Notices

Does it really matter what I used?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it really matter what I used?

I understand the curiosity, but I don't honestly see why it actually matters, as if, after the initial withdrawal period, it really mattered what drugs I was doing in the first place. People do ask, though, what was my drug of choice. This used to be important to me, but after experimenting so much, it all started to seem the same. I affectionately referred to myself as a "Walgreens junkie", taking all assortments of OTC and prescription drugs, in addition to pot, alcohol, and a handful of other drugs I experiemented with. In the end, it didn't matter what I was taking as much as why I was taking it (which I'm still not completely sure of). I just ask because it seems here that everybody is so specific about what drugs they used/were addicted to, as if a program of recovery had to somehow be adapted to fit whatever drug they were using. Maybe that's just an early recovery thing, although I'm still in early recovery, I've just had so many relapses on different stuff that I've learned it doesn't make a difference what you are doing, you are either going to get clean/sober, or you're not.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you're right, it does seem to matter to us more early in recovery. I believe it's because it takes us a while to start relating to the similarities more than seeing the differences. At first, I thought I needed to have a sponsor with my same DoC. A while back, someone offhandedly asked what was my sponsor's DoC, and I thought about it and realized, while I've been with him 10 years or more, I didn't even know. Heck, he's got 33 years, he may not even remember, lol.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

well, i think maybe it is sort of because a heroin addict isnt normally a meth addict too, or an alcoholic, while there are others who do a handful of drugs. like with alcoholics, for instance 10 in 100 people who drink will become an alcoholic where as most people who try meth will get addicted. I think there is a difference in the mentality, but recovery is the same and that's whats important
Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

It helps me a lot, because I don't know how to advise, or make suggestions to, someone who has used cocaine or meth, but I do know about addiction to alcohol and opiates because I have experienced those things.

It makes a huge difference.

In terms of general support or "cheering squad" stuff, not so much.

FT