Notices

SSRI and Stimulants fry brain...

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SSRI and Stimulants fry brain...

According to this article:

http://www.drcordas.com/education/Fi...ants%20fry.pdf

Why do they so easy prescribe these meds if this is the case?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ugh. And my doctor just prescribed me a SSRI recently.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I read the article but also noted the date on it
Written by Carol Sieverling, our group's facilitator, this information is based on tapes of
her October 2000 visit to Dr. Cheney. He gave permission to share this information, but
has not reviewed or edited it.
I think that before I take it to heart I will do a bit more research on the subject and see if I can find anything that is more recent or any other studies that have been done. I have to question how pure the research is since there is a book associated with this which obviously they want to sell.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I trust the FDA over the opinion of one person.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wasn't very functional before my SSRI, I think i'll risk that brain fry
Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hm surely this is just scare mongering/hyperbole? A doctor will prescribe you the lowest possible dose of SSRIs for your symptoms and any doctor will tell you to get counselling too. Any doctor I've had monitored my dose well but people do need to co-operate with the doctor. Sometimes depressed people won't take their antidepressants or take them one day and not the next. If you're mildly depressed, then exercise, CBT, positive thinking etc may do the trick but for moderate and severe depression, anti-depressants are usually required also. It can take a while to find the right anti-depressant for you but the more recent anti-depressants have fewer side effects. I really don't see the big deal-after all, isn't it better taking a SSRI to self-medicating with either food or alcohol or drugs?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Without SSRI's and a dual-diagnosis treatment plan my anxiety/depression was not so manageable. I tried SSRI's alone and things just improved a little bit. So they do help but when combined with therapy techniques, life got a whole lot better. I'll stick with the SSRI's.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used SSRI a few years ago after becoming depressed after my father died. I was getting confused in work, instantly forgetting what someone had just said and was very anxious.

At the time I was drinking about half to one bottle of red wine a day. My doctor prescribed SSRI, can't recall which one but I think they are similar and work in the same way. The initial side affects for me were quite bad and I just lay on the floor all day having been signed off work.

Eventually, things settled down and I did start to feel more positive about things in general. However, despite recommendations that drinking whilst on antidepressants was not a good idea I still continued and I think this lessoned their affect and therefore prolonged my depression. I was off work for 9 months before I went back.

Speak to your doctor and listen to what they have to say but you may need to seriously stop drinking or take some medical guidance.

Good luck
Stuart