Notices

Not sure if I'm addicted to oxys!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Not sure if I'm addicted to oxys!

I started taking 15mg of oxycodone this summer after my MRI showed damage in my back from a fall down the train station stairs! I am not what so ever taking them to get high at all! I recently wanted to see how bad my back pain would get if I didn't take them for a few days! I was getting cold sweats and I felt as if I needed to move my legs! The dr says its jus restless legs syndrome but I feel it's more then that and im so scared! I tried reaching out to my parents and they just call me a junkie! I don't feel like I am! My husband says its going to be ok it's not addiction if I'm not taking them to get high! I'm so confused has anyone had this problem? Am I addicted?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dependence and addiction are two separate things. Everyone who takes opiates long term will eventually become dependent. If you are taking them as prescribed and not to get high you should have no problem coming off of them based on your doctors recommendations. Let your doctor know what your exact symptoms are and he/she should be able to help you come off of them.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Acof23,

When I had orthopedic surgery (double knee replacements), I had this discussion with the nurse at my surgeon's office. She told me that because this kind of surgery involves at least 3 weeks of opiates postop, ALL the patients become dependent, which is why the surgeon has patients taper off over those three weeks. Even then, the nurse told me that most people have withdrawal after they stop entirely, even from a low dose.

Withdrawal/detox does include restless legs/restless body. It also involves some rebound pain, so you feel your pain more acutely than you did while on the drug. Opiates lower your pain threshold, and it takes a few weeks to reset to normal.

I don't know if this helps explain what you are feeling or not. Marcus is right that dependence and addiction are not the same thing. Don't do what I did and continue to take this poison any longer than you absolutely have to. I ended up with a 2+ year nightmare trying to quit taking them. I've now been free of them for almost a year.

Ft
Old 12-12-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unhappy Thank you

Yes it did help a bit! It just doesn't help when you have peoPle calling you a junkie when your asking for help. It upsets me and I'm so depressed! The dr prescribed me Wellbutrin for it but things just seem to be getting worse in my life and I didnt want addiction to be another issue! I really have no one and I a glad I found this site. I thought I had my friends but, no one is really there when you need them!