Notices

Anxiety in Recovery

Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety in Recovery

I have extreme and I mean extreme anxiety and a recovering addict. My drugs of choice were opiates and benzos. Any advice on dealing with anxiety without drugs would be most appreciated. I am finding it hard to go to meetings and finding friends. I am a newbie here and am in early recovery.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Hi Suze,

I quit my DOC (alcohol) years ago, but anxiety has been an ongoing issue, something that with me was not caused by the alcohol (although believe me, the alcohol made things worse!) and that did not go away when I quit.

For a time I fell into the trap of thinking that if I had "good sobriety", that would take care of everything....but it turned out that for me the solution was (i) a good therapist, and (ii) a low dose of an SSRI. Understand, I am not telling you to take meds, I am not a doctor and am not attempting to give you medical advice! I am simply suggesting that if, with several months clean of your DOC, you are still anxious, you may be someone who needs more than simple abstinence to keep the anxiety at bay, and you might benefit from seeing a mental health professional.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Yoga, meditation, counseling, positive readings, keeping busy, exercise, etc.... Also I am of the firm belief that there is nothing wrong with seeking mental health help in sobriety if needed which may include medications. Just make sure you are honest with your doctor and voice your concerns.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yoga, meditation, counseling, positive readings, keeping busy, exercise, etc.... Also I am of the firm belief that there is nothing wrong with seeking mental health help in sobriety if needed which may include medications. Just make sure you are honest with your doctor and voice your concerns.
Excellent advice! You can get sober and have a great life but it takes hard work. I suggest trying much harder to get to meetings where the support of others will is a huge help in staying sober. Anxiety is very common in recovering addicts/alcoholics but we do learn to deal with it. I also needed medication which improved everything greatly.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was suffering with panic attacks when I stopped taking cocaine, so my drug support worker suggested that I tried acupuncture and it really works as I felt really calm after my first session.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

A lot of good suggestions offered so far .

I take a couple of prescribed medications that help somewhat with my sever anxiety. Yet I still have major anxiety when doing or going somewhere new. I say 'new' because desensitization therapy helps greatly with becoming relaxed to anxious situations as I do them on a regular basis.

When faced with a new situation or even with a few situations where I still have panic attacks, I do it anyway. I feel the anxiety, go through all the physical symptoms and just do it. I used to have to push through the mental fear and all the mind chatter that came with the fear. Now I have learned to be grounded in the moment, all that mental stuff has lessened almost to the point of nothing.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You may still be going through withdraw, which certainly causes anxiety. I suggest making getting a sponsor to help you through these tough times and sharing about it in meetings. You'll be helping others going through the same thing.

Congrats on getting sober!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and so far you are doing great! so kudos and congrats!

I use Valerian and passion flower. For me, it is great.

Also, a nice small loving dog does wonders for me when I am stressed
Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i am going through the same feelings anxiety nervousness sleepless nights my drug of choice was opiates after a 10yr addiction i finally woke up and moved 250 miles away after telling my mother. I firstly stopped using and when i moved away i started dropping the methadone i am on after 4 months i am down to 19ml and next week i am doing 3 days straight then on to subutex after a month on them i am being reduced. The last 3 weeks i have been a nervous wreck especially not sleeping I have a great doctor who has given me sleeping tablets and anti-depression tablets and i am just going to get on with it. The thin that most scares me is what after its all done?? I almost feel like i need to re learn myself as I have absaloutly no self confidence or self worth really and my key worker will not see me till mid January I have not been offered any help I have just been left to my own devices really. I have started drinking herbal teas too valerien and lemon and honey tea.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My doctor said that when you stop taking a mind-altering medication it does the opposite of what it did when you started taking it. It's part of withdrawal but stick with it, things will improve.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
A lot of good suggestions offered so far .

I take a couple of prescribed medications that help somewhat with my sever anxiety. Yet I still have major anxiety when doing or going somewhere new. I say 'new' because desensitization therapy helps greatly with becoming relaxed to anxious situations as I do them on a regular basis.

When faced with a new situation or even with a few situations where I still have panic attacks, I do it anyway. I feel the anxiety, go through all the physical symptoms and just do it. I used to have to push through the mental fear and all the mind chatter that came with the fear. Now I have learned to be grounded in the moment, all that mental stuff has lessened almost to the point of nothing.
I too have been finding some relief in learning to stay grounded in the present. A book by Jeffrey Brantley called "Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear and Panic" seems to do a good job of bringing mindfulness to bear on anxiety.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I find the slogans of the 12 step programme great for dealing with anxiety:

fear=face everything and recover
fear=false evidence appearing real
act as if (even if you're nervous, just pretend to be confident and eventually you will feel like that)
fake it til you make it
your mind is a bad neighbourhood, don't go there alone (stick to meetings, sponsor, contact with positive people, literature)
move a muscle, change a thought (exercise will boost your mood or even just any kind of activity just to take your mind of something)
let and let god (do your best and then hand it over to your higher power)
just for today (focus on dealing with your anxiety one day at a time, if it feels really hard just say "its just for today" and it feels easier then.)
do the right next thing(if you don't know to do..useful to break things down into chunks so they're more manageable)
one thing at a time
you have to go to these meetings until you want to go (can apply to anything, you have to practise dealing with your fears until eventually it becomes easier and easier)
this too shall pass (it won't always be as hard, you're in early recovery so it *will* get easier, I know it prob doesn't feel like that now so just focus on one day at a time and eventually the days will add up.

I would also say aim to talk to one new person at each meeting and once you've done that, give yourself a nice reward, like a nice coffee afterwards. That way, you're working your recovery, making contacts, and hopefully making new friends too. I would say persist with it. With making friends, it can be a bit hit or miss at times, so you need to keep at it til you get people you do like. with friends it really is just "a numbers game", the more people you talk to, the more friends you're likely to have. I've gone to al-anon meetings so I know at the start, it can seem scary, that everyone already knows each other, that the programme is daunting etc. But I found people really helpful at the meetings. I also found helping out at the meetings and doing service, like putting the literature out at the start of the meeting meant I had to be there early, that I had to turn up even though I didn't want to. Or even just making tea and putting the biscuits out. Its also a good way of striking up conversation with people and everyone is delighted when you get involved, it really is the more the merrier as it all involves a community effort to make the meetings happen in the first place.

would also agree with Augie re the mindfulness exercises
Old 12-22-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for your response. I am trying so hard to force myself to go through very scary situations that previously I would avoid. It seems to be helping a little. I fight with the medication side of dealing with my anxiety. Fellow members in my meetings definately frown upon usage of ANY medication in sobriety. I am getting to other meetings hoping to find others like myself.