Notices

Day 1 off the pills

Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day 1 off the pills

I guess this can be my launch pad for my experience getting off oxycodone. I have read many other posts and believe this is a good place for current addicts to help each other, and recovering addicts to support eople trying to get off the drug.

Ill leave out all personal information as I am currently the only person who knows about my struggle with addiction. I have a beautiful fiancee who would support me Im sure, but I cant talk to her for fear of lessening her image of me. I have a brother who is currently using so I cant talk to him until Im clean because he is sort of an enabler. My parents hve always been "straight-edge" so Im sure they wouldnt understand. I guess thats why I came here for help.

My story started after a back surgery a few years ago. I started with darvocette(SP?) but that got taken off the market, so I switched to 5mg oxycodone 6x a day. I started elling them and doing them in excess and before I knew it I needed 30 mg at leats to feel normal. I currently would need 90 mg to feel normal.

I am weak, mildy nauseous, spasming, and tired but sleepless. I have traded comments with a cpl users already on another thread, but felt like I was taking over someone elses struggle. Thought it best to start my own.

I have gabapentin and valium to sleep, and have read that these somewhat help for what I fear most.... the next 5 days..... Then the rest of my life. I hope you guys can help with my progress and look forward to interacting with you all throughout this "journey to sobriety."
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sent you a PM buddy. We're here for you as much as you need us!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be strong! Don't look back - look forward and do not think about next week or next month. Just think about now and today only. Everything else will fall into place.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR efft! Posting your own thread is a good idea. You can use it as a journal, to see your progress. Best of luck to you. Stay strong we are all in this together.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Figured I could post a few things ive noticed that help me in case anyone out there is going through the same things as me,
Im lucky enough to be alone in my apt b/c my fiancee works late. The solitude really help me feel more comfortable in my skin.
Hot showers/baths are gret for the chills, and a fresh change of close is nice to get rid of the stiky feeling of the sweats.
I read somewhere that excercise releases endorphins similar to that of a painkiller so whenever I get the urge to grab the phone and dial my dealer I drop and do as many pushups as I can stand and I feel much better after. This could be psychosomatic, but it helped. I know I will be achy later in this journey, but I feel like resisting the urge is more important now. Thanks for all the posts guys/gals.... It really takes my mind off this
Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Couple of suggestions for you buddy. Take a very hot bath or shower before you go to bed. Take another when you wake up. The hot water will help your muscles. For breakfast (when you can food), eat oatmeal and bananas. Bananas will supply you with the potassium your muscles need!
Watch funny shows! Your brain needs the laughs!
Sleep when you can! Also, you may look up the Thomas recipe.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eating...... ugggghhhhh
Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah...... The eating thing.... That's why I said oatmeal and bananas. Trust me when I say your appetite will return in a couple of days. Here I am on day 7 and I ate about 3K calories.... Mmmmmm Cheeseburger and a large coke! But for you my friend, you are going to have to eat something. Eggs are super important too. They contain the proteins that produce Dopamine. Dopamine is something your brain desperately needs now.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

24 hrs w/o opiates
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrads buddy! You're on a roll!!!!!!! BIG PAT ON THE BACK and an ATTA BOY!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

efftheox,

Your name cracks me up totally.

We've been calling it Foking the Ox on the kickin' the ox thread for months. Ha!

Good on ya for your progress, BTW!

FT
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Finally got the courage to tell someone I know. My sister in law is currently battling a suboxine dependance, and I figured I could reach out to her for support. She has gone through the w/ds of oxys before and knows whats in store for me. She offered her help and said I could stay with her for the worst part of it, but I kind of like the solidarity right now. I feeel okay for the time being, but knowing theres an outlet I can go to personally gives me some solace. She offered some sub, but I dont think I want to go that route with my current addiction plaguing me already.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you have some one local to help you with and someone who's been there. I believe you are in good company.
Please keep in mind that subs are just s hard to get off as the ox... So I've heard!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day two without opiates. Im finding it hard to form sentences in my mind much less type them. I woke up easier than I have in a long time, but didnt want to wake up in the first place. I got about 4 hrs of sleep, mostly thanks to the gab and val, but some is better than none I guess. I might go to my siter in laws today as my brother would understand. He also has a problem with the ox, but I am hesitant to go there. Dont want to scare him into not stopping ever. Suggestions?

I have a quick question, my legs have been going nuts for the past 36 hrs, I know there isnt much to stop this, but I was wondering if anyone knew why this was such a common sypmtom of w/ds????
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

RLS is fairly synonymous with W/D. You're in for a rough patch but you can do it buddy. I was just there last week!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

good for you man! I'm on day six and I'm starting to feel better. You can do it. I don't know why the leg thing happens, but i know it sucks! Hot baths and working out have been my saving grace. Hang in there. detox is the hardest thing ever, but its so beautiful on the other side!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Chris has a good point about the hot bath. Soak yourself in a hot bath for 20 minutes and take potasium and magnesium. Bannanas a great source! THe hot water and vitamins will help the RLS!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just read a post last night where is was explained - the RLS.
It's the nerves healing.
So try to look at it as a good thing....
I get RLS from a night med I use sparingly....and it's such a pain in the butt that
sparingly means about 3 times a month, if that. argh!
it'll get better very very soon!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Went out to get bananas and the anxiety was tremendous. I was shaking at the register and could barely get the money out... wtf. Ive never felt like that before... I suspect Im gonna feel a lot of new things...