to turning to the legal weed (thinking he was doing the right thing and stopping his illegal activities). He went from smoking 2 joints of Legal weed per day to over a gram a day in LESS THAN A WEEK! Crazy horrible stuff....

It is still marketed as "100% Legal" in Australia because the manufacturers just tinker with the compounds to skirt around the law.

Anyway, Mr. Smith is getting there. He is back in the office today and is actually quite enjoying normal human contact

He has also set up a support forum dedicated to addictions to Legal Weed (and MJ - but he doesn't see that as much of an issue) - PM me if you'd like details...

Thanks again guys
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Shipsia. I think a forum for legal high addiction is a great idea. I’d love to sign up.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
82S
VIP

I think we should not underestimate the power of addiction even on... em... softcore drugs... well shipsia congrats on your decision to quit whatever drugs you where doing... I did not read the whole novel that you written there but I understand that you are using valium to counter the withdrawal... This is a very bad idea if you are self medicate but if your doctor gave it to you you should be very cautious with them as these are no joke. The last think you want is to fight your addiction with a new potential addiction.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a note to those who may not realise - this thread is a year old.
I think Shipsia has left the building...

Hope they're doing well
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
82S
VIP

hahaha yeah! hope so too thnx... its all those fireworks that confused us
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So is there a group for legal highs people? We could set one up maybe?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is a good start for now

if it mushrooms from here and there's a perceived need, Admin will surely think about other things

D